5 - 10 - 15 Challenge

just be careful bro, that diet will take a toll on the ole heart

One-T, just curious what makes you say that? Atkins has many phases (induction, ongoing weight loss, and lifetime maintenance) and your diet changed (pretty significantly) throughout that making adjustments for the long term effect on you and your body. Most studies (at least the 10 or so I have read) test atkins long term effect on your heart by testing the induction phase for anywhere from 4-8 weeks and thats nuts, induction should be a 1-2 week thing and then you gradually make adjustments eventually getting to a very "normal" diet missing only the super processed crappy sugars and the carbs they entail.

Atkins has shown time and time again that it works and is safe as well, the key to that though is doing your due diligence and reading about and understanding the diet before hopping in. Most people that either fail with Atkins or have issues and side effect from it don't follow it properly. Alot of people think its a "meat and fat only diet" and its NO WHERE near that (dont get me wrong though, I eat the hell out of some bacon and meat on it lol) because veggies are the real key to it. I won't post my blood/stress test results from before and 2 months in up for the world to see but suffice to say I'm a much healthier person and I'm never starving like I was as a strictly calorie counter or weight watchers guy.

I SINCERELY hope you don't take this as a rant One-T because that is in NO WAY what its meant as, I'm just very curious and I've dealt with alot of assumptions from my friends about it so I've had to study up on it (and I love to learn what other people think, honestly). Plus, I and my soon to be doctor wife would have NEVER gotten into something of a lifestyle change like Atkins without doing our due diligence and researching the piss out of it, unfortunately I think too many people leap before they look when it comes to diets.

Anywho, I havent updated in a while so back on topic! I'm still sitting about 208-210 depending on the day and I love it. So much so I'm not really striving for 190 anymore and have upped my carb intake a ton over the last few weeks to see hom much I can have without gaining and its been nice. I may make the puch for 190 this summer, but for now I'm still in love with being able to wear large shirts to work at my current weight, so cool!

Last edited:
just be careful bro, that diet will take a toll on the ole heart

I've always heard atkins (like all diets) is ok in moderation. I'm not a physio, but if it fits your lifetsyle and you see results; keep up the good work.

One tip that i've found lately is to eat your 'big' meals right after exercising (whenever possible). The thought is your increased heart rate will help digest the meal faster and protect it against sitting in your belly all night. I switched my workout schedule a bit a few weeks ago and noticed an improvement. Worst thing to do is stuff yourself full then head right to bed...

Glad to see the good results are still showing up in this thread.
I'm down 8 pounds since I joined in at the first of this month. Hopefully I can keep the pounds coming off (even if it happens slowly).
I am sure looking forward to losing another 8 pounds and seeing the scale drop below 200 pounds for the first time in a year or more.

I'm down 8 pounds since I joined in at the first of this month. Hopefully I can keep the pounds coming off (even if it happens slowly).
I am sure looking forward to losing another 8 pounds and seeing the scale drop below 200 pounds for the first time in a year or more.

Great job there Arkie! 8 pounds is a big feat for sure. Congrats and keep it up!

Thats fantastic Arkie! Slow is key I think especially if you're counting lbs. Makes it harder for them to come back I think.

Figured I'd chime in since I'm on a quest myself....I have fairly big weight shifts over the course of the year. Gaining in the winter/holiday months and losing In the spring/summer. I'm never really happy with my summer weight so In January, on top of my nursing classes I decided to take a crossfitness class as well. Basically you have to do 28 hours in the gym over the quarter. I am driven by getting good grades so motivation is taken care of. I didn't weigh myself before I started but I am fitting onto clothes a little more comfortably. Biggest gain I've seen is in my chest shoulders and arms. Also going In I HATED the elliptical machine but now I love it.

The gains I've seen ( all of these I can rep out 10 times. ) barbell curling 110 lbs (that's the long bar) incline bench press is up to 265, horizontal squats 400 lbs , it's the Max on the machine. Those are just some examples. My goal isn't to get huge, I really want to get rid of my little pooch in my tummy, but having nice arms wouldn't hurt either. I'm only 5'10"' and the heaviest I've been is about 260. The ideal weight for me now is around 200 and I'd say I'm closer to 200 than 260. I am going to do the same crossfitness class this quarter and see where we can go. :)

Great job there Arkie! 8 pounds is a big feat for sure. Congrats and keep it up!

