Applying to College

I think I would like to relive my 4 years of college, but I don't think my body could handle it any more.

Damaikis,
When do you find out about Cornell? Should be around December 1, right? Hopefully you get in there and then you don't have to fill out any more applications!

Same here. In college I didn't even go out until 11pm now I am ready for bed at 10pm. I fear I have lost my youth.

I hate to say it, but most nights I am the same way. It takes me about a month to bounce back from the Outing. I love partying for 3 straight nights, but it puts a dent in my life.

I wish I could live my first year of college down under over and over again. Man, what a great time that was.

I drank a lot of High Life in college. A lot. It was fantastic.

A little off topic, but I thought it was funny. The endowment at Duke is $5.7 billion according to wikipedia... the endowment at my school is $441 million. Where does all that money go!?
We're in the top 10 for research universities in Canada, but man we must be small fries!

Back on topic: When you are visiting McGill, have your sister take you for a walk down Rue St-Catharines, and Crescent Avenue... you'll know the reason why as soon as you get there.

To pay the basketball team of course!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Damaikis,
When do you find out about Cornell? Should be around December 1, right? Hopefully you get in there and then you don't have to fill out any more applications!

December 15. I will have to write some of the essays for other colleges before then. That would suck to get in and have already written some essays, but if I don't get in, it will be better to be ahead.

I remember back when I was applying money was pretty tight so my Dad put a limit of 3 applications. Not sure what the fees are nowadays, but that was pretty limiting. Kent State, Ohio State, and Pitt were my choices.

What career do you want? That's a big detail that should pretty much guide you in the right direction.

This is a great informative thread. My daughter will be going through this next year. She is pretty much set on going to Florida State as they have the best forensics program in the country according to the research she's done.

If you don't mind me asking Damaikis, what are application fees these days?

To pay the basketball team of course!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Hanks, I will slap you in the face at the Outing for that comment. :alien:

December 15. I will have to write some of the essays for other colleges before then. That would suck to get in and have already written some essays, but if I don't get in, it will be better to be ahead.

Definitely get some of the essays done ahead of time, you don't want to be scrambling around the holidays to write them for other applications.

If you end up applying to Duke, shoot me a PM if you have questions. One plus about Duke: the last 2 years I was there, I could walk from my dorm room to the first tee at the Duke Golf Course in 15 minutes, and could pay $18 to play it in the afternoon. It's a really nice course as well, hosted the 2001 NCAA Championships. The rates have gone up slightly since then, but not by much.

Good luck on those applications! Back when I went, it was between Texas and Rice. Texas was an easy in, good GPA, SAT and that little top 10% rule. I got into Rice as well, but the lure of Texas won out.

Like everyone said, enjoy your time, and be very mindful of debt. I know plenty of friends who are paying $2k a month on their student loans. Ivy's are great, but have a good debt plan and, as people said, scholarships and work that financial aid system!

This is a great informative thread. My daughter will be going through this next year. She is pretty much set on going to Florida State as they have the best forensics program in the country according to the research she's done.

If you don't mind me asking Damaikis, what are application fees these days?

I actually don't know, so I'm sorry about that. I can tell you once I send in some apps. Anyways, I'll tell you this: try to help your daughter out but don't be too pushy like my pa is. Otherwise she will hate you.

I actually don't know, so I'm sorry about that. I can tell you once I send in some apps. Anyways, I'll tell you this: try to help your daughter out but don't be too pushy like my pa is. Otherwise she will hate you.
I'm encouraging her choice of schools. I hear rumours here on THP that there are some fair to middlin golf courses in Florida :D

Lets see, I will be filling out apps to the following this weekend:

Univ. of Montevallo
Univ. of Alabama
Vanderbilt

Same here. In college I didn't even go out until 11pm now I am ready for bed at 10pm. I fear I have lost my youth.

Its cause Josh likes to get up at 4 am

Best of luck to you Damaikis! I can't wait to apply to colleges this summer and next fall! Alot of people are visiting them right now....that's my goal for the spring! 5 colleges to visit. Hope you get into Cornell, you will like it. My friend's brothers are both going there now....

Best of luck to you Damaikis! I can't wait to apply to colleges this summer and next fall! Alot of people are visiting them right now....that's my goal for the spring! 5 colleges to visit. Hope you get into Cornell, you will like it. My friend's brothers are both going there now....

Start writing your essays early. That's my .02. It's very stressful if you don't.

Start writing your essays early. That's my .02. It's very stressful if you don't.

Good luck with this and with Cornell! I'm currently writing a ton of recommendations for my students. 100% agree about starting early. I have several who have already sent in their applications and are extremely happy they did.

Dama, that is an impressive list of schools and SAT scores. Sounds like you are trending in the right direction in life. All the best in your decison. Don't settle, take the best if it is offered and can be handled.

Thanks Tad. I'm kind of excited to see where I end up.

My brother started at Dartmouth transferred to GTand graduated from Morehouse undergrad and medical school. Education is key my man

My brother started at Dartmouth transferred to GTand graduated from Morehouse undergrad and medical school. Education is key my man

No doubt. I hope I end up happy wherever that is.

I'm only a junior, but I will start applying soon. My top 2 are Florida Gulf Coast and Florida State. FGCU has a great business school, which is what I'm looking for. I also might have a chance to play golf there.

I'm only a junior, but I will start applying soon. My top 2 are Florida Gulf Coast and Florida State. FGCU has a great business school, which is what I'm looking for. I also might have a chance to play golf there.

Good call starting early, and good luck!

Back