adidas Crossflex Golf Shoe

The waterproofing is an awesome feature for the sneaker type shoes. I played in Asics Matchplay 33 shoes today and my feet were SOAKED by hole 3. I was definitely missing some waterproofing.

They're really comfy. I'm walking 36 or more with them tomorrow.

nice pickup Charlie! walking 36 will be a great test! let us know how you make out man.

They gray/black pair will be mine tomorrow!

awesome.

Nice purchase Dam! You're going to enjoy those shoes quite a bit. I bet the black ones stay clean looking for a while.

quoted for non-ignoring purposes. j/k
i agree there, black shoes are easy to keep clean and have always held up well for me.

Heading to the range this morning and its time for Slime!

20120716_100030.jpg

we need some slime laces

I bought these but eventually returned them... couldn't get past how light they were. Great shoe though... just not for me.

I bought these but eventually returned them... couldn't get past how light they were. Great shoe though... just not for me.

Funny enough, that's one of the things I liked best about them.

Funny enough, that's one of the things I liked best about them.

Agreed--especially for walking and in this rather balmy summer we've all been experiencing.

Agreed--especially for walking and in this rather balmy summer we've all been experiencing.

Yep. I'm going out in a little while to walk a round in them and I'm hoping they're as light and breatheable as they seem.

You took them back because they were too light? Isn't that the whole idea? I much prefer a light weight shoe. Confused.

Slime on the course. Be back later with an update.

Well I wore these babies for the first time today and walked 24 holes. My course is pretty hilly so the walking gets pretty tough after a while. My feet are usually pretty sore for a few hours after walking a bunch of holes like that in my Sambas and such. I'll try to break these down by a few categories and compare them a bit to another Adidas offering, the Samba.

Comfort:

These things are quite possibly the most comfy shoes I've ever worn, golf or otherwise. More comfy than my sneakers now (Sambas), that's for sure. Like I said I walked 24 holes and was out there for 5 hours on my feet the whole time. My feet were obviously sore during a bit of it and for a small while after, but sitting here 4 hours after I got off the course, my ankles and feet are totally fine. I will say that usually around this time after walking that much I will still feel a slight soreness in my ankles, but that is not the case now.

One problem I did have with these in the comfort department was during my swing, when I follow through I bow by right ankle (front because I'm a lefty) a little bit. When I did that today, the edge of the back of the shoe started to cut into my ankle a little bit. With swing after swing it started to get irritating and hurt a bit. Even now there's a slight red mark where it kept hitting. I'm hoping this has to do with the shoe needing time to break in. I never had this problem with my Sambas as the edges of those shoes are much more padded. I sort of expected the Crossflex to not be as sturdy in that area of the shoe and I thought it would possibly give way to my ankle. That would relieve the pressure it put on me currently, but I'm not sure if other problems would have arisen. That's sort of irrelevant for now, but we'll see what happens as they break in.

Design:

I love the design of this shoe for the most part. Aesthetically, they look great. I have the black/slime version of the shoe, and I like the smile color on the accent parts of the shoe. I wish they had made the 3 stripes on the back of the shoes that slime color as I think it would have unified the shoe much more. I especially like that the top holes for the laces on the shoes are the slime color. A nice little accent added in gives the shoes something needed IMO.

Now that the graphic arts student in me has come out and said what he needed to say, I'll go into other parts of the design outside the looks. The sole of this shoe just looks great to me. Not sure how that matters since they are facing down the whole round, but I love looking at the sole of the shoes and the design of the nub/spike things that give the shoes grip. I also really like the mesh material that they're made out of. It was really warm out today and super humid, but these shoes were very breathable all day out there for me. While the rest of me sweated a ton out there, my feet stayed surprisingly dry and it felt really nice all day. It was bone dry out there, so I had no opportunity to test out the waterproof feature of the shoes.

