Almost got into a fight on the course today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to throw more wood on the fire, but what were you expecting on a Saturday afternoon in San Diego? Especially as a twosome

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Personally I don't think it's worth getting so worked up over. I also think it was wrong of you to confront these guys and stick a finger in his chest and threaten to kick some ass. Granted you say your a bigger guy, but who's to say you didn't come close to getting cracked in the head with a club or have someone pull a gun and shoot you because they felt threatened by your size (yes people carry guns even at the golf course). Being that you confronted them and poked a guy in the chest, you'd be in the wrong should anything of happened. Maybe it's just the COP in me but that is the reality and in most states, your actions could have gotten you arrested for assault.

I feel like this is a candid camera like thread.

I am a member at a Semi-Private Club and own a home on the course. My 13 year old daughter is a Jr. golfer and I have been preparing her for tournaments around the state next month. I am a 14 handicap and she is a 10. We usually tee off in the morning and play in 2.5 to 3 hours. We hit fairways and play fast.

So today we are playing in the afternoon which is when the non members are usually on the course. I hate slow play. We start off the day with a foursome of 3 old women and a man in front of us. There is then a foursome of 2 men and 2 women that hit into us because the people in front of us are slow. After the second hole I had enough of the people in front of us and skip ahead to hole 4. No one was in front of the foursome so we gave a friendly wave and drove by. We played pretty fast then until we got to hole 7. Old guy was terrible and kept throwing balls out of his pocket until he hit a good shot.

I was hoping to make the turn and get in front of them but it didn't happen. I got up to the tee and said the heck with this. We drove around the 3 groups in front of us to go to number 12 and play. Wasn't like I was asking to play through. I was moving ahead of the slow pace of the 3 groups in front of us. We were going to circle back around and play 10 and 11 last.

We passed a group on number 11 that was putting on the green. We drove on number 12 and the group approaches. 3 men and 1 woman. One of the guys says "What he he11 are you doing?" I answered "We are skipping holes to get in front of the slow pace." They weren't members and then started in. Guy says "That is rude. You didn't even ask." I said, "Why do I have to ask? I am a member here and am the one skipping holes. We play fast and will be 2 holes ahead of you in no time." His buddy says, "You are a Fing Ahole." His buddy says, "I am calling the pro shop and telling the pro what an Ahole you are." I said "Great, tell them to send the ranger out to speed your group up while you are at it."

I then drive off and start to think about how I wanted to handle this. I was pissed off that they were cursing and dropped the Fbomb in front of my 13 year old daughter. So, I went and pick our balls up and drove back to the tee box where they at. Of course the one guy was on his phone to the pro shop. I got out of the cart and walked up to the guy who dropped the Fbomb. Let me preface the rest by saying I can hold my own. I am only 6'4" 280 lbs. So I get out walked walked up to this guy and he already starts backing away. I said to him "I am sorry if you think I am rude. I just want to apologize to you." I then pointed my finger directly into his chest. I said "But I have a problem with you cursing and throwing the FBomb in front of my 13 year old daughter. I live right over there. I am going to take her home and then drive up to the pro shop and let them know what is going to happen. When I am done talking to the pro I am going to come back out here and kick all 3 of your a$$es." All three then had nothing to say and started to back up.

I stayed calm the entire time. I drove up to talk to the Pro and told my kid to stay in the cart. I told him what was going on and that I was taking my daughter home. I was then going to drive out and find them on the course and whip their a$$es. He said "Holy cow. I know the guys you are talking about. They are arrogant pr1cks. Please don't go back out there. I will drive out now and tell them they aren't welcomed here anymore."

To this point I am still fired up. These 3 turds ruined a great afternoon of golf. I was at a 43 at that point and my daughter was at 44. We went and played the front 9 again because it was empty. But man did that ruin the golf for the rest of the day. Although, my drive on the next we played of the incident went 300 because my adrenaline was pumping so much.

understand your frustration man and when practising alone at my club, I too skip holes, I do reckon you were a bit close though with people on the green as theyd have no idea of your pace/skill and would reasonably expect to be held up so I see why they werent happy. im glad it didnt end in violence, the golf course is no place for that

Hate the fact those guys were so rude esp in front of your daughter. At least you won't have to worry about then there again.

