Beginner From the Suburbs of Philly

Hello everyone. I'm just starting to add golf to my list of hobbies so I'm completely new to this. I have got myself a set of used clubs and been hitting at the driving range. Also taking a few lessons to learn the basic biomechanics of my swing in hopes that I don't gain any bad habits from the get go. I hope to learn a lot from you.

By the way, one quick question- how would you guys determine when you're ready to play at a course when you are new to golf? A friend of mine says I'm ready now but I have no consistency yet and I really don't want to hold up golf groups behind me. Any tips you guys?

Cheers

Your ready to play on the course. Buy a whole bunch of balls you don't mind losing, look for the cheapest available(used works) and plan on losing them. I would suggest playing with people you know for at least the first few rounds and don't keep score. If the course is crowded I would tee off and if you hit a real bad shot like into the woods, water, or somewhere else that it will be hard to find just leave it and drop a ball next to the person your playing with and play from there. If you find yourself getting frustrated or approaching triple bogey before reaching the green just pick up and drop a ball on the green and putt out or next to the green and try to chip and putt. There is no sense punishing yourself out there.

Welcome to THP!

Excellent! I have a friend that plays but that's about it. I would love to meet new people.

Also the play lesson sounds great but I'm guessing a bit out of my budget this year considering all the equipment I had to buy, standard lessons with my PGA instructor, and my future rounds of golf/driving range I'm doing. I hear fall time is excellent for golf :act-up:.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome to THP! I'm not too far away; on the Main Line in the Ardmore/Wynnewood/Narberth area. There's a bunch of us in the Central NJ/Phila area that get together, so feel free to join in! A playing lesson is always a good way to start out, as you'll learn right away the proper way to approach the game. But as others have said, don't feel you need to be a certain skill level to get out there; just get out there and maintain a good pace of play. If you can get out during the week when the courses are less crowded, that would be good to spend more time playing without feeling rushed. It's a great place here and you'll learn a lot.

Welcome to THP!

Doylestown/Montgomery County area

I live in Doylestown, come join us Saturday for a round. If you are moving slow, just pick up and move along. No one cares how you play as long as you are moving along.

Welcome to THP!

The only way to know is to get out and play! Play the short tees it will make things more enjoyable if you don't have an executive or par3/4 course nearby.

Welcome to THP !

I live in Doylestown, come join us Saturday for a round. If you are moving slow, just pick up and move along. No one cares how you play as long as you are moving along.

Thanks for the invite! I will eventually take you up on that offer. Right now my lessons are on Saturday's but when I'm done and have had a few rounds with my mate, it will be great to meet you and other locals.

I can't believe how great of a welcoming I am getting here. I am a part of a few other forums with my other hobbies and have never experienced this type of a greeting. You all are great and are making a beginner feel at home. Thanks!

Welcome to THP

Thanks for the invite! I will eventually take you up on that offer. Right now my lessons are on Saturday's but when I'm done and have had a few rounds with my mate, it will be great to meet you and other locals.

I can't believe how great of a welcoming I am getting here. I am a part of a few other forums with my other hobbies and have never experienced this type of a greeting. You all are great and are making a beginner feel at home. Thanks!

Skip the lesson this weekend. We have 10 other THP'ers getting together to play a beautiful course. Would love to meet you.

I honestly think if you can reschedule your lesson, you should. Nothing is as fun as playing with THPers and nothing fuels your game like the next event you're playing.

TTing

Skip the lesson this weekend. We have 10 other THP'ers getting together to play a beautiful course. Would love to meet you.

That sounds excellent. I will have to see if I can reschedule my lesson. Could you provide a link for information on Saturday? When, where, etc?

Welcome to THP!!

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP!

:welcome:

Welcome to THP! Glad you joined us. I would say go out on a course now and give yourself a stroke limit for each hole (triple bogey maybe).

Welcome to THP! Head on out to the course and go with some buddies that can help you learn some of the rules and etiquette of the game. I would not worry about holding people up just go and have fun!

After all the comments I am definitely not worried anymore. I can't wait to play with some fellow THP'ers. Just finished practicing at the range and saw a dramatic improvement in my swing after some tweaking! Just need to build up some consistency. I have to say, I am getting addicted rather quickly. I got the blister on my hand to prove it haha.

Last edited:
Back