Nah, with the amount of choices out there, I believe there is something for everybody and even if we were to give something we didn't like more tries than we normally would, I bet we could find a groove with it. Lots of great choices out there!!

I don't think there is "bad" equipment. I do think, however, that there is a greater amount of false or misleading claims about equipment right now - especially distance claims. (I don't necessarily blame them. We all seem obsessed with distance right now!)

I wouldn't say there is bad equipment.

I think like everything, there may be manufacturing defects from time to time.

I don't think there is really bad equipment. Bad fits for someone due either to fitter error, consumer not getting fit and all and buying whats popular are a yes and could lead to a sour taste by someone. Different equipment suits different people and that is ok. I think there is the right equipment for each golfer and it is the golfer who has to find the right fit.

I think there is bad equipment out there. Not from any of the major companies that all of us look to for equipment but rather in those $199 complete sets at various discount retailers where QC is very low and I've seen more than one of these sets with snapped shafts during normal swings or heads coming off. So yes in the very low end of the market that none of us really look at there is bad equipment.

I was going to say no but then I remembered the EZ Forged and MP54's those were bad something was really off with the launch in those in thing's.

While I'm still adamant something is wrong with the CG in those, they still fit some people pretty well.

That's kind of my point, some seem to expect tons of negatives on something, and for individuals there can be, but my swing isn't everyone else's swing, so even if it doesn't fit me, I can still analyze if the club does what it claims.

Also, I should have specified, while I agree on some of the box set stuff, this was more directed toward the major OEM's and releases we see from them annually.

QC and tight tolerances is key IMO for a good product. When each iron in a set is a different swing weight, lofts and lies are all over the place, and pull the shafts and see different tip weights in each head, i am going to call that a bad product. Doesnt matter who or what name. Other than these QC issues there cannot be a bad product as long as it does what it was designed to do

I don't know that there is any bad equipment but some is better than others IMO. The cheaper (non-urethane) golf balls aren't exactly great in most respects. I say that semi-tongue in cheek though because I can't seem to lose the cheap stuff. Hand me a top tier ball and it might be gone on that first swing.

The above isn't always the case though and I understand that.

Bad for me does not equal bad equipment, bad equipment is equipment that does not do as claimed for anyone.

I agree. Some lines from the various OEM's work great for some and do nothing for others. Nothing wrong with that.

Best example I have see of bad equipment in recent times would be some premium golf balls which have very poor durability. To me this is can be classified as bad no matter who the user is. When I need to change a golf ball after 9 holes because cover is shredded then something is wrong !

Another example which I know many will disagree with is cheap stock shafts in $300-$400 drivers. Lately more manufacturers are offering a genuine aftermarket shaft for no upcharge which is a nice change. I know they use to claim that the shafts were designed for a specific head but I have yet to find anybody who I play with who prefers a stock shaft over a good fitted aftermarket shaft. This includes guys I know who are older golfers playing regular flex right up to guys with 110+mph swings.

New driver marketing is the one that gets me the most. If I gained every yard claimed from release to release for the past 10 years, I'd be hitting 630 yard drives by now. I just love todays marketing.

Sure there is bad equipment. And some manufactures don't hit out the park every time. Of course someone will always like what another doesn't but that doesn't mean it's not bad.

Some golfers have no clue what is good and what is bad. They like what they and have no clue why. It does what they want and that good enough for them. They could still be playing bad gear.

While I'm still adamant something is wrong with the CG in those, they still fit some people pretty well.

That's kind of my point, some seem to expect tons of negatives on something, and for individuals there can be, but my swing isn't everyone else's swing, so even if it doesn't fit me, I can still analyze if the club does what it claims.

Also, I should have specified, while I agree on some of the box set stuff, this was more directed toward the major OEM's and releases we see from them annually.

If we are adamant that something is wrong that to me would say it's bad. The clubs I brought up were a nice package looks, design, tech and feel and as much I enjoyed hitting the EZ Forged I still stand by they were bad clubs.

