Almost got into a fight on the course today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have just gone up there and whupped all their arse's, take them to the woodshed and then skip around them :D

When in doubt, whip their arse on the way to the next hole and you don't have to worry about the tee box.

At 13, she cusses way more than you so don't think you're shielding her from the adult world. Should they have been dropping f bombs, probably not but had I been in there position, I'd have a little irked about you hole hopping like that.
Mouthing off about being a member like you're entitled to do what you want how & when you want wasn't called for either. You ain't special.
You & the other semi members should discuss getting the cage from Thunder Dome for the 19th hole? Sounds like there are enough pricks there to make it a wise investment. 2 golfers enter, 1 golfer gets first tee time.

No one likes slow play, but if you play a lot of golf, its going to happen. Sometimes, you take it for what it is and enjoy the fact that you are going to get a bit more time with your daughter out on a golf course. Life is too short.

Wow! If you don't like the slow play of the general public, pony up the extra coin and join a country club. As far as I'm concerned, your season pass or "membership" does not entitle you to three hour rounds in the afternoon on a SEMI private course.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

When in doubt, whip their arse on the way to the next hole and you don't have to worry about the tee box.

Now ya cooking with Crisco :thumb:

Yikes....doesn't sound like a fun round.

1st of all, being a "member" and living on the course gives you no more rights on the course as anyone else. It would be common courtesy for you to stop and talk with the group you are going to skip around. (bad on you)

Dropping the f bomb around a child is not good(bad on them), but going back to a group to tell them you were going to kick all their butts is even worse. (bad on you)
Your statement of coming back to kick all their butts constitutes a threat of bodily harm and in these days, whose to say you won't bring a gun with you?(really bad on you)
Just because you are a really big guy, that doesn't give you the right to make threats like that. You really should be careful who you make threats to.
And, you never know when you might threaten someone that just might whip your butt.....right in front of your daughter.

I do hope you don't have more trouble on the course, and best wishes for your daughter's upcoming tourneys.

I would have just gone up there and whupped all their arse's, take them to the woodshed and then skip around them :D

I love the ole gray method of thinking haha

In the end if you have to wait for a slow group, practice chipping or play two balls for practice

I am a member at a Semi-Private Club and own a home on the course. My 13 year old daughter is a Jr. golfer and I have been preparing her for tournaments around the state next month. I am a 14 handicap and she is a 10. We usually tee off in the morning and play in 2.5 to 3 hours. We hit fairways and play fast.

So today we are playing in the afternoon which is when the non members are usually on the course. I hate slow play. We start off the day with a foursome of 3 old women and a man in front of us. There is then a foursome of 2 men and 2 women that hit into us because the people in front of us are slow. After the second hole I had enough of the people in front of us and skip ahead to hole 4. No one was in front of the foursome so we gave a friendly wave and drove by. We played pretty fast then until we got to hole 7. Old guy was terrible and kept throwing balls out of his pocket until he hit a good shot.

I was hoping to make the turn and get in front of them but it didn't happen. I got up to the tee and said the heck with this. We drove around the 3 groups in front of us to go to number 12 and play. Wasn't like I was asking to play through. I was moving ahead of the slow pace of the 3 groups in front of us. We were going to circle back around and play 10 and 11 last.

We passed a group on number 11 that was putting on the green. We drove on number 12 and the group approaches. 3 men and 1 woman. One of the guys says "What he he11 are you doing?" I answered "We are skipping holes to get in front of the slow pace." They weren't members and then started in. Guy says "That is rude. You didn't even ask." I said, "Why do I have to ask? I am a member here and am the one skipping holes. We play fast and will be 2 holes ahead of you in no time." His buddy says, "You are a Fing Ahole." His buddy says, "I am calling the pro shop and telling the pro what an Ahole you are." I said "Great, tell them to send the ranger out to speed your group up while you are at it."

I then drive off and start to think about how I wanted to handle this. I was pissed off that they were cursing and dropped the Fbomb in front of my 13 year old daughter. So, I went and pick our balls up and drove back to the tee box where they at. Of course the one guy was on his phone to the pro shop. I got out of the cart and walked up to the guy who dropped the Fbomb. Let me preface the rest by saying I can hold my own. I am only 6'4" 280 lbs. So I get out walked walked up to this guy and he already starts backing away. I said to him "I am sorry if you think I am rude. I just want to apologize to you." I then pointed my finger directly into his chest. I said "But I have a problem with you cursing and throwing the FBomb in front of my 13 year old daughter. I live right over there. I am going to take her home and then drive up to the pro shop and let them know what is going to happen. When I am done talking to the pro I am going to come back out here and kick all 3 of your a$$es." All three then had nothing to say and started to back up.

I stayed calm the entire time. I drove up to talk to the Pro and told my kid to stay in the cart. I told him what was going on and that I was taking my daughter home. I was then going to drive out and find them on the course and whip their a$$es. He said "Holy cow. I know the guys you are talking about. They are arrogant pr1cks. Please don't go back out there. I will drive out now and tell them they aren't welcomed here anymore."

To this point I am still fired up. These 3 turds ruined a great afternoon of golf. I was at a 43 at that point and my daughter was at 44. We went and played the front 9 again because it was empty. But man did that ruin the golf for the rest of the day. Although, my drive on the next we played of the incident went 300 because my adrenaline was pumping so much.

Had I not read your thread I would never have thought of joining the THP forums.

