2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoveled snow for 2 1/2 hours, 19" of snow with drifts to 4ft... Yea I got my workout in today!

I am surprised you don't have some sort of Lifetime Fitness or 24 or something in your area.

I miss lifetime fitness, that place is amazing.
Yeah I just rejoined Lifetime after working out at some other gyms for the past few years. Felt like I was back home.

Well, after being 9 days into eating healthier, I worked up a bit of courage, and signed up for a 2 week trial at a local gym.

Tomorrow will be my first attempt at a gym in.... well ever. Going to try and put emphasis on running. I used to be fast, I used to run track, and I really enjoyed it. Would really love to be able to throw on the shoes come summer time and go for a run around the city (without being out of breath ever 2 minutes).

Last edited:
Josh and I made a deal that when we lose Duke (and sadly that is likely in the next few months) we will each take a certain sum of money and do something to make us happy. A way to celebrate his life rather than mourn his loss. My plan is to hire a personal trainer, or find a good personal training studio.

I have a few questions about this. How do I go about finding said trainer/studio, and what questions should I ask to make sure they are a good fit? I know they aren't cheap, and I will probably only be able to afford 2 months of training, but it will hopefully be the kick start I need to get out of this depressed rut I am in and back into a happier, healthier place.
Finding a good trainer really is a tough thing to do. I have been in several big box and small gyms and trained with and observed some really good ones and some really bad ones. My wife was a world class athlete as a kid and has more athletic ability than just about anyone I know. But with her ability offset by being deconditioned every trainer she worked with ended up getting her hurt until we found the right ones. I would say in general maybe 1 in 10 are good at general fitness, and maybe 1 in 30 at truly advanced training and how too set up a good program. So may take some time on your part unless you get lucky. Here are a few things I can think of:

- First educate yourself as much as possible and get a good idea what cutting edge trainers are doing to reach your goals. Could a combination of training programs and nutritional advise. Read everything you can from trainers like Dan John, Eric Cressey, Mark Rippetoe, Alwyn Cosgrove, and Rachel Cosgrove to name a few. I have some books on Kindle I would be happy to loan you if you have that app or tablet. Lot of good YouTube videos out also.

- Since form and proper progressive are the difference between progress and getting hurt make sure they recommend a movements assessment to get started. That way they know where to start you on the progression scale. They need to be sticklers for form and technique, and you may feel like they are holding you back initially. But they may be saving you a trip to the doc.

- I know you mentioned a couple of gyms close, but you might have to expand that search to find a good trainer. Sometimes using a Groupon or a 7 day pass will let you use a facility for cheap. Make it a point to observe some trainers working with people to get an idea of their coaching style and if you are confident they are taking the right approach given the research you have done. It will also let you see if they have the type of equipment that you need to use.

- If you have any friends, or friends of friends that are really fit or have made a change find out what they did and who they worked with. Results are usually a good indication they are working with someone that knows how to put all of the pieces together.

GG, I love the idea there. Go talk to people when you can, ask their mentality, goals, etc. Not all trainers were created equal for sure.

I just weighed in at 204.9, down 8ish and its amazing just how much I can tell. Finishing this second week of induction and then the wife and I are starting yoga (thinking about the ddp yoga) because she needs to work her core back after the baby and I just need a core haha.

185 by the Grandaddy. That's my goal.

Figured out what my target will be for Charleston in 6 weeks time. I'd like to crack the 200lb number for the first time in a while. I've been hovering around 206-209 for the longest time and I think it'll put me in a great spot for the new season. I'm in need of new golf shorts and would love to be able to order a size down. The timing is perfect, setting a target of ~1.5lbs a week, weighing in on Friday mornings. That should allow me the "cheat" days on the weekends with time to recover during the week. I'm still playing sports 3 nights a week and hitting the gym a few other times, so the main focus will be diet for me. Trying to eat cleaner with less snacking will be key.

First day at the gym this go round (my 2nd time in a gym ever). 35 mins on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the bike, and a couple sets on a couple machines.

Not really sure if this is the right gym for me. A ton of equipment, which is great, but also a ton of people. I am ridiculously shy, and ended up just floating around looking at a lot of stuff tonight. Thinking I might also try out the gym my buddies from work go to (it is smaller, brand new, and supposedly empty a lot of the time). Maybe in this case smaller is better for me (and it is closer to home).

1st day in the books. It is a start at least.

Workout for yesterday was back and biceps, another brutal workout. Weight goes up, but reps go down. This week is all 6-8 reps.

