2015 Wyndham Championship

10 major champions playing this weekend and it feels like the Cartagena de Indias at Karibana Championship Presented by Prebuild

(just kidding.. This long event name made me laugh)

10 major champions playing this weekend and it feels like the Cartagena de Indias at Karibana Championship Presented by Prebuild

(just kidding.. This long event name made me laugh)

You know how many major champions played in the last CHampions Tour Event? Using guys like DLIII & Lucas Glover and saying they make a field better is an interesting approach. The PGA Tour needs to fix this at some point, and while I understand why they don't or cant, its to the detriment to the fans. As I told ddec yesterday, I am thrilled to see guys like Tiger and others expand horizons into different venues the last couple of years. I wish more players would do it.

You know how many major champions played in the last CHampions Tour Event? Using guys like DLIII & Lucas Glover and saying they make a field better is an interesting approach. The PGA Tour needs to fix this at some point, and while I understand why they don't or cant, its to the detriment to the fans. As I told ddec yesterday, I am thrilled to see guys like Tiger and others expand horizons into different venues the last couple of years. I wish more players would do it.
^^^^ this is just it, yes there are some big names but your missing a BIG core of huge players too. I said it before and I'll say it again, the field is filled with guys trying to make the playoffs cause they didn't play well enough the rest of the year to already lock it up.

Worst field's of the season, based on OWGR strength-of-field numbers...

Barbasol Championship - same week as The Open
Puerto Rico Open - same week as WGC-Cadillac Championship
Barracuda Championship - same week as WGC-Bridgestone Invitational
Sanderson Farms Championship - same week as WGC-HSB Champions
OHL Classic at Mayakoba - week after WGC-HSBC Champions
John Deere Classic
The McGladrey Classic
FedEx St. Jude Classic
Quicken Loans National
Frys.Com Open
Shriners Hospital for Children Open
Wyndham Championship
RBC Canadian Open

So, officially official offical, stampsies no erasies, the 12th worst field of the season!!

So when Tiger wins, you can get your hate on about a weak field. When Tiger doesn't win, you can get your hate on about him not beating a weak field. Or something.

I give up. Clearly nobody reads what was being posted and is in defense mode with the thread already. Some of this is ****ing hysterical.

Too much awesome like Grandaddy contests and THP Events coming up to lose sleep over actually discussing fields on the PGA tour in a PGA tour thread.

I give up. Clearly nobody reads what was being posted and is in defense mode with the thread already. Some of this is ****ing hysterical.

Too much awesome like Grandaddy contests and THP Events coming up to lose sleep over actually discussing fields on the PGA tour in a PGA tour thread.

Not worth it. Some people just don't get that it's not always about Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest question as I don't know the answer... without any tiger comments

How does the PGA fix "events like this" from happening? If they're in an off week or between big tourneys this will happen every time right? Is the solution to play less events? If they only did 20 could they make them all mandatory?

Honest question as I don't know the answer... without any tiger comments

How does the PGA fix "events like this" from happening? If they're in an off weak or between big tourneys this will happen every time right? Is the solution to play less events? If they only did 20 could they make them all mandatory?

1 every 3 rule or 1 every 5 rule. Makes tour players play in every event once during the term.

It ensures that the health of the tour beyond the same 20 events is solid and that fans in all parts of the country experience top notch tour golf. Without it, the same events get the same golfers every single year. It also changes the rankings as players cannot cherry pick the courses that suit their game better than others.

It won't happen, but some in the media have been lobbying for it and the thought has been out there for about a decade. The short sidedness of some don't realize how much sponsorship dollars could be impacted as companies agree to longer term deals in smaller venues as they know they will have star power

1 every 3 rule or 1 every 5 rule. Makes tour players play in every event once during the term.

It ensures that the health of the tour beyond the same 20 events is solid and that fans in all parts of the country experience top notch tour golf. Without it, the same events get the same golfers every single year. It also changes the rankings as players cannot cherry pick the courses that suit their game better than others.

