2012 Cross Pro Jacket Review Thread

I wore my Pro Jacket yesterday while getting in some short game practice while the sun was out and temps were in the lower 40s. I went out dressed in an under armour fitted base longs leeve and regular nike golf shirt over the top. With that combo and the Cross Pro Jacket, I was plenty warm for the hour or so I was out practicing. The wind was minimal or nonexistent, so that helped too.

Since I was working on chipping and putting mostly, the one thing I noticed more this time than ever before was how long the sleeves are. I dont think I have alligator arms or anything, but I really had to tighten the wrist straps to keep the sleeves from sliding over my hands while putting. The inner pocket is great, it fit my iphone in it perfectly and was very convenient to use my headphones while practicing too.

I took my Cross Pro Jacket out on the course for the first time today and came away very impressed.

The weather was slightly above 40* when we started and just under 50* when we finished 9 holes. I have the large which gave me enough room to fit a regular tee, compression nike shirt, golf shirt, and thicker fleece 3/4 zip underneath it without it being movement constricting.

On course I was as warm as could be with the exclusion of my hands (which jackets clearly don't resolve). I liked the ability to tighten the waist although found that it did come loose a bit. The wind never had a chance of biting through the jacket or the zipper which was also great.

In the swing, it was again a big improvement to most of my jackets. No reduction of movement (beyond the bulk of my attire) and as Jarret mentioned quite some time ago, there is very little ruffling/swishing noise during the swing which is nice.

Great stuff. Proud to wear it and got a couple really nice compliments on the design and look.

I wore my Pro Jacket yesterday while getting in some short game practice while the sun was out and temps were in the lower 40s. I went out dressed in an under armour fitted base longs leeve and regular nike golf shirt over the top. With that combo and the Cross Pro Jacket, I was plenty warm for the hour or so I was out practicing. The wind was minimal or nonexistent, so that helped too.

Since I was working on chipping and putting mostly, the one thing I noticed more this time than ever before was how long the sleeves are. I dont think I have alligator arms or anything, but I really had to tighten the wrist straps to keep the sleeves from sliding over my hands while putting. The inner pocket is great, it fit my iphone in it perfectly and was very convenient to use my headphones while practicing too.

I like the comments about the length of the sleeves Dan. I found them to be very ideal for me (at 6'2 with a similar wing span) but definitely made note of pulling my sleeves up on a number of swings (which is pretty common for me regardless of what I'm wearing). If I didn't, I could feel the cuffs inside my palms a bit.

Good thoughts fellas. I had never put much thought into the sleeve length on a jacket until this one. I'm sure with these good cuffs that this jackets pretty much accommodates anyone.

Good thoughts fellas. I had never put much thought into the sleeve length on a jacket until this one. I'm sure with these good cuffs that this jackets pretty much accommodates anyone.

Most Jackets that fit my frame are short in the arms (probably big reason why I pull my sleeves up on most things I wear) so this has been a really pleasant surprise for me.

As some may have saw in a few photos - I wore this jacket again yesterday (in addition to Saturday). So....more thoughts!

Left the house and it was mid 50's but winds were gusting so a little nip in the air. Wore it to GolfSmith, hit a few balls, and then headed to the course. Was standing there chatting with capt. dru and afwcardinal out in the open and wind was chilly so I decided to tighten up the bottom of the jacket so no air would come up from the bottom - I was in shorts....this is the first time I had tightened up the bottom.

Much to my disappointment when I grabbed the elastic strap and pulled an eyelet popped out of place. Upon further inspection, I also saw some fraying on the elastic strap. After this happened, the piece was just dangling down and I could not stand the sight of it, so I opted to cut the strap since it was basically unusable to tighten with what had already happened. I still wore it for a few holes without any issues, but no more tightening the bottom for me.

Here is what it should look like:

IMG_0243_zps2961185d.jpg

Here is what it looked like after the eyelet popped out:

IMG_0244_zps97109c04.jpg

IMG_0242_zpse52c971b.jpg

IMG_0241_zps25f83926.jpg

That sucks Cookie.

My update is that I wear this jacket practically everyday and it's just awesome. It's not heavy, keeps me warm, and keeps me dry. I swear, when I wear this thing in the rain, I can take it off and it'll dry itself in about 2 hours. It's just great.

If I had 1 gripe about it, I'd say that when I bend over to putt, part of the jacket pops out and it affects my putting stroke to where I have to make an effort to push in that part of my jacket. I'll try to get a picture that illustrates this better.

In the meantime, I love it.

Man that sucks Cookie, I will keep an eye on mine.

What do you do when you have a MGA event and it is mid 30's outside?

You throw on a compression shirt, golf shirt, and your Cross Pro jacket. Going to be a chilly day out there but this thing is quite the wind/chill breaker in addition to being a rain blocking machine!

I will say this, I have learned that "quality" outer gear is quite important as it allows you to stay comfortable with a lower number of layers. Let the testing continue!