I think you should have went back and kicked some ass dude.

In reality it sucks bad and I can see your anger but I can also see how certain loud mouths would take offense to you jumping in front of them. Not saying it's wrong or anything but I can see that happening. Perhaps you should have hopped one more hole or 1/2 hole ahead and it wouldn't have been an issue. OR stop and clear it with the dudes before you tee off. I totally see your stance, especially as members there, we get that a lot on my home course on the weekends too. Drives me nuts!

I'm kinda indifferent here. In one instance, I can see where you will get super upset about them swearing in front of your daughter. That was not cool. In another, I don't see why beating them was necessary. I think just telling them to have fun playing somewhere else would've been fine.

I see absolutly no problem jumping ahead of slower groups as long as your not inhibiting any group in front or behind you's play. The whole issue with jumping ahead during a practice/twiligt round is to reduce bottle necks on the course, personally when im in a 4 some i prefer if a faster pair does jump ahead a hole, rather and hitting into me and rushing me up every fairway and off every green.

They said a few curses in front of your daughter. You threatened to physically assault them. Actions speak louder than words. I think you were completely in the wrong. You acted pretty childishly IMO.

"Great, tell them to send the ranger out to speed your group up while you are at it."

^Got a good laugh out of that. I'd say you both were in the wrong. Completely disrespectful for them to cuss in front of your 13 year old daughter, but at 13 I probably knew more cuss words than my parents.

First off, at a semi private course, the daily fee players pay much more of the expenses than the members...so just because you are a member doesn't give you special rights, if I was on a green putting out and you rolled up to the tee box in front of me, I would be pissed too. Now that does not give them the right to drop Chunky Bombs in front of your 13 year old daughter...but threatening to kick their a$$ in front of her probably wasnt very good either.

I am a member at a Semi-Private Club and own a home on the course. My 13 year old daughter is a Jr. golfer and I have been preparing her for tournaments around the state next month. I am a 14 handicap and she is a 10. We usually tee off in the morning and play in 2.5 to 3 hours. We hit fairways and play fast.

So today we are playing in the afternoon which is when the non members are usually on the course. I hate slow play. We start off the day with a foursome of 3 old women and a man in front of us. There is then a foursome of 2 men and 2 women that hit into us because the people in front of us are slow. After the second hole I had enough of the people in front of us and skip ahead to hole 4. No one was in front of the foursome so we gave a friendly wave and drove by. We played pretty fast then until we got to hole 7. Old guy was terrible and kept throwing balls out of his pocket until he hit a good shot.

I was hoping to make the turn and get in front of them but it didn't happen. I got up to the tee and said the heck with this. We drove around the 3 groups in front of us to go to number 12 and play. Wasn't like I was asking to play through. I was moving ahead of the slow pace of the 3 groups in front of us. We were going to circle back around and play 10 and 11 last.

We passed a group on number 11 that was putting on the green. We drove on number 12 and the group approaches. 3 men and 1 woman. One of the guys says "What he he11 are you doing?" I answered "We are skipping holes to get in front of the slow pace." They weren't members and then started in. Guy says "That is rude. You didn't even ask." I said, "Why do I have to ask? I am a member here and am the one skipping holes. We play fast and will be 2 holes ahead of you in no time." His buddy says, "You are a Fing Ahole." His buddy says, "I am calling the pro shop and telling the pro what an Ahole you are." I said "Great, tell them to send the ranger out to speed your group up while you are at it."