I regret to say that you will get no sympathy from me. I can see both sides of the issue but your arrogant attitude and blatant use of brute force have no place on a golf course. You set a bad example to your daughter and I hope that you will reflect on your outburst with a view to being more considerate in future. Being polite costs nothing and it will help to avoid such undesirable confrontations. You ruined your day and that of fellow course users. Sounds as though your club could do with some effective course marshals.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct. Should've gone one more hole. Thought we could get done before they got there. Obviously it was the wrong decision.

And to let you guys know, the Pro agreed with me.
Then your pro was wrong too. He seriously didn't have any issue with you threatening these guys? The pro needs to re-evaluate himself because he sucks.

I have stayed out of this thread. But not after actually reading the op.

You brag about your size. But you were not the bigger man in this situation. You handled it poorly. Very very poorly.

Also, being on a golf course doesn't mean you are entitled to a quick round.

Then your pro was wrong too. He seriously didn't have any issue with you threatening these guys? The pro needs to re-evaluate himself because he sucks.
LOL. Give em he'll smalls!

I understand where the OP is coming from. I'm not a dad by any means, but if I had my niece or nephew out on the course I would be pretty angry had they been dropping the FBomb around the as well. However, this could have been handled better.

I had a "Slow-Play" problem about a month ago, on my home course. The group ahead of us was playing with a group of 6 who wouldn't let us play through, and my twosome was crammed in between them and a foursome behind us. We were on 8, and I had just hit my approach (Beautiful, 150 out and within an inch) and was on the green preparing to tap in when I heard a "Whizz" sound. I look beside me and my partner had ducked down, and the sound in question was a ball that had been hit onto the green while we were still on. The green is uphill and the group behind us didn't bother to check to see if we were through before playing in. While it never came to a physical altercation, we did stick around (Not slowing anything up, the group ahead of us was still on the tee box of 9) until they came to the greens. They quickly realized why we were there. They were a group of older men, they apologized, we shook hands, and they bought us a beer when we came to make the turn.

I understand where the OP is coming from. I'm not a dad by any means, but if I had my niece or nephew out on the course I would be pretty angry had they been dropping the FBomb around the as well. However, this could have been handled better.

As a dad. I can say this, I would be embarrassed to have my daughter see me like that. When around kids, recognizing teaching moments is key. And in the op's situation, he sure reads like he failed

As a dad. I can say this, I would be embarrassed to have my daughter see me like that. When around kids, recognizing teaching moments is key. And in the op's situation, he sure reads like he failed

All true. We all make mistakes. Being a parent is really hard. If I had a birdie for every time I could reflect back and wish I handled a situation better/differently I'd be on tour.

Handled bad all the way around, but probably worse by you. This is exactly why I generally stay off of Semi-Private courses and why I generally don't play on the weekends.

All true. We all make mistakes. Being a parent is really hard. If I had a birdie for every time I could reflect back and wish I handled a situation better/differently I'd be on tour.

I agree.

I just force myself to remember that never has two wrongs made a right.

It's wrong to jump around the golf course. You just wait. That's the way it is.

TTing

One jump isn't bad if the course isn't busy and you do it to avoid inconveniencing others. More than that is just being too impatient IMO.

Darn, now I'm in this, so I'll add my 2 cents. I don't see where using the F word around a 13 year old is grounds for fighting. They hear a lot worse every day. Now if they went into graphic detail that became obscenity, that would be a different story. I'd have to ask them to tone it down around my kid. But in this situation, things had already escalated beyond the point of politeness. It never should have gotten there to begin with. As soon as someone becomes confrontational, no one is going to admit they are wrong and it will almost never end well.

Not sure why you didn't use the time waiting to just hang out and talk with your daughter. As mine is getting ready to go off to college I now realize how valuable and precious those times were behind a slow foursome were to me

I just looked it up for the fun of it and it turns out a PG-13 movie is allowed the use of one non-sexual F word, so I guess a 13 year old is only allowed to hear that word about once every two hours.

Not sure why you didn't use the time waiting to just hang out and talk with your daughter. As mine is getting ready to go off to college I now realize how valuable and precious those times were behind a slow foursome were to me

This is spot on. My dad and I had some good talks waiting. Being a father now, I realized that being out playing golf is second to the time being spent bonding. It also taught me patience.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Spoiler

this. i had about 10 reasons typed out on good ways to pass the time, and this was reason 1, 2, and 3.

As I just read up on this thread this was the first thing that came to mind. I don't get what the rush was. I use long rounds as an chance to share jokes and stories with friends. If I had a kid I would look at it as an opportunity to spend some quality time with my child. I've noticed this more and more lately on golf courses that people are more concerned with finishing as quickly as possible and get so impatient at any waiting. However, the op takes impatience on a golf course to another level. It seems like they skipped as many holes as they played. When you play golf there are going to be rounds you wait, it happens.

Looking at the whole situation, the op caused the problem by jumping around the course and cutting off a group then saying we're skipping ahead because of the slow play, made the situation worse by playing the membership card and driving back to the tee box after he had left, threatened to beat them up, and did nothing to resolve the issue. The other group could have used better language but compared to the op, they did a lot more to resolve the issue. Yes they used a couple choice words that were uncalled for but they were completely right calling the op out on skipping ahead. In my opinion, the op shoulders about 99% of the blame in this situation.

You brag about your size. But you were not the bigger man in this situation. You handled it poorly. Very very poorly.

I guess op has never heard, the bigger they are the harder they fall.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back