I wore my Pro jacket to hit balls yesterday. It kept me plenty warm as usual, but I had a real tough time getting the main zipper to zip. It just wouldnt grab and didnt have an threads or anything stuck in the middle. Has anyone else seen this with the main zipper?

It's good to hear the pro jacket is holding up for everyone? I need a new jacket in a bad way. This is on my list

Nice thoughts guys. Cookie, do you think that happened to the strap because you washed it too often? Or could it have gotten stuck on something?

I wore my Pro jacket to hit balls yesterday. It kept me plenty warm as usual, but I had a real tough time getting the main zipper to zip. It just wouldnt grab and didnt have an threads or anything stuck in the middle. Has anyone else seen this with the main zipper?

I have not experienced that issue with mine.

It's good to hear the pro jacket is holding up for everyone? I need a new jacket in a bad way. This is on my list

I posted a bit ago about the issue I had with the drawstring. I have now completely cut it out and the jacket is great as long as I don't need to tighten at my waist.

Nice thoughts guys. Cookie, do you think that happened to the strap because you washed it too often? Or could it have gotten stuck on something?

Definitely did not get stuck on anything. I had probably washed it 5-6 times prior to this. The guys usually smoke in the clubhouse before/after golf and since I can't stand the smell, I would wash it if it was worn in there.

Unfortunately, I had the chance to put the Pro Jacket to some serious tests lately as the days of rain continue to hit the Midwest. My most recent battle was yesterday afternoon where I had my Pro jacket on for 13 of the 18 holes. The main zipper continues to be tricky to get started, but there is no question with how well this thing keeps you dry on top. I paired it with my FJ rain pants, some ZR rain gloves, and my Cross bucket hat and was dry and comfortable. The sleeves are a bit long for my shorter arms, but the velcro holds them in place very nicely so they dont sag or creep down over my hands during my setup or swing.

Unfortunately, I had the chance to put the Pro Jacket to some serious tests lately as the days of rain continue to hit the Midwest. My most recent battle was yesterday afternoon where I had my Pro jacket on for 13 of the 18 holes. The main zipper continues to be tricky to get started, but there is no question with how well this thing keeps you dry on top. I paired it with my FJ rain pants, some ZR rain gloves, and my Cross bucket hat and was dry and comfortable. The sleeves are a bit long for my shorter arms, but the velcro holds them in place very nicely so they dont sag or creep down over my hands during my setup or swing.
Awesome update, I'm glad to know it's still performing and paired with the Cross Hat you've got the rain beat for sure!

40 degrees to start the morning, so I'll be equipping my Cross pro jacket over top of a 3/4 zip, and more than likely, will be extremely comfortable.

I had left it in my bag over the last week or so due to all the sporadic rain we've seen, and was shocked to see that it really wasn't all that wrinkled when I pulled it out. Definitely a positive. On that, it has been a massive saver in wet weather, keeping my body dry and free of any wind based chill, especially with the neck features, not allowing the water or wind to cut through.

if there is one complaint to be had, it's with the straps on the bottom. It's not at Cookie level where it came out, but it doesn't hold nearly as well as when I first got the jacket. A very small issue in an otherwise excellent product.

I have kept mine Cross jacket in my bag for over a year. I wash it about once a month. I love that pulling it out it stays nearly wrinkle free and works like a charm every time. Good stuff guys.

Good bump Dan.
I wore mine last weekend for a bit while there was a passing rain shower. I will also need it this morning with the cooler temps to start.

I have kept mine Cross jacket in my bag for over a year. I wash it about once a month. I love that pulling it out it stays nearly wrinkle free and works like a charm every time. Good stuff guys.

I was pretty surprised that it wasn't wrinkled.. Something I was ready to simply deal with -- That should be considered a major asset to the product in my opinion.. That kind of accessibility is awesome.

Good bump Dan.
I wore mine last weekend for a bit while there was a passing rain shower. I will also need it this morning with the cooler temps to start.

Have you got the neck pretty tight? Are you as happy about that design as I am?

Like Dan, I've worn mine pretty often with the rain around here. I dont see any issues with the straps like you guys are, my only complaint is the main zipper is tough to get started. I just leave it partially zipped now and just use it as a pullover.

I was pretty surprised that it wasn't wrinkled.. Something I was ready to simply deal with -- That should be considered a major asset to the product in my opinion.. That kind of accessibility is awesome.

Have you got the neck pretty tight? Are you as happy about that design as I am?

I d t wear it too tight. I am as excited about the non wrinkling and how this jacket is good for cool temps and is light enough that even during a summer rain storm is was perfect.

Staying wrinkle free with a jacket like this is key, especially since most of us just toss them and keep them stored in our bags. Cross has a real winner on their hands!

vuzugyju.jpg

This combo came back out yesterday during a downpour while I was in the putting green. Got a little warm but stayed completely dry.

Jacket continues to be a winner.

Back