I then drive off and start to think about how I wanted to handle this. I was pissed off that they were cursing and dropped the Fbomb in front of my 13 year old daughter. So, I went and pick our balls up and drove back to the tee box where they at. Of course the one guy was on his phone to the pro shop. I got out of the cart and walked up to the guy who dropped the Fbomb. Let me preface the rest by saying I can hold my own. I am only 6'4" 280 lbs. So I get out walked walked up to this guy and he already starts backing away. I said to him "I am sorry if you think I am rude. I just want to apologize to you." I then pointed my finger directly into his chest. I said "But I have a problem with you cursing and throwing the FBomb in front of my 13 year old daughter. I live right over there. I am going to take her home and then drive up to the pro shop and let them know what is going to happen. When I am done talking to the pro I am going to come back out here and kick all 3 of your a$$es." All three then had nothing to say and started to back up.

I stayed calm the entire time. I drove up to talk to the Pro and told my kid to stay in the cart. I told him what was going on and that I was taking my daughter home. I was then going to drive out and find them on the course and whip their a$$es. He said "Holy cow. I know the guys you are talking about. They are arrogant pr1cks. Please don't go back out there. I will drive out now and tell them they aren't welcomed here anymore."

To this point I am still fired up. These 3 turds ruined a great afternoon of golf. I was at a 43 at that point and my daughter was at 44. We went and played the front 9 again because it was empty. But man did that ruin the golf for the rest of the day. Although, my drive on the next we played of the incident went 300 because my adrenaline was pumping so much.

If you had done the above to me on ANY course here in the UK, that I had paid good money to play then I would not only have been complaining to the pro, but also speaking to and writing to the club to get them to revoke your membership.

Slow play on the golf course is a fact of life and it happens, no one likes it but most "adults" deal with it and just get on with it. Had it have been a single person or maybe even a two ball in front of you that were playing 2 balls each off every tee and no one else on the course, then I could maybe have understood your actions. But frankly what you did was wrong. You skipped holes and jumped all over the course because you couldn't be bothered to wait along with everyone else - that's wrong simple as.

I agree that swearing infront of your daughter was out of order, and I can also accept you wanting to make your point about that clear. But threatening a group of people with physical violence because you couldn't get your own way - man that is low.

Personally think you need to review your actions and learn a lesson here. Sorry to have to say that, but that's my honest view on tHe situation.

Slow play is frustrationg but you have to be quicker with mind than the fists. I would have politely responded by asking the the one who dropped the "f" bomb to become asexual and reporduce himself over and over and left him standing there wondering what i just said to him.

If I were the OP, I would have been embarrassed to post my account on here. The fact that he has posted a narrative, in the way he has done, says to me all I need to know!

Manners cost nothing we all teach our kids to be polite and ask using please and thankyou. What you did in essence barging you way through with not a care or consideration to ask if it was ok to play through is rude and using the I'm a member number totally disrespectful, having said that they was totally wrong for using inappropriate language in front of your daughter.

I would have just gone up there and whupped all their arse's, take them to the woodshed and then skip around them :D

You're daughter hopefully learned an important lesson out of this.....that two wrongs don't make a right.

You should have gone one more hole up, they shouldn't have cussed at you, and you shouldn't have threatened to kick there ass.

All in all, just an ugly deal all the way around.

If I were the OP, I would have been embarrassed to post my account on here. The fact that he has posted a narrative, in the way he has done, says to me all I need to know!

this...

I would have just gone up there and whupped all their arse's, take them to the woodshed and then skip around them :D
That's why no one messes with ole gray!

That's why no one messes with ole gray!

You tell em brother :deadhorse: :cowboy::devil::golf3::starwars::stickbeat::terror::zsimpsons:

Ole gray: Leader of the woodshed mafia.

One word WOW. Seems to me this exchange was all instigated by poor judgement. The guys shouldn't have been dropping F-Bomb's in front of a kid but why put your kid in that position in the first place.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a good situation at all. I understand you don't like slow play, but I think you should have hopped to the thirteenth hole. Everything would've been avoided.

I know if someone skipped holes to get around my group and teed off right in front of me as I was approaching the tee box I would be ticked too.

My thoughts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back