Who has never seen a mountain range?

RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
Title says it all.
We have a large group up from Oklahoma for training because of the company's finance department moving down there, and I've had about a dozen of them come by my cubicle [which faces the mountains] just to stare and oggle for awhile. It seems that none of them have actually seen a mountain before.

It must be that I/We (in Calgary and area) take it for granted, and don't really pay attention to staring at them unless [like today] they are beautifully lit with their snow caps just glowing in the early morning light.

I grew up in New York City. Didn't see a Mountain range until I moved to Colorado when I was 25

The view out of my office window is of the Olympic mountains. Absolutely gorgeous.

Well I travel all over the country with my job, so been there and done that............but I will still stop and gaze for a while when I haven't been there for a while. I guess you take it for granted when you see it out of your window every day!!!

The view out of my office window is of the Olympic mountains. Absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah mine is of the east side of the rockies!
I wish my iPhone could capture this scene properly... it is actually awesome to behold.

I lived out west for a few years and got to see the Rocky Mountains, truly a sight to see.

I grew up in Florida, but when I move to Colorado...OMG! Whenever my friends, classmates visit from Florida, they are amazed.

I lived out west for a few years and got to see the Rocky Mountains, truly a sight to see.
I thought the Rocky Mountains would be a little more rocky than this.

Yeah that John Denver is full of sh--.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I remember the first time I drove to Denver and as soon as you can see the Rocky's it is one of the coolest sites and feelings ever. We have the Black Hills on the west end of S.D. which are supposedly mountains but really not since if you feel from the top of them you'd likely just scrape an arm or knee. I want to get down to the mountains where the brothers Calloway roam, what are those, the Appalachian Mountains??

Last edited:
Title says it all.
We have a large group up from Oklahoma for training because of the company's finance department moving down there, and I've had about a dozen of them come by my cubicle [which faces the mountains] just to stare and oggle for awhile. It seems that none of them have actually seen a mountain before.

It must be that I/We (in Calgary and area) take it for granted, and don't really pay attention to staring at them unless [like today] they are beautifully lit with their snow caps just glowing in the early morning light.

Back in College I was dating this girl from LA. One Christmas I took her back to northern California for the "meet Snap Hooks"
We were taking our bags out of the car when I hear her shriek and jump back into the car. I turn around and see one of the hundreds of deer that roam around here and I started to laugh. It had not occured to me in all her years of living in Las Angeles, she had never seen deer before.

You do have beautifull nature up there Rat. I spent a year in vancouver/whistler area back in 2001. Gorgeous country.

I got my first experience with the mountains 2 years ago when I took a temporary transfer to Wyoming and worked up in the mountains ranging from 8,000-10,000 feet. A totally different experience from the 700-800 foot flat land of the midwest that I'd always known.

I want to get down to the mountains where the brothers Calloway roam, what are those, the Appalachian Mountains??

It's some pretty cool country, especially if you take the wandering route that I took and added an hour or 2 onto my drive.

I went to college in Iowa. That was just a little bit different from my hometown Bergen (where I live now). There are seven mountains that "surround" the city.

BergenCenter.JPG

bergen%20vaagen%208.jpg

I went to college in Iowa. That was just a little bit different from my hometown Bergen (where I live now). There are seven mountains that "surround" the city.

BergenCenter.JPG

bergen%20vaagen%208.jpg

All I can say is WOW!!!

Oh the Alps, they're so beautiful.
My friend is in Vienna for an exchange and it's stunning.

furu, that is freaking spectacular.

I need to add that to my post wife graduating vacation list. Wow.

I live in the Smoky Mtns next to the National Park. I love hiking as much as I love golf.

Furu - it really is amazing. What a fantastic picture. I love how many people are climbing up and down the mtn!

We have a lovely mountain range here in the San Gabriel Valley (Los Angeles suburb) and we have deer in the mountains too! But, if you actually grow up in Los Angeles, I imagine you'd never really see deer. We don't go much to the mountains however, unless it's for recreational-snow purposes. On another note, more than 5 people this winter have told me that they've never seen snow fall (born and raised Angelenos). That kind of tripped me out.

Pictures?

I took a couple with my phone but they just don't show them well. They are about 30/40 miles away as the crow flies and I can just see the highest peaks (about 9,000 feet). It is sunny here, about 20 degrees (record cold), ice blue sky and beautiful snow capped peaks.

Title says it all.

I lived near the base of Pike's Peak for about 2 years. I took that for granted and didn't even realize it until I moved to flat Chicago.

Used to live in Wyoming and Montana and I miss the views every day.

I'm super jealous that you get to look at the rockies from your window. I've got to drive at least 2 hours just to see them from a distance. 4 to actually get there. I love the mountains.

A couple years ago, AG and I took a vacation to see her Mom in Cranbrook BC. Drove through Jasper to Lake Louise along the Icefields Parkway. Beautiful. On that same trip we drove around through Golden to see some of the sights alongs the way like Natural Bridge and Takkakaw Falls by Field BC and Johnson Canyon by Banff AB. Great trip. I took over 1700 pics on that trip. Mountains rock!

EDIT: This is the only pic I have on my work computer from that trip. This was taken around Hector Lake along the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Lake Louise.

DesktopEdit.jpg

Last edited:
The Icefields parkway is absolutely stunning.
One of the best drives out there.
david_williamson.jpg

The Icefields parkway is absolutely stunning.
One of the best drives out there.
david_williamson.jpg

Dang! I hope that's not your ride! :D

That whole area from Jasper down to Radium is an awesome drive. I love how the highway is cut right down into the cliffs at Radium. Really cool. Lake Louise is one of my favorite places. Although I am slightly biased as that were I proposed to AG.

Dang! I hope that's not your ride! :D

That whole area from Jasper down to Radium is an awesome drive. I love how the highway is cut right down into the cliffs at Radium. Really cool. Lake Louise is one of my favorite places. Although I am slightly biased as that were I proposed to AG.

Haha we have one like that, that one's out of Edmonton.

Back