4 sets of One Arm Dumbbell rows
3 sets of wide arm pulldowns
3 sets of standing pulldowns
3 sets of straight arm pulldowns
4 sets of barbell curls
3 sets of incline dumbbell curls (one of my most hated exercises)
3 sets of one arm high cable curls
3 sets of weighted bent-knee hip raises
3 sets of cable crunches
3 sets of oblique crunches

Today was an active rest day, so I hit some intervals on the elliptical for 20 minutes and then ran a few sets of sprints.

1.5 mile jog @ 12 min mile pace, .5 mile walk.

Pace was really quick the first lap and I tired out, the last 1/4 mile was tough.

Also it was windy and we ran into the wind quite a bit.

10 miles on the bike while I watched the Hawks game and did some DDP Yoga tonight.

Keep it up everybody, this thread is motivating

Sub 205 again, that's almost all the baby/Xmas gorging myself with terrible carbs weight gone.

Cravings are roooooouggh this week so far though. At least it's over the halfway point and I get to add in almonds and pecans next week.

So much more energy, as always. Really thinking DDP Yoga needs to be acquired though.

Sub 205 again, that's almost all the baby/Xmas gorging myself with terrible carbs weight gone.

Cravings are roooooouggh this week so far though. At least it's over the halfway point and I get to add in almonds and pecans next week.

So much more energy, as always. Really thinking DDP Yoga needs to be acquired though.

The wife and I were taking about something to do that we both could do it with the girls bc of time issues & DDP yoga came up. I need to look Into it bc we both have goal weights we want to hit & all the reviews are great for this one.

It's good stuff. Different workouts are in there depending on what you're looking to do, but it's all great and easy to do.

I wish I had more time over the next 4 days. Work is piling up and late nights are forecasted. I'm not sure if I am going to have any gym time.

Glad I saw this thread. It reminded me that I need to wipe the dust off the kettle balls. Such a great total body workout in a small amount of time.

3 years ago I maxed out at close to 210. I got that down to 185 mostly by eliminating cokes and using kettle balls and doing yoga. I've crept back up to the low 190's and need to put a stop to that. Mainly, though, I've noticed more overall tightness in most of my muscles because I've not been as active. And, sitting in a chair all day at work isn't helping.

Kind of surprised at how well my legs feel. Especially today after a hard run last night.

Now I just need to eat better and hopefully we'll start seeing that 315 number get lower.

gym

gym

Been keeping at it 4 days a week. Squats are up to 320, dead lift I am having some issues getting it to increase. (305) Probably should devote a session just to them.
230x5 bench the other night made be feel great. Feeling great and healthy, looking forward to the golf season.

The wife and I were taking about something to do that we both could do it with the girls bc of time issues & DDP yoga came up. I need to look Into it bc we both have goal weights we want to hit & all the reviews are great for this one.

Bit the bullet and bought it today. Amanda and I just can go make yoga classes with the baby, but this we can do in 20-30 mins a night.

Any deals out there? I've been pondering the same for me and the mrs

Any deals out there? I've been pondering the same for me and the mrs

Nah, I did the two payment deal from the site for the full set, 2 payments of 28.95 IIRC.

Nah, I did the two payment deal from the site for the full set, 2 payments of 28.95 IIRC.

That's pretty reasonable. I need to pull the trigger

I have never heard of this DDP Yoga before. Immediately in my mind I went to Diamond Dallas Page because I used to watch WCW as a kid. Went to the website and what do you know?!?! It is actually his yoga workout videos. I'm shocked. Those that use them, are they pretty good workouts?

I have one week left on the muscle building program that I'm on and then it's time to start preparing for the Spartan Sprint in Charlotte on April 11th. I already have the new program which combines nearly as much lifting as I'm doing now, but with a lot of explosive cardio in the form of short intervals. When I start the program I will put up details and thoughts, but I'm actually kind of dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time. It looks like it's going to be the type of workout that you limp away from everyday, which is kind of rough since I do it during my 1.5 hour lunch.

I'm also going to cut my calories back down to cut bodyfat and go back to a more restrictive diet. I've been on 3600 calories for 4 months, going back to 2200 may be a bit rough, but it's time to get the bodyweight down about 15lbs for the Spartan Race. The less mass I have to pull over the obstacles, the better.

I started last March at 196lbs, was down to 157lbs at my lightest and I've went back up to 170 during this bulk phase. I want to be around 155 for the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back