It won't happen, but some in the media have been lobbying for it and the thought has been out there for about a decade.
thanks, makes sense to me. And honestly seems pretty reasonable. It's not like guys are being asked to play at local muni's on some weeks haha. Would do every one of the courses and communities some good too I'd imagine.

thanks, makes sense to me. And honestly seems pretty reasonable. It's not like guys are being asked to play at local muni's on some weeks haha

It makes perfect sense. It's funny because if some weren't so defensive they would see I was praising Tiger here in his doing this very thing with this event and Frys and said the same thing to ddec yesterday.

The field is terrible and outside of opposite field events has few rivals in awfulness. That doesn't take away from someone playing well on a scorable course, it is merely showing that one can talk about the tournament thread about he actual tournament instead of praising or bashing a single person. It's ****ing crazy what goes on for/against this guy.

Tiger is very polarizing haha. I think THP folks may be the rare breed who can be fans of tiger, but also know the depth of the tour, and appreciate the outstanding play we've seen the last two years from younger guys. I imagine most people are either "tiger fans" or "golf fans" but I think it's possible to be both, I am.

Its funny, when I was on the west coast surrounded by laker fans, any time you would mention Lebron, a laker fan would chime in with "but he didn't do this that kobe did" when you never even mentioned kobe.

I know we have talked and you probably realize I'm a smart ass about everything, which may not translate to text, so for my part in any conflict I apologize. I know it wouldn't happen in an actual conversation

It makes perfect sense. It's funny because if some weren't so defensive they would see I was praising Tiger here in his doing this very thing with this event and Frys and said the same thing to ddec yesterday.

The field is terrible and outside of opposite field events has few rivals in awfulness. That doesn't take away from someone playing well on a scorable course, it is merely showing that one can talk about the tournament thread about he actual tournament instead of praising or bashing a single person. It's ****ing crazy what goes on for/against this guy.

Point made, this isn't the Catalina Wine Mixer.

I happened to have enjoyed the good golf I saw played by guys trying to keep their card or working to get established on tour. Awful field or not, where are rookies supposed to earn their keep if not for "lower end" tournaments. Dues have to be paid and not everyone is going to come out blazing a la Spieth and win on an exemption.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree. That era is over, plain and simple. It is only Friday. Lots of golf yet to be played. I see the tour now as the Spieth, Day, Rory and Dustin show now. Tiger playing or not playing has passed, just like it did when Arnie and Jack stopped winning (and playing).

with Tiger in the final group it will be the highest rated Saturday golf for the year

If Tiger is in contention tomorrow, could TV ratings be higher than last week's major?

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I don't know if we see a good round from Tiger today. I hope I'm wrong, but lots of mental issues with his game and now that there will be pressure on him to keep up the good play and possibly win, I'm not sure he'll respond well to it. If he does perform well today, that is real progress.

I kinda agree, and also find it interesting that Tiger has only done particularly well on courses with, as you said, scorable layouts. That another fire-at-the-flag course, Greenbrier, is one of the other locations where Tiger has found success (relatively speaking) this year, is that all we really have to look forward to? Tiger being able to shred middling fields and easy courses?

That being said, I think -11 after two rounds is still a great score. I can idly wonder what a player who's coming in hot would be able to do to this course, but I'm not sure we'd be talking about Jason Day being 3 or 4 strokes ahead of the field if he were playing this weekend. From what I've seen of the first two rounds, 11-under is objectively very solid.

With the schedule as packed as it is, short of making the once every 3 or 5 mandatory I see no way to make it work. The Tour wants as many big names as possible to play all four weeks of the playoffs. When you combine that with the PGA Championship last week, there's just no way to attract others to this event.

I actually like how the Wyndham has marketed itself as the final regular season event - play to what you have. It's a fascinating weekend for those close to the 125 number...

This first tee guy thinks he's Michael Buffer hahaha. Easy bud

Good first hole for Tiger ...

playing with Tiger is already in this guys head

That was a spectacularly bad putt from Hoge

Back