Weightlifting/Workout Thread

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, I know I ain't the only one here who works out, so let this be a discussion thread. Post your maxes, your routine, questions, complaints, goals, ect.

My Maxes

Benchpress- 235
Squat- 315
Power Clean- 200
Military Press- 185
Dead Lift- Around 450
Incline Bench- 210

I really want to improve my legs and core this year. I would like all of my arm lifts to be up by around 20% by May, legs by 25-30%.

I workout every weekday, as follows:

Monday- Arms
Tuesday- Legs
Wednesday- Shoulders, back, core, or cardio
Thursday- Arms
Friday- Legs

The Arm workouts generally consist of 4x25 pushups, 4x8 Benchpress, 4x8 Decline Press, Front Dumbell Lifts, Rows, ect.

Legs- Squats, Deadlift, Power Jumps (with 100 lbs of weight), lunges, ect.

My main difficulty with my squats is flexibility, as it is difficult for me to come fully parralel. When we started, we did something called rack squats, in which the distance you come down is decreased by about a third, and I was pushing 600 lbs. I would really like to gain a lot of flexability back, so I can put up numbers closer to that.

I am also wanting to improve my cardio. May start devoting two days a week to it, in addition to my normal workout.

Don't tell me about maxes or rep structures. Talk to me about form. If the bar doesn't touch your chest on a bench press or an incline press, no lift. If your lower back comes off of the bench, no lift. If your hips don't drop below your knees on a squat, no lift. Form is key.

Don't tell me about maxes or rep structures. Talk to me about form. If the bar doesn't touch your chest on a bench press or an incline press, no lift. If your lower back comes off of the bench, no lift. If your hips don't drop below your knees on a squat, no lift. Form is key.

I agree. I keep correct form on all lifts. When I began lifting around 2 years ago, my coach had us work on form for almost a month. I got it down. I lose a lot of strength over football season, so now I am trying to gain it back, plus I wanna drop about 30 lbs.

bench-300
incline- 310
squat-405
power clean-290
wall climb- 225
backward forearm- 100
row box- 300
head knock- 85
finger raises- 45

Spoiler
Haha this is a joke, I have no clue what I do now

bench-300
incline- 310
squat-405
power clean-290
wall climb- 225
backward forearm- 100
row box- 300
head knock- 85
finger raises- 45

Spoiler
Haha this is a joke, I have no clue what I do now

Lol. Old maxes?

Workout fast. Workout your entire body each workout.

My workout sessions consist of:

Monday:
Purmotion suspension training

Wednesday:
Deadlifts
Incline Bench
Dumbbell High pulls
Overhead barbbell split squats

Friday:
Front Squats
Standing Single Arm Dumbbell Over Head Press
Dumbbell Swings
Excersice Ball Jack Knifes.

I spend no longer than 30 minutes in the gym.

60 to 100 lbs rotated with 10 reps X 3 on all the weight machines in our gym five days per week. I also do 20 minutes on the eliptical machine and then 15 on the stationary bike five days a week. I do not rotate my muscle group workouts but have the same routine every day. I am working towards strength & flexability (not bulk) .

Our workouts are designed to be fit into a school period of 55 minutes. Great way to end the day, I'm tellin ya...
Workout fast. Workout your entire body each workout.

My workout sessions consist of:

Monday:
Purmotion suspension training

Wednesday:
Deadlifts
Incline Bench
Dumbbell High pulls
Overhead barbbell split squats

Friday:
Front Squats
Standing Single Arm Dumbbell Over Head Press
Dumbbell Swings
Excersice Ball Jack Knifes.

I spend no longer than 30 minutes in the gym.

I lifted all through college and several years after. I took the past 8 months off and started back up last week. I always had the "lift as much weight as I can" mentality. (300lb max bench with 173 body weight, great form) I am changing everything up and doing lower weights with higher reps for some endurance. I am gearing my workouts to get maximum benefits for my golf game. I want to really get my flexibility up this winter/spring. Be careful with squats as they are hell on knees and lower back.

. Be careful with squats as they are hell on knees and lower back.

You are telling me. Back days are the worst, though. We do weighted back bends that KILL

I use to be a hardcore weight lifter. Was in the weight lifting club all through college. I use to be able to throw the kg's around the pumphouse. I worked out with some big, hardcore dudes. Most of them were on the juice. I never touched it. I was all about how much I could lift and pure mass. I haven't lifted in quite some time and now I'm fat. All that muscle, bulk, and protein caught up to me.

I'd recommend throwing max'ing out of the window. Focus on more reps with gradual increases in weight. More reps, less weight, keep that heart rate up......you'll tone, increase muscle and get in cardio.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

I disagree. If done with proper weight, some soreness is inevitable.

Soreness is different than injury or pain. Correct form and control does not hurt joints or back. If you lean forward too much, you're gonna get hurt. Do front squats using a power clean grip. Less stress on the lower back and a better builder for power.

Speaking of which, after getting back to work after Holidays, I am more sore than usual. I have been taking Ibuprofin. Any other suggestions.

Speaking of which, after getting back to work after Holidays, I am more sore than usual. I have been taking Ibuprofin. Any other suggestions.

do not take ibuprofin. It is an anti-flamitory. Bananas. Lots of Bananas.

I don't lift weights. Don't want to sacrifice flexibility. Hard enough to get in and out of a cart for 18 holes without being all bulked up.

Kevin

Esox,

Blame it on the cheese curbs and brews.

We had a hardcore weight lifting coach, that worked our butt off. A couple of my buddies did power lifting during basketball season (I played they lifted lol) and they were just freaks. I will tx you some of there weights they did, just crazy stuff. Our coach also does competition lifting himself, so we had to follow every thing to perfection. Going past parallel for it to count on squats. holding for a full second on bench before coming up and just all of that stuff. Our workouts got pretty intense.

do not take ibuprofin. It is an anti-flamitory. Bananas. Lots of Bananas.

Hmm. I always though the anti inflamatory properties would help. What about protein powder?

< 30 minutes after the workout. Remember, soreness is weakness leaving the body.

This thread depresses me.
:violin:

Great thread. Form and diet are almost everything, but you have to enjoy the workout during and after each session, so after a ton's of reasurch I've came up with my own workout, that allow's for complete refreshment after every set. Liz taped my last session, enjoy:

Spoiler
[YOUTUBE]y7pJz-6oxIE&feature[/YOUTUBE]

I could totally do that...

Back