Thats fantastic Arkie! Slow is key I think especially if you're counting lbs. Makes it harder for them to come back I think.

Thanks! If only I could make myself get on the elliptical a little more often, I could probably have some better results!
Now that my back is finally starting to feel better, I'm also about ready to give my new carry bag a try and walk a few rounds at my local course. Hopefully I'll be posting more good news in this thread soon.

To everyone else, keep up the good work because it's great motivation!

Great Job guys/gals!

Great Job guys/gals!

Good job Arkie!

Jman I am proud of ya!

Thanks man. I had a moment lol. I can tell you the real loser is gonna be the gym and golf course cause I'm coming for Vengance!

Yoccos -- Bro it's always a struggle but WE CAN DO IT :clapp:

Lost 2 more pounds. I can now wear one size smaller on my shirts and my pants are all baggy. This atkins diet is really working well for me. I hate counting calories so this is probably the only diet that I don't have to worry about that.

Clam -- You are on a mission dude and I bet feeling very fit!

Mary -- You are a super hero in here and we all admire your progress!

GolferGal - A huge inspiration from every post you make! You are a winner and what you have accomplished motivates all of us.

I just got to tell you all I am very proud of this thread and how it has motivated all of us. It amazes me each time someone joins us and spreads the love. It's all about supporting each other and that means if we are winning or not winning our battles. It's a war and and sometimes the war is long. What makes me proud is all the positive comments supporting each other. The honest comments about not yet reaching your goals but the will to get back in the race is important. I know some of you have been not able to go to the gym. The weather up North has been awful this year, I know my wife and others here have been through injuries that sideline the best of athletes. Pat yourselves on the back as there have been so many success stories on here it just makes me :D.

Checking back in...great progress so far everyone.

As for me, just finished week 3 of this workout I am doing...clothes fitting better, body feeling stronger, and down another 2 lbs. Now I just need to get over this cold.

Seeing how everyones doing....and it sounds like great progress. Remember to get those carb meals (oatmeal, quick pasta) in before you hit the gym. Those meals will burn energy, increase metabolism, and importantly not have your body eat away at your gaining muscles while you are doing cardio. Also, get that protein in you.
I've been eating Edamame and Quinoa at work as a quick snack, it's protein packed and taste yummy. Great too hear everyone is gearing up for the summer/golf season. Woot Woot!:banana:

Mardin -- I love me some oatmeal in the morning. I make it with apple juice and put some peach 99 % fat free yogurt in it. Good stuff :thumb:

On a bit of a downer I felt like I suffered a slight muscle tear at the gym today. I always warm up on the elliptical machine prior to my weight training. I was going through my regular routine with no big change in the normal weight (100 lbs) x 3 on each machine or weight station. On the machine that puts you through a rowing motion (Like in a long boat) I felt the sting/pull in my left bicep. Ouch. I will ice it down and take some ibuprofen. I have my first golf lesson of this season Friday. I WILL be up for it..

Mardin -- I love me some oatmeal in the morning. I make it with apple juice and put some peach 99 % fat free yogurt in it. Good stuff :thumb:

On a bit of a downer I felt like I suffered a slight muscle tear at the gym today. I always warm up on the elliptical machine prior to my weight training. I was going through my regular routine with no big change in the normal weight (100 lbs) x 3 on each machine or weight station. On the machine that puts you through a rowing motion (Like in a long boat) I felt the sting/pull in my left bicep. Ouch. I will ice it down and take some ibuprofen. I have my first golf lesson of this season Friday. I WILL be up for it..

Ole Gray, take care of that bicep! If you don't think you can do your lesson, better to postpone it than try to push through it and do more damage and be hurting for weeks instead of a few days (Not that pushing through injury doesn't run far and deep in the Ole Gray/Kellybo house!)...BECAUSE as I just posted in Outing thread in the Official Prison Calander Update we are 50, big FIVE OH, days away from meeting, greeting, chipping, putting, and driving our way around PGA National!!!

Ouch! Hope it heals up Ole Gray.

Ole Gray, take care of that bicep! If you don't think you can do your lesson, better to postpone it than try to push through it and do more damage and be hurting for weeks instead of a few days (Not that pushing through injury doesn't run far and deep in the Ole Gray/Kellybo house!)...BECAUSE as I just posted in Outing thread in the Official Prison Calander Update we are 50, big FIVE OH, days away from meeting, greeting, chipping, putting, and driving our way around PGA National!!!

