Tour Event 2021 Ryder Cup

You are suggesting now that Berger, Koepka, and DJ have a pulse on that?

Hmm... I'm struggling with it
2nd guessing is for when you are losing.....Not when you are winning. Drilling down into details of who did what is needed by Euro's.....Not US. imo

When you are winning....Do you go with what got you there? Or do you try to do even better? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.........
They won in both sessions, so how do you decide to go with the team that didn’t?

They won in both sessions, so how do you decide to go with the team that didn’t?
It just feels too safe. Clearly no expert but I wouldn’t be putting out the exact same pairings when guys like Finau played so well this afternoon. Who knows.

My guess is not everyone wants to be in that pressure cooker for 36. and I'll trust the Captains choices because no one....as in NO ONE expected a US 6-2 after day one. .

My guess is not everyone wants to be in that pressure cooker for 36. and I'll trust the Captains choices because no one....as in NO ONE expected a US 6-2 after day one. .
I wouldn’t say nobody, which we discussed on the podcast, but I’m not a fan of the idea of “well they did it so don’t question it”. They did it today too and it didn’t work.

Im hopeful and frankly think they get it done tomorrow, but when you have guys that rose to the occasion and sit them, it deserves to be questioned.

So being that Scheffler hit first every time, how?
Because these guys are used to playing their ball, their good shots and their misses. Bryson misses in places other golfers don't miss at. Sheffler misses in places Bryson doesn't go into. In the alternate shot format, pairing golfers who have good rapports or similar *misses* is important. Bryson probably isn't a great pair for because of his misses or how well/poorly he gets along with his teammates. The Ryder Cup is different than normal golf. I feel like we just had a tour pro tell us that recently.

Stricker, he's from Wisconsin in case you didn't know, mentioned that the pairings and gameplan has been in place since the beginning of the week. Stick to the plan.

I wouldn’t say nobody, which we discussed on the podcast, but I’m not a fan of the idea of “well they did it so don’t question it”. They did it today too and it didn’t work.

Im hopeful and frankly think they get it done tomorrow, but when you have guys that rose to the occasion and sit them, it deserves to be questioned.

after hearing Dean say the average world ranking of the US is 9 and the average of the euros is 30 I thought. “Oh today makes perfect sense”.

Because these guys are used to playing their ball, their good shots and their misses. Bryson misses in places other golfers don't miss at. Sheffler misses in places Bryson doesn't go into. In the alternate shot format, pairing golfers who have good rapports or similar *misses* is important. Bryson probably isn't a great pair for because of his misses or how well/poorly he gets along with his teammates. The Ryder Cup is different than normal golf. I feel like we just had a tour pro tell us that recently.

Stricker, he's from Wisconsin in case you didn't know, mentioned that the pairings and gameplan has been in place since the beginning of the week. Stick to the plan.

The miss really only comes into play off the tee right?

You know sometimes you play great but don't score...and sometimes you play ok and score great. Given US position of up 6-2...I play the same who got me there...
I mean, Stricker is obviously supportive of your perspective.

From my end, I don't think these guys are so fragile that playing the hot hand would put added pressure on others. In all my years of competitive sports, you always expect the best players out there for the most critical moments.

Maybe they rose because they were sat....sitting can be a great motivator.

Stricker probably knows how each player actually scored this afternoon.

Examples:
Xander had two birdies this afternoon.
Cantlay had one birdie this afternoon.
JT had two birdies and an eagle this afternoon.
I don't think anyone wants Xander/Cantlay to sit in the morning, do they? No.

I mean, Stricker is obviously supportive of your perspective.

From my end, I don't think these guys are so fragile that playing the hot hand would put added pressure on others. In all my years of competitive sports, you always expect the best players out there for the most critical moments.
Day one is not the critical moments. and now that day one was a success....I'd continue on with that same strategy.

How about Finau?

I don't get the argument still on Bryson. He showed today that he picked his spots and missed small. Repeat that tomorrow for anyone on the US team and it works out fine. Technically, JS and JT missed bigger than Bryson did.

Day one is not the critical moments. and now that day one was a success....I'd continue on with that same strategy.
Every single point at the Ryder Cup is a critical point.

I get it though, you're on board the Stricker train. That's cool - I hope JTJS win big tomorrow too.

How about Finau?

I don't get the argument still on Bryson. He showed today that he picked his spots and missed small. Repeat that tomorrow for anyone on the US team and it works out fine. Technically, JS and JT missed bigger than Bryson did.
I don't disagree with Finau, but that doesn't change the fact the Team has a plan and that plan did not include Finau playing in a Foursome Saturday morning.

I don't have an argument for the JT/JS pairing. Other than following the gameplan.

Every single point at the Ryder Cup is a critical point.

I get it though, you're on board the Stricker train. That's cool - I hope JTJS win big tomorrow too.
I hated Stricker as a Captain pick...I didn't like his ascension. But I like 6-2....and only a fool would mess with that.

I don't disagree with Finau, but that doesn't change the fact the Team has a plan and that plan did not include Finau playing in a Foursome Saturday morning.

I don't have an argument for the JT/JS pairing. Other than following the gameplan.
I don't get what the quoting is then. We're not here debating on Stricker sticking to a gameplan, we're debating the best possible pairings hahaha

Going same pairings is about as basic pedestrian logic as it gets.

I hated Stricker as a Captain pick...I didn't like his ascension. But I like 6-2....and only a fool would mess with that.
A fool would mess with the 6, not the 2.

Would you call him a fool if he dropped JSJT for someone else if they'd shot +5 today?

I don't get what the quoting is then. We're not here debating on Stricker sticking to a gameplan, we're debating the best possible pairings hahaha

You're right. I'm not debating the best possible pairings. I'm defending the pairings that were given.

Stricker is pedestrian. He's a simple man. From Wisconsin, if you hadn't heard. He went to college in Iowa and roots for the Bears, which probably means he's suffering from a brain injury.

You're right. I'm not debating the best possible pairings. I'm defending the pairings that were given.

Stricker is pedestrian. He's a simple man. From Wisconsin, if you hadn't heard. He went to college in Iowa and roots for the Bears, which probably means he's suffering from a brain injury.
I hear he likes hamburgers, not cheeseburgers.

I just don’t see how you sit finau after this afternoon.

couldn’t agree more. Pedestrian at it finest. If they go out tomorrow and lose he’s a moron if they split or worse he’s an idiot

A fool would mess with the 6, not the 2.

Would you call him a fool if he dropped JSJT for someone else if they'd shot +5 today?
My guess is that each of these guys wants to win. And they are big enough to have a chat with the Cap behind closed doors to speak about playing the guys who have best chance to win. They all know that only 8 are playing each session except singles....So if I'm the Cap....Those decisions are made before hand and if success is happening you stay with the plan.

Back