One thing I don't like about the design of these shoes is in the top of the shoe. The laces are crap. I'll say that outright. They are made of a really cheap and thin material and they're even a bit shorter than I think I like, but that's just nitpicking at this point. Next time I'm out and have the chance, I'm going to pick up some new laces for them. I plan on trying to match the slime color as best as possible because I think that would look great. If I can't I'll just go with some higher quality black laces, which would be the same color as the cheap ones that came with the shoes. Also on the top of the shoe which I thought caused a bit of a problem was the tongue of the shoe. They are also a bit thinner than I would've liked to see, and even though I tied my shoes pretty tight, the tongues slid down toward the outsides of the shoes during the round as I walked. I've found this to be the case with my Sambas as well, and those have thin tongues as well. Not a terribly big problem as it didn't cause any discomfort, but it was something I noticed.

Last, I'll point out what I like best about these shoes. They are very sturdy, yet flexible, and also very light. These shoes are very light and that is something I love about them. I can deal with the thin soles and whatnot since it comes with the lightness of the shoes. Also, I found them to be very sturdy. Like I mentioned before with the side of the shoe cutting into my ankle a bit, that comes with these being very sturdy. The backs of these held up really well and didn't bend or flex much which I like a lot. The back and the sides have a lot of support which makes them very stable when I'm swinging and even just walking. Though I do hope they break in a touch so they stop rubbing my ankle. All while being this stable, they are also very flexible. I can bend the shoe almost all the way back on itself in hand, and that flexibility is I'm sure part of what contributes to the comfort of these shoes.

Grip:

I had no slipping issues at all today. That's the most important thing, at least to me. These shoes perform no worse during the swing than any of my other shoes I've tried, which is huge for the comfort and weight they offer. I already noted the design of the nubs in the bottom and how much I liked that, and I'm pleased to say how well they worked. It was dry out today, so I don't know what would happen in wetter conditions. We'll have to save that for a later time. I think the stability in the shoe that I talked about before really is a part of how well these perform during the swing. Basically, I had no problems at all today when swinging. There's not much more to say about this.

I loved these shoes. I'm glad I bought them. They'll be really good for when I start walking anywhere from 36-72 holes every week come August in the hot temps of SC. They certainly improved over my Sambas in the comfort department for lots of walking while not giving up any ground in the grip of the shoes. I can't wait to get back out on the course for round 2 with these babies!

Great write up Dam. I have almost the exact same thoughts as you do but I haven't gotten a chance to walk in these yet and it looks like I will be OK with them. My only gripe like you is that it digs into the front of my left ankle as well (I am a righty) but that's minor and can be dealt with. I am still loving these shoes and will be adding more here soon.

Seriously. Tappin'.

Great write up, D. Just confirmed why I really would like a pair.

nice review D.
i'm hoping to walk more in them as well, to get some better feedback...but i believe i'll see the same great things that you did.

hey Kmac - do you think these are more comfortable to wear than the Nike Lunar Ascend?

Nice update D, glad to hear they're a good walking shoe, as I walk almost all the time now, I've been eying lighter shoes like this for a while, I'm thinking the black is the way to go!!!

Great review D. I'm going to pick up a pair of these as soon as GG gets the color I want in stock.

John Deere Tap'n

hey Kmac - do you think these are more comfortable to wear than the Nike Lunar Ascend?

Its close dude. These seem to fit a little better but I think the lunar ascends might be a little more comfortable but not by much.

found these for $85 online, is that a good price?

Also I typically wear a 11.5 wide with my Adidas Golf Shoes, but I havent come across any wides out there on any site, do they not make them in this style? If not, do u guys think that I could be in trouble?

Its close dude. These seem to fit a little better but I think the lunar ascends might be a little more comfortable but not by much.

thanks buddy. I was thinking about it last night when I had the Lunar Ascends on.

Frustrating...everywhere I have gone to grab these, they only have the black/slime. I want gray/black, need to find somewhere that has them.

Frustrating...everywhere I have gone to grab these, they only have the black/slime. I want gray/black, need to find somewhere that has them.

tgw.com $85

And there I have it, thanks Mike.,

no problem I want the same colors as you, but afraid that the 11.5 (m) will give me fits since I normally wear 11.5 wide

Back