Woot Woot !!! I can't wait :thumb:

Ouch! Hope it heals up Ole Gray.

Sometimes I forget my age bro.. lol It should be fine and I will let KellyBo give me some TLC tonight :D

That doesn't sound good Gray. I hope it heals fast.

I don't know if I have shared this before? I think it has helped speed up my metabolism.

I have been putting a pinch of cayanne pepper and a squirt of lime or lemon in my water. I have been drinking a ton of water and I actually like the taste now. I read somewhere it was how some stars lose weight quickly.

Sometimes I forget my age bro.. lol It should be fine and I will let KellyBo give me some TLC tonight :D

Woot Woot !!! I can't wait :thumb:

FIFY. Just had to do a little rearranging.

Started a new workout this week. The first 3 weeks are heavy weeks with only 30 seconds between 4 sets of 12,10,8,6 reps. Did legs yesterday and I can not walk today. Got to love a good workout.

Started a new workout this week. The first 3 weeks are heavy weeks with only 30 seconds between 4 sets of 12,10,8,6 reps. Did legs yesterday and I can not walk today. Got to love a good workout.

Great job pellynch! The burn is part of the package although the more you exercise the less the pain. Well unless you don't warm up properly or not using the proper technique for lifting. I made that mistake yesterday but lucky me all is well.

As you mentioned, I run right through my sets of 10 reps x 3 on 12 pieces of equipment and some free weights. Generally takes me an hour to 90 minutes to complete my work out. I thought I had injured myself yesterday however it was just a minor muscle pull. I was back at the gym today for my hour workout session. I genuinely love the gym and it has become an important part of my weekly schedule.

I was back at the gym today for my hour workout session. I genuinely love the gym and it has become an important part of my weekly schedule.

Amen Ole Grey! When I leave the gym in the morning I feel great and rejuvenated. On my days that I work chest and triceps, my break inbetween reps I do a quick set of 15-20 push-ups.

Great job pellynch! The burn is part of the package although the more you exercise the less the pain. Well unless you don't warm up properly or not using the proper technique for lifting. I made that mistake yesterday but lucky me all is well.

As you mentioned, I run right through my sets of 10 reps x 3 on 12 pieces of equipment and some free weights. Generally takes me an hour to 90 minutes to complete my work out. I thought I had injured myself yesterday however it was just a minor muscle pull. I was back at the gym today for my hour workout session. I genuinely love the gym and it has become an important part of my weekly schedule.

I am so glad your injury is not something major. :good:

I am so glad your injury is not something major. :good:

Thanks buddy! I was concerned yesterday about having a strained or at worse, torn bicep muscle. I woke up this a.m.with no issues. We have like 49 days until the outing. The last four days prior to the outing I am going to completely let my body rest and recoup. No gym and minor golf practice. I want to bring my "A" game in May, be fit as a fiddle and be rested up for the long weekend :thumb:

So Friday is the big day. The Solar Car team that I am on holds weekly driver fitness training sessions to make sure they're up to the task of handling that car for 5hrs at a time. A couple of the engineers have agreed to go with me [to provide moral support and creative excuses when I start failing]. I hear these are intense work outs that have culminated a few times in some involuntary regurgitations so we'll see how I do, seeing as how I am about as fit as a 400lb person, despite only weighing half that.

So Friday is the big day. The Solar Car team that I am on holds weekly driver fitness training sessions to make sure they're up to the task of handling that car for 5hrs at a time. A couple of the engineers have agreed to go with me [to provide moral support and creative excuses when I start failing]. I hear these are intense work outs that have culminated a few times in some involuntary regurgitations so we'll see how I do, seeing as how I am about as fit as a 400lb person, despite only weighing half that.

Wow dude you talking about some serious heart rate jumps here huh? This sounds like a fun day packed with some arse kicking cardio kicking in! Good luck, I hope your team wins, but be a survivor :D

So glad Ole Gray you just were a little sore vs anything more serious

Thanks buddy! I was concerned yesterday about having a strained or at worse, torn bicep muscle. I woke up this a.m.with no issues. We have like 49 days until the outing. The last four days prior to the outing I am going to completely let my body rest and recoup. No gym and minor golf practice. I want to bring my "A" game in May, be fit as a fiddle and be rested up for the long weekend :thumb:

Smart idea my friend!! And don't hurt yourself before then either... don't overdo it!!

Back