2011 Cobra S3 Irons Preview

Unboxed the S3's a bit ago. To say they are attractive would be a massive understatement. The dark finish could be described as almost a 'piano black'. It's very glossy. At address, they look mean; like they want to hit the ball far. They feel pretty light in hand and I was pleasantly surprised at the stock grip. It's much better than I expected. Not too much offset at all and the topline is pretty nice to look at imo. The Nippon shafts feel a little soft at the tip and are stepped. I can post pics if you all would like. I know there are quite a bit here already, but just let me know.

It's going to be 62 degrees and sunny in Gray, Ga. this weekend dude :D. Like I said you are welcome to bring em south for a test drive :thumb:

Starting with the 6 iron, with pured center contact shots I was getting around 190-195 yards of carry, with an avg Swing speed of about 94 mph and ball speed around 130-135. I was consistently seeing a smash factor of over 1.4, which I think is pretty darn good with a 6 iron. But even more impressive, I had a couple 60% toe hits that still carried out there about 187-190 yards. This forgiveness in the toe area is huge for me, as that's my regular miss if anything. I then pulled the 4 iron for about 10-15 shots. Again, well struck, center of the clubface shots just felt perfect, and I was getting carry in the 215ish range. Not sure I've ever hit a 4iron that felt this great.
Next I played about 25 pitching wedge shots. Again, toe hits were only costing me about 2 to 5 yards of distance loss. I was averaging about 150 yards of carry with the PW. If those carry numbers are accurate, then this thing just bombs the ball.
___GASP_by_Dokuro.png.jpg

G4L, that is absolutly jaw dropping....

g4l what distances were you hitting before the S3s? were you in fact hitting a PW 150 before or a 4 iron 215? How much improvment have these clubs provided?

It's going to be 62 degrees and sunny in Gray, Ga. this weekend dude :D. Like I said you are welcome to bring em south for a test drive :thumb:

You know I'd be down there with these if I could, Gray :)

Ok, sorry for the delay. Here are some in-hand pics.

Cavity

DSC00550.jpg

Face

DSC00549.jpg

The toe with club number

DSC00552.jpg

4i at address

DSC00556.jpg

7i at address

DSC00555.jpg

PW at address

DSC00557.jpg

Grips, face, cavity, and ITB

DSC00559.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00545.jpg

great pics Hawk! I think that those sticks may be great for you.

Nice pics Hawk. The bag is looking good

Great pics Hawk!!! I look forward to hearing what you think abuot these and if you have similar success as G4L had with his set.

Those look better each time I look at them, thanks. Even the grips look like they're ok, which is rare when a stock offering. How do they feel?

You've become quite the testing machine Hawk!

Those look better each time I look at them, thanks. Even the grips look like they're ok, which is rare when a stock offering. How do they feel?

You've become quite the testing machine Hawk!

Grips are Lamkin and are pretty nice. I'd leave them on the clubs if I had purchased them OTR.

g4l what distances were you hitting before the S3s? were you in fact hitting a PW 150 before or a 4 iron 215? How much improvment have these clubs provided?

Well, for the PW, I average around 140-145 carry with my R7, so a good 5 yards or more carry, which is nice indeed.

I don't own a 4 iron for my R7s but I think 215 of carry from a 4iron is plenty long for sure.

Grips are Lamkin and are pretty nice. I'd leave them on the clubs if I had purchased them OTR.

I like the yellow and black highlights on your grips. Because they put different shafts in mine, I got vanilla black lamkin grips. They are pretty clubs, aren't they? Piano glossy black is a great way to describe the finish.

Those look great Hawk! They are awesome looking clubs and seem to be solid contenders too. Looking forward to more!

Hawk -- Great pics dude and I hope you enjoy them. Looking forward to your review. :D

These are really starting to creep into contention with the VR Pro's and the other sticks I'm looking at. Really interesting in hearing how the continue to work for you G4L! Hawk, these look like beasts!!!

These are really starting to creep into contention with the VR Pro's and the other sticks I'm looking at. Really interesting in hearing how the continue to work for you G4L! Hawk, these look like beasts!!!

The best part is that you'll get to hit all of the clubs you mentioned at the outing bro. Hopefully you can hold out that long.

For the irons I'm definitely holding out for sure. I'm really excited to see what they are all about. I've never had a chance to really get to know a cobra iron and I'm really looking forward to it.

Driver....Well.... since I already hit The Cleveland Ill probably be looking at drivers (Srixon/Cleveland being the ones) very soon.

The best part is that you'll get to hit all of the clubs you mentioned at the outing bro. Hopefully you can hold out that long.

For the irons I'm definitely holding out for sure. I'm really excited to see what they are all about. I've never had a chance to really get to know a cobra iron and I'm really looking forward to it.

Driver....Well.... since I already hit The Cleveland Ill probably be looking at drivers (Srixon/Cleveland being the ones) very soon.

It would do you well to test all of them bro and then make your decision. What works for some (me) may or may not be the ticket for you. I have no doubt that I will be hitting these as soon as possible. There are other brands that are actually peaking my interests but these S3's are in obviously in the top three. I am just now getting the S2's trained as it takes time with irons (IMO) to really get comfortable.

I think you're right on Gray! TC knows how much I love my Machspeeds and the next set of irons would have to be incredible to really knock them out! These S3's just have something about them that really appeals to me. I'm gonna be going HAM on the iron sets at demo day for sure. G4L and Hawk should be able to give us all a good idea. Do you think you'll be able to hold out until WPB to try these bad boys?

It would do you well to test all of them bro and then make your decision. What works for some (me) may or may not be the ticket for you. I have no doubt that I will be hitting these as soon as possible. There are other brands that are actually peaking my interests but these S3's are in obviously in the top three. I am just now getting the S2's trained as it takes time with irons (IMO) to really get comfortable.

Wow those grips are a major improvement to the ones on my SZs. I think they're golf prides, but just not that nice IMO.

great pics Hawk! Those things sure are pretty

Have any of the testers seen the hybrid that goes with the combo version of this set? I'm curious as to whether it fits the irons profile of being a GI aimed at the players market or if the hybrid is heavy on offset.

Thanks

Sorry, I have not.

Have any of the testers seen the hybrid that goes with the combo version of this set? I'm curious as to whether it fits the irons profile of being a GI aimed at the players market or if the hybrid is heavy on offset.

Thanks

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Back