Beginner From the Suburbs of Philly

JTrix

Reaction score
Handicap
Bacon
Hello everyone. I'm just starting to add golf to my list of hobbies so I'm completely new to this. I have got myself a set of used clubs and been hitting at the driving range. Also taking a few lessons to learn the basic biomechanics of my swing in hopes that I don't gain any bad habits from the get go. I hope to learn a lot from you.

By the way, one quick question- how would you guys determine when you're ready to play at a course when you are new to golf? A friend of mine says I'm ready now but I have no consistency yet and I really don't want to hold up golf groups behind me. Any tips you guys?

Cheers

Welcome to THP, JTrix!!!

To answer your questions: I have been playing for over 25 years and I am still not ready to play on a course, but I do it anyway. Go have fun and learn the game is what I say.

I would say for your first few rounds dont even keep score, it will only frustrate you and might lead you give up. Just try and make as good shots as you can and enjoy the round. Dont be afriad to get out there everyones starts somewhere. If you are on stroke 10 on a hole just pick up and move on the next one to not hold up the groups behind hence the not keeping score. You really just want to get a feal for the stratagy involved in getting around the holes. But most importantly have fun its like you said a hobby and Welcome to the forum!!

Welcome to THP.
Determining when you are ready comes with confidence. Are you ready to hit the course and be golfing in front of others?
One suggestion that is never bad is checking out Executive courses and/or Par 3 courses. It will give you the ability to play golf rather than hit balls, and take full swings, without the need for doing it at any huge distance.

Another option and one we did with GolferGal was taking a playing lesson. She took a lesson with her teaching professional and they played 9 holes and worked on things on the course. It was a great way to get her ready for golfing.

Welcome to THP. I would agree with JB and suggest a par 3 course or a playing lesson

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP! Glad you found us!

I'll echo others, for me its all about when you are comfortable and confident to go for it. The par 3 course is a great idea as well.

Welcome to THP! I like the playing lesson idea. And the not keeping score idea.

Welcome from Central NJ - looking forward to teeing it up with you!

Welcome from not too far away in Southern NJ.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to THP!

Best way to tell if you are ready? Get out and play! Get on the course, tee it up, and have a great time!

Welcome to THP!

I think JB had some great advice. Can't wait to follow along in your journey to the course.

Welcome to the team!

Welcome to THP.

JB's idea of a playing lesson is a good one. Just remember if you do go that route, you're not out there to try to impress the pro. He knows you're a beginner and are going to hit bad shots, and besides, you're paying him to be patient. Just make your normal swing.

If you don't go the playing lesson route, the mspmike's advice is good too. The first few times, don't bother keeping score. After you've hit 5 or 6 times, just pick up and move on to the next hole.

Welcome to THP! As far as when you're ready to hit the course, I say if you want to, go for it. You don't have to be great, but you don't need to hold up play. My buddies and I have a saying: "We may suck, but at least we suck quickly!" In other words, play ready golf. One or two practice swings at most. Be ready to hit your shot when it's your turn. If you miss the green, take your putter along with your wedge so you don't have to go back to the cart. Start eyeing your putt while others are putting. It's all just common sense, yet it's shockingly uncommon on the golf course.

Welcome to THP! Great suggestions from everybody. Just remember, everyone was a beginner once upon a time. Learn golf etiquette, play ready golf and most of all HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips everyone. I was not expecting such an active, "open-arms" community.

Welcome to THP!

For your first time out, if you plan on going to a regular length course, is to skip doing it on the weekend. Instead choose an evening when there are less people to make it easier on your nerves.

I agree with those who say to go to a Par 3 or Executive course first though. My wife played on one for about six rounds or so before she told me she was ready to play at a regular course. She knew when she was ready, and we haven't been back to the shorter course since.

Welcome! ENJOY the site and golf! That's what we're here for! We all love both

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips everyone. I was not expecting such an active, "open-arms" community.
THP is unlike any other, an incredible community that only gets bigger and better.

Welcome to THP! Some great advice in here. I think you would learn a lot from a playing lesson and it would be a nice smooth transition to the course.

Welcome to Paradise!

Back