Sure there is bad equipment. And some manufactures don't hit out the park every time. Of course someone will always like what another doesn't but that doesn't mean it's not bad.

Some golfers have no clue what is good and what is bad. They like what they and have no clue why. It does what they want and that good enough for them. They could still be playing bad gear.

TBH I think by many my irons would be considered "bad" and as much as I like them not many seem to enjoy them.

I don't know that there is any bad equipment but some is better than others IMO. The cheaper (non-urethane) golf balls aren't exactly great in most respects. I say that semi-tongue in cheek though because I can't seem to lose the cheap stuff. Hand me a top tier ball and it might be gone on that first swing.

The above isn't always the case though and I understand that.

I think most cheap balls accomplish their goals pretty well. Nike Mojos might be an exception. Lol.

The Ping Answer driver sticks out as a '' bad'' driver. A few liked it but it didn't seem to work for the overwhelming majority.

I'm not convinced there's bad equipment, just different equipment for everyones tastes and one mans treasure is another mans trash.

I wouldn't say there's "bad" equipment, but there's certainly equipment that doesn't quite function as advertised for a lot of players...the line where it's enough players that the product/technology doesn't work for that trips a product into the "bad" category is vague, but I think there is equipment out there that gets close to that line. I think some of that might be on the player to know enough about their game to say, "This won't actually help my game." But OEMs manipulating expectations and making certain new equipment all things to all people doesn't help.

I think most cheap balls accomplish their goals pretty well. Nike Mojos might be an exception. Lol.

The Ping Answer driver sticks out as a '' bad'' driver. A few liked it but it didn't seem to work for the overwhelming majority.

Yet for what it was designed to do, it did very well CG and spin wise, had a nice convo about this one with a non ping club designer about it, it was enlightening the respect they gave it. Now, the QC issues are a different story.

Yet for what it was designed to do, it did very well CG and spin wise, had a nice convo about this one with a non ping club designer about it, it was enlightening the respect they gave it. Now, the QC issues are a different story.

But it seems like there were alot of low spin drivers that worked for quite a few more people. Not a total failure, but certainly didn't seem to be a winner either.

The OG covert is a driver that seemed to win very few people over also, despite looking badass.

But it seems like there were alot of low spin drivers that worked for quite a few more people. Not a total failure, but certainly didn't seem to be a winner either.

The OG covert is a driver that seemed to win very few people over also, despite looking badass.

Yah I don't know what they changed but the 2.0 is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But they were aimed at low spin players, so in that regard wouldn't they not be bad? They just weren't aimed where the majority of amateurs sit as far as needs go.

Yah I don't know what they changed but the 2.0 is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, seems to be much better received

Yep, seems to be much better received

Perhaps because it's aimed at a broader segment with a little more spin and forgiveness?

Perhaps because it's aimed at a broader segment with a little more spin and forgiveness?

And sounds much better I presume.

All I'm saying is if a club is no Bueno for the vast majority then it might be a bad club. I get what you are saying on the Answer, which would certainly apply to the covert tour. But the Covert was heavily marketed to the masses, and didn't perform for them it seemed.

And sounds much better I presume.

All I'm saying is if a club is no Bueno for the vast majority then it might be a bad club. I get what you are saying on the Answer, which would certainly apply to the covert tour. But the Covert was heavily marketed to the masses, and didn't perform for them it seemed.

I could apply it to all kinds of clubs (SLDR?), conversation is why I started this thread. There seems to be some who think every piece of gear must be judged good or bad, my point is that if a club is aimed at a smaller margin, and serves that margin well, then why must it be a bad club when it does the job it was designed for?

Every single OEM release we see out there fits someone and it is best for someone, every one.

No bad equipment in my opinion, maybe get a defective one, but it seems all OEMs would correct that anyways.

Back