2022 Hurricane Season Thread

It's one of @MWard's better contributions. Many lives could be saved and many gas stations not go empty due to this scaling method...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A lot of it does have to do with building code too. New Jersey got absolutely dismantled by a tropical storm. Florida would have laughed at that. Now I acknowledge that homes in Jersey can sometimes be way older, and probably built with thoughts, prayers, and fist pumps. But, Florida kiiinddaaaa learned its lesson after Andrew. That was a giant punch in the mouth for builders here.

I appreciate this scale.
Easier to deal with than a tornado because typically plenty of warning. But to be fair I lived in the Clearwater area for close to 30 years off and on and never had a touch. I think other states have had as many direct hits in the last Few decades.

Oh DO tell!

When you typically have a Hurricane, businesses get it. If you have to deal with potential 70 mile an hour winds on your commute, that is a human resources nightmare so a lot of places cancel work. What’s that? No work tomorrow? Time to drink and enjoy the nice weather as the humidity is being sucked out of the area and fueling your impending death

Easier to deal with than a tornado because typically plenty of warning. But to be fair I lived in the Clearwater area for close to 30 years off and on and never had a touch. I think other states have had as many direct hits in the last Few decades.

North Carolina has gotten tagged more than FL as of late. Who knew right?

When you typically have a Hurricane, businesses get it. If you have to deal with potential 70 mile an hour winds on your commute, that is a human resources nightmare so a lot of places cancel work. What’s that? No work tomorrow? Time to drink and enjoy the nice weather as the humidity is being sucked out of the area and fueling your impending death

Time to drink and enjoy the nice weather as the humidity is being sucked out of the area and fueling your impending death

You are on a roll today!

The thing about Florida is that, for the most part, it’s built to drain water. Basically all of South Florida is built on previously swampy land. There are some exceptions as you move northwest in the state, but generally speaking Florida can shed water well enough.

That has not been the case for places like Louisiana, New York/New Jersey, and parts of Texas. In Florida we are really most at risk of wind. In other places, it’s the wind first, and then the flooding after.

A lot of it does have to do with building code too. New Jersey got absolutely dismantled by a tropical storm. Florida would have laughed at that. Now I acknowledge that homes in Jersey can sometimes be way older, and probably built with thoughts, prayers, and fist pumps. But, Florida kiiinddaaaa learned its lesson after Andrew. That was a giant punch in the mouth for builders here.

Andrew really was the turning point for FL with building codes, everything changed after that storm.

One funny thing about hurricanes and aging is that as a kid you would get so excited for a hurricane because it meant hurricane days off from school (like snow days in the rest of the country), and now as an adult and homeowner, I hope it does’t hit because I don’t want any damage to my home.

North Carolina has gotten tagged more than FL as of late. Who knew right?
We lived near Charlotte when Hugo came through. Made landfall near Charleston and was still a hurricane after a couple hundred miles. Where we lived was previously a tree farm. You could follow the paths of the tornados from the broken pine trees.

We lived near Charlotte when Hugo came through. Made landfall near Charleston and was still a hurricane after a couple hundred miles. Where we lived was previously a tree farm. You could follow the paths of the tornados from the broken pine trees.

That is crazy!

Bring it on!! Me if a hurricane hits..

89F32A9C-93BD-4A6A-A544-FDB7B503761E.jpeg

Sidebar...

that dude looks like a distant uncle! very distant..but relative nonetheless!! :ROFLMAO:

Just trying to get in where i fit in Ladies!! dont hate the player...hate the game!

No hating I just want to be invited to the party.

Andrew really was the turning point for FL with building codes, everything changed after that storm.

One funny thing about hurricanes and aging is that as a kid you would get so excited for a hurricane because it meant hurricane days off from school (like snow days in the rest of the country), and now as an adult and homeowner, I hope it does’t hit because I don’t want any damage to my home.

I’m in a similar boat, I’m busy waiting to see what damage it causes and how people’s insurance quotes are about to be. It’s the woorrrsttt

Safe travels buddy!
Left Jax at 7pm, landed in Marathon around 3am. Rained most of south Florida but not too windy. Pretty Wet down here in the keys haha.

Nebraska transplant newby to Citrus County FL since Apr 21. Naturally nervous about hurricane season since we knew nothing. Attended county seminars, talked to neighbors, watched the Tampa news specials. Now our supplies and plan is in place by 1 June. County will tell you whether to shelter in place, go to local shelters, or leave. 22 million Floridians trying to get into Georgia would not be fun. We’re well out of the storm surge area. Have friends farther inland that we can go to if needed. At least we have days warning versus minutes warning in Nebraska.

I used to hate hurricanes at sea, they are brutal even when you are on the outskirts of the storm.

I've seen derrick arms for the bow ramp disappear under the water many many times and flood out the tank deck on the LST's that I rode for 6 years in the Navy. This picture was from around 1988-1999...I can't remember.

These ships were almost flat bottomed and rode rough in 4 foot seas.

LST rough seas.jpg

Back