Again im indecisive

MattyKrack17

MattyCaulk AkA DigDug
Reaction score
Handicap
Thinkin, is it worth it to spend $30 on an adidas polo I'm going to wear maybe once every couple weeks! I just saw a commercial for old navy polos for $6! I'm sure they are cotton but I dont sweat that much! Just askin why do you spend a lot of $$ on a polo you don't wear that often?

I wear my golf shirts to work in every single day. SO I get my moneys worth out of them. They are so much more comfortable than the cotton.

I wear my golf shirts to work in every single day. SO I get my moneys worth out of them. They are so much more comfortable than the cotton.

You have a good reason lol! And honestly cotton doesn't bother me

If I didn't sweat much, liked the look and fit of a particular cheaper shirt... I'd buy it without a second thought.

But for me, although I'm a reasonably lean guy, I overheat very easily and much prefer the play-dry type of fabrics. But I wait for sales in order to stock up. I picked up some Adidas Formotion polos for less than $20 apiece and Izod polos for $15 per. Last year, I bought some really nice Oakley polos for about $17 apiece, if memory serves.

Everybody's tastes are different, their budget, or their tolerance for expense. My advice is to get what you like and are comfortable with. Nothing else matters.

Cheap shirts tend to be, well, cheap. The collars don't last, they don't keep you as cool, they often aren't cut to fit as nicely. Not saying you have to spend a ton of money to get quality, but it's definitely a balancing thing.

I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for. If you can get a print/color that's classic and can wear multiple seasons than the $30 is a bargain

I wear golf apparel for a few reasons.

I very much prefer technical materials on the golf course. Forget the sweating side, they are lighter, more comfortable and work with the body.
Collars - I hate cheap shirt collars. After 1 wash you have a landing strip on one side and a pier on the other. They get all lopside and really look awful
Cut - I prefer a different fit than most generic shirts offer. If it comes to a perfect fit, then it would be different.

Look - When it comes down to it, some people like golf style and style in general and some people dont care. I take pride in the way I dress both on the course and off.

I also think it depends on the cotton. There are heavy cotton shirts and then there are more performance based cotton shirts. I just really struggle wearing a 100% cotton shirt on a golf course. It's not as comfortable to me as performance shirts. However, if you just want a couple of shirts then I say snag them up, you'll never know if you never try.

I imagine both shirts are made within a few miles of each other somewhere in Asia. One is made for $2 in one plant and the other for $3 in a similar plant. I know the performance shirts are far more comfortable but, with 2 kids, wife, mortgage, etc., I just can't fathom spending more than $20 for a shirt.

Thinking about it now, cotton collars do tend to get jacked up! Maybe ill buy a couple the adidas shirts and if I like them, ill get more slowly! Thanks for the input guys! That's why I love THP

Thinking about it now, cotton collars do tend to get jacked up! Maybe ill buy a couple the adidas shirts and if I like them, ill get more slowly! Thanks for the input guys! That's why I love THP

You could always try a THP shirt by Antigua as well. One of the most comfortable you will come across.

You can also hit up Blind9 and tell them what you are looking for and see what they have available price wise.

I have a green antigua THP shirt and it is phenominal. I love my Nike/Addidas shirts but the Antigua doesn't feel as tech if that makes sense yet it still keeps me just as cool and a lot more comfortable. It is one of my favorites along with the oakley polo I have.

To the OP, if you're looking for a bargain, Kohls carries FILA shirts and I absolutely love my FILA golf polo. Keeps me cool and the size is just about perfect. Old Navy's golf polos run a tad on the small side imo but they are decent polos as well. Just a little constricting but look pretty good. Also, a lot of sites have closeout deals too. Just to me, I think the THP Antigua Polo is a bargain and one of the best shirts I've owned. Worth a good look.

You could always try a THP shirt by Antigua as well. One of the most comfortable you will come across.

You can also hit up Blind9 and tell them what you are looking for and see what they have available price wise.

Thinkin, is it worth it to spend $30 on an adidas polo I'm going to wear maybe once every couple weeks! I just saw a commercial for old navy polos for $6! I'm sure they are cotton but I dont sweat that much! Just askin why do you spend a lot of $$ on a polo you don't wear that often?

I would rather spend more money up front on high quality shirts, even if you rarely wear them. I have many shirts that are a couple of years old and still look brand new. $6 shirts look like $6 shirts and quickly become garage rags. Spend more now and be happy later.

I've probably purchased 15 golf shirts this year and haven't paid over $25 for any of them. Ashworth, Adidas, Grand Slam, Callaway, gotta wait for the sales (seems like there is one every week from one e-tailer or another).
I also wear them to work so they are dual purpose.

I probably have two dozen quality golf shirts and I'd say each were less than $20 (with the exception of a Nike Polo containing by school's emblem that cost around $45). Most of the golf shirts that I own are Nike with a few from Adidas. TJ Maxx and Gabriel Brothers (a largely East Coast chain of discount stores) make up the largest portion of my golf attire - they regularly sell name-brand golf shirts for super cheap. Plus, in the last few years they've opened a Nike Outlet near me that has provided a couple of excellent deals on golf attire.

Check out www.rockbottomgolf.com, they always have golf clothes on sale, may be last years styles, but if you're not a clothes horse they have some super deals

Was just looking over there and they have ashworth and addidas shirts and shorts for $20

Last edited:
Pull the trigger, it's worth the money. You'll also find yourself wearing your golf clothes off the course because of how comfortable they are. They also last a lot longer than the cotton stuff!

I believe that you pay for what you pay for. That doesn't mean that I pay $100 for polo's, but I look for sales and am still willing to pay up to $50 for a polo. From experiences, I find polo's are something that need to be a better quality, they do tend to last longer and just feel better, don't show their wear.

The THP Antigua's are in the top three of my favorite golf shirts. They are so comfortable and you can pull them out of the dryer with very little if any wrinkles. Cotton shirts are made for the ironing board.

I'm into having nice shirts, but I've seen nice shirts for cheap. You just have to look around for deals. $25-$30 for a nice golf polo is really cheap to me. I wear them besides on the course also, but I also live in Florida. I just don't like cotton when it comes to golf or tennis, because the sleeves are always constricting on my arms it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I am going to have to start doing some checking around on the net if you guys are finding nice shirts at these prices. The wife is always telling me I need to buy some new clothes...

Me too, jeans and polo shirts to work. You just can't beat that, no dry clean bills, no ironing, no suits or ties ever. Sometimes I don't even shave.

I probably have two dozen quality golf shirts and I'd say each were less than $20 (with the exception of a Nike Polo containing by school's emblem that cost around $45). Most of the golf shirts that I own are Nike with a few from Adidas. TJ Maxx and Gabriel Brothers (a largely East Coast chain of discount stores) make up the largest portion of my golf attire - they regularly sell name-brand golf shirts for super cheap. Plus, in the last few years they've opened a Nike Outlet near me that has provided a couple of excellent deals on golf attire.

I was going to suggest this also. I have gotten a lot of golf shirt from there and Marshalls. Reebok, Adidas, Nike.
I actually just picked up an Ashworth there today for $10 Not ashamed to save some money and look good too.

I used to love mercerized cotton shirts nice shine great color but oh what a pain to clean no dryers mostly dry clean yada yada. Love the new drifit climat sport tech whatever you call it material for shirts. Dunning's sport shirts are amazing look and feel. FJ surprising has an excellent shirt color stays nice flat. I wear it once every 2 weeks to play over past 2 yrs still looks brand new.

Great deals everywhere on shirts from ebay to rockbottom etc as many have posted. The material really does play better with a golf swing with range of motion vs cotton imo

Back