2011 Cobra S3 Irons Preview

As JB mentioned, a THP reviewer (me) should have these to start testing around the middle of this week. Looking forward to seeing what they have to offer in terms of distance, forgiveness, and ball flight. The e9 technology sounds good and I'll be interested to see if it works as advertised. Also, this will be my first time with Nippon shafts and I'm excited to see what they have to offer. They look stepless to me, but I'm not sure. JB?

I think that Nippon's are phenomenal shafts Hawk. IMO, they should be just about ideal for ya! Good luck with the testing, I look forward to the review.

You will find out soon enough. HA! Looking forward to your thoughts on these.

I should have known that was coming lol.

Nice hawk! I look forward to comparing notes with you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sweet deal hawk. Look forward to your thoughts on these.

OEM Kevin

Sweet deal hawk. Look forward to your thoughts on these.

OEM Kevin

You may want to stay out of this thread, your reputation is at stake, lol

Good stuff Hawk! Hopefully you can get some thoughts on these up real soon

Good stuff Hawk! Hopefully you can get some thoughts on these up real soon

Should have an initial round of testing done this weekend. It will be nice to swing an iron! It's been awhile.

As JB mentioned, a THP reviewer (me) should have these to start testing around the middle of this week. Looking forward to seeing what they have to offer in terms of distance, forgiveness, and ball flight. The e9 technology sounds good and I'll be interested to see if it works as advertised. Also, this will be my first time with Nippon shafts and I'm excited to see what they have to offer. They look stepless to me, but I'm not sure. JB?

Great stuff there Hawkster, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I am rather digging these.

Glad you're liking them too so far g4l. I'm very interested in hearing more!

This is a post that I received from Cobra Golf via their Facebook Home Page. To be honest, I have no way of knowing if this came from some Jr. level flunky or someone seriously in the know, however here is the statement:

Cobra Any similarity that you see between the Burner and Cobra S3 iron is a dark finish and that they are both irons. The S3 irons were designed and in production prior to the launch of the Burner 2.0 irons.

My opinion is that they were in production prior to the 2.0 irons and not the 2009 version as JB mentioned, which makes sense. Anyways that is my final take on the subject.

I think that Nippon's are phenomenal shafts Hawk. IMO, they should be just about ideal for ya! Good luck with the testing, I look forward to the review.

I'm right with TC here, Nippon's are amazing shafts. I hope they and the irons do sterling work for you Hawk.

Let's just suppose that the Cobras came out after the TM 2.0's..not saying they did or didn't..do you really think they're going to admit 'yeah, we loved the design and colors so much we ripped them off of Taylormade?' Their quote is very much 'nothing to see here, move along, pure conicidence' which is what one would expect. Almost like those disclaimers at the end of movies that say 'any similarity between the characters of this film, living or dead, is purely coincidental.'
This is a post that I received from Cobra Golf via their Facebook Home Page. To be honest, I have no way of knowing if this came from some Jr. level flunky or someone seriously in the know, however here is the statement:

Cobra Any similarity that you see between the Burner and Cobra S3 iron is a dark finish and that they are both irons. The S3 irons were designed and in production prior to the launch of the Burner 2.0 irons.

My opinion is that they were in production prior to the 2.0 irons and not the 2009 version as JB mentioned, which makes sense. Anyways that is my final take on the subject.

Is the guilty conscience talking here? This makes me think of asking a car salesman which car /truck is best. The one he's selling of course. Agree with Hanks here, like they would ever admit otherwise.

Regardless, theyre nice looking irons and if they perform thats all that matters.

Who cares if they look the same? Drivers look similar all the time. As long as these irons perform well, I will give them a shot.

Who cares if they look the same? Drivers look similar all the time. As long as these irons perform like the TaylorMade 2.0's, I will give them a shot.

I agree. But I bet TaylorMade cares. And its pretty obvious Cobra cared enough to post something on Facebook, no? Just sayin...

Edit: Slight FIFY lol

I agree. But I bet TaylorMade cares. And its pretty obvious Cobra cared enough to post something on Facebook, no? Just sayin...

Edit: Slight FIFY lol

Were they posting something on facebook, or answering gray's question?

I think they were just answering gray's question, but I'm not sure anymore

Hmm not sure exactly. He might have asked something on their page, not sure. Says via their facebook homepage.

I think they were just answering gray's question, but I'm not sure anymore

That's what I thought, I thought they were answering a concerned fan's question, not announcing it to the whole world. We will have to see how these irons play. That's all I'm judging them on. I can hate Scotty all I want for copying stuff, but he makes a great putter, there is no doubting that.

Here's a question which may or may not have been asked already. Even if you believe this is a blatant attempt to copy the Burner 2.0's, would you still test them and if they worked would you game them?

Here's a question which may or may not have been asked already. Even if you believe this is a blatant attempt to copy the Burner 2.0's, would you still test them and if they worked would you game them?

Why not? I would play a baseball bat if it worked best for my game.

Yes and yes. If they work for me, that's all that matters to me. I'm on the fence about the rip off thing. Sure there are maybe some similarities, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are a complete rip off. I think these are BA looking and I will be trying them out! Who knows what happens from there.

when it's on Facebook, it may as well be lol
That's what I thought, I thought they were answering a concerned fan's question, not announcing it to the whole world. We will have to see how these irons play. That's all I'm judging them on. I can hate Scotty all I want for copying stuff, but he makes a great putter, there is no doubting that.

yes

This is why I wish hawk had the Burner 2.0's. That would make for some killer pictures and comparisons. And no I wont volunteer mine either. But I think anyone in their right mind is going to game what works best, even if its a blatant copy. Regardless of what I think or anyone else the performance is what matters. Just like the teams that sign TO after everything hes done. You want what works the best. And lets be honest, were golf nuts so we look at things a little different. Most people looking at GG probably wont notice. Still doesnt change my opinion but it is what it is. And I dont think anyone but the Cobra designers should feel bad about that.

This is why I wish hawk had the Burner 2.0's. That would make for some killer pictures and comparisons. And no I wont volunteer mine either. But I think anyone in their right mind is going to game what works best, even if its a blatant copy. Regardless of what I think or anyone else the performance is what matters. Just like the teams that sign TO after everything hes done. You want what works the best. And lets be honest, were golf nuts so we look at things a little different. Most people looking at GG probably wont notice. Still doesnt change my opinion but it is what it is. And I dont think anyone but the Cobra designers should feel bad about that.

But shouldn't performance be all that matters. I mean, if the Burner 2.0's are as great as advertised (I haven't hit them) then the cobras will get destroyed anyway, so who cares. I mean, the consumer will go for whats best for their game. If two irons that look the same, I'm going for the ones that perform the best for me. So if the Burners are so much better then the cobras, what is all the fuss about?

I'm actually a lot more interested in how they compare to the Cleveland GG16's in terms of performance than any other iron. Those were my favorite of all of the 'distance' irons that we had at the outing. I liked the 2.0's but they were not at the top of the list for me (almost, but not quite).

Like I said, I want to test how long they are, how easy they are to hit, ball flight, and forgiveness. Looks are important, but I played some pretty hideous irons last year, so looks aren't really a deal breaker for me.

Back