Shaking things up - playing from the ladies tees

Nuevo_eph

Reaction score
Handicap
In an experiment that is sure to be harder than it sounds, my informal work scramble group is going to all tee off from the ladies' tees tonight. It should make for an almost entirely new experience. I'll chime back in with anything informative after the fact.

Eph

I play the senior tee's now and then to mix it up a bit and it makes things interesting, plus I'm only five years from moving up officially at my home course.

I played the other day with a senior and so we played the "Ole Gray" tees....
I shot 5 strokes worse than I normally do.......

2 clubs makes a lot of difference....

I've often thought about doing this. But the par 5's I would use driver, maybe, it just wouldn't be fun for me. I have to play from the tips to hone in my skills on my longer clubs I just don't think I would enjoy it, I prefer the challenge.

I've often thought about doing this. But the par 5's I would use driver, maybe, it just wouldn't be fun for me. I have to play from the tips to hone in my skills on my longer clubs I just don't think I would enjoy it, I prefer the challenge.

You play from the tips with a 12 handicap?? Your brave.

The 3 wood needs time too in place of your driver.......You could hone your skills playing up by playing different clubs off the tee, different clubs into the greens than your normal shots.
I don't play up often, but a lot can be learned from doing so from time to time. It forces you to hit shots you normally don't have playing the same tee's all the time. Give it try sometime.

In an experiment that is sure to be harder than it sounds, my informal work scramble group is going to all tee off from the ladies' tees tonight. It should make for an almost entirely new experience. I'll chime back in with anything informative after the fact.

Eph

What color skirts are you wearing? LOL.

I kid. Kind of.

Kevin

I play from the forward tees on occasion. Use different clubs, different course strategy. It's fun. By the way, Sam Snead said that all golfers should play from the forward tees until they shoot par or better.

Occasionally as I travel and play as a single, I get paried up with many different types and skill sets of golfers. I many times end up playing from appox 58-6200 yds. I often find that I play worse. I get this silly mind set that tells me I ought to be shooting par or very close to it. It should be good for my game, and I ought to learn to just play MY game. But I dont.
Same thing sometimes for scramble tourneys. I end up pulling out driver and wailing away. Not really good for my game.
Need to find a way to make these situations good rather than bad for me.

What color skirts are you wearing? LOL.

I kid. Kind of.

Kevin

That is why I'll only move up to the senior tee's. I'm closer to being a senior than I am a women.........I hope anyway! :D

Depends on how long your tips are...
There are a lot of places around here where "tips" means 6800, which is very reasonable for a mid-low handicap

As far as playing the ladies tees:
Go for it, especially if this your home course (or a course you know VERY well). I know at my home course I always hit the same clubs to roughly the same places on the course- having to see the course from a whole different angle/perspective is good for the course management side of your game.

Well I love the challenge besides it makes you better...if you work at it. I liek to think that way
And the blacks are only 6644 at my course. But when I play elsewhere I still play the tips. I love courses over 7000

the place i play the ladies and senior's tee are the same. I've occasionally thought of playing a round from the ladies tee's just for a change of pace/see what it would be like, but i don't have the courage to be seen playing from those tee's.

I am in a weekly league at my local course that mainly plays from the tees that are 5700 yards. Once a month we switch it up and either play the blue tees (6250 yds) or move up to the 4500 yd gold tees. The course plays very different from each set of tees, but I have a lot of fun playing from the gold tees (4500 yds). Alot of the par 4's turn into long par 3's and every par 5 is driver/wedge. I managed to shoot a 74 last year during one of the gold tee rounds and I can't wait until we do it again in May. My game has improved by leaps and bounds since then, so I hope to shoot par. Of course now that I say this I will most likely play terribly.

Sometimes its fun to play from different tees because it can completely change how you play a golf course.

one night last year for mens night, everyone played from the green tees, basically between the red (front) and white, and I shot darn well... turns 170y par 3s into 120y, makes it much easier.

That being said I am going to play all the way back as much as I can this year so I can experience the same feeling when I play the white tees in competitions.

Sometimes its fun to play from different tees because it can completely change how you play a golf course.

Thats the idea. It forces you to hit shot you not normally play.

I would think one way to make this better would be to leave your driver at home and play with just 3W and down from the forward tees, eliminate the temptation to hit driver on short par 4s all together.

I would think one way to make this better would be to leave your driver at home and play with just 3W and down from the forward tees, eliminate the temptation to hit driver on short par 4s all together.

In fact- don't play any woods at all. Hybrids and Irons. FORCE yourself to work on your ball striking and not get by with the bigstick on a short course.

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

At the course I play most often (since my dad likes it and its cheap) total distace is about 5600-5700 and they have 4 sets of tee boxes, however they only play red/white/blue. They constantly rotate the white tee box between the 2 middle tee boxes, and some holes play the forward middle box and some play the back box. So you could go on a monday and play the course, then if you go back friday some of the holes will be playing 20 yards longer and some 20 yards shorter. On their score card both middle boxes are listed as white. The blue & red boxes always are static.

Sometimes if I want to work on something, Ill tee off with a smaller club intentionally leaving myself a longer club to make my next shot from since its a shorter course.

My buddy and I dan when we play by ourselves, we normally move to the back tees. It makes it a total different course. I know it sounds funny, but ponds come in to play and different spots as well as trees and dog legs so I definitely have to play the course and not try stuff I would normally try when I play from my usual tees.

To avoid playing the women's tees, I will play our "senior" tees which are also considered our women's champion or back tees. I like it because it forces me to hit different shots and not just go for the driver on most of the 4's and 5's. However, it also lets me hit a driver where I usually hit a hybrid or 3 wood and take a little more risk. It's a good way to see your home course from a different perspective on a quiet evening. I don't think I could talk my Sat/Sunday foursome into doing it though.

I played the whites my first time out this year instead of the blues, for a difference of 500 yards (5800 from the whites and 6300 from the blues). Even a few hundred yards overall made me play the game completely differently. I hit 5i off of more tees than I hit driver. It definitely exposed some weak areas in my game. I'm actually looking forward to playing different tees this year to see what areas of my game they really make me focus on.

Well it was fun as I couldn't resist trying to bomb the driver on suddenly short par 4's. My drives were mostly off but one guy on our team landed on the green from about 300 out and we scrambled the eagle in. All in all, we played 7 under through the 9 and beat the other team by 3 strokes. My wife even had fun because she NEVER had any pressure off the tee box and we gave her one mulligan a hole to balance it out.

On a negative note, leave the Mashies/hybrids at home if you are playing in a ladies tee scramble. Someone will hit a decent enough drive that you are almost certainly hitting 9i or better for an approach on par 5s.

I love doing this at my home course. It essentially gives you another course to play with the major differences in yardage. It's sometimes tougher on your tee shots as well you have to take different clubs and be a lot more careful because it brings a lot more trouble to where you can reach it. Overall its a ton of fun.

Back