Best College Football Player Ever

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Really the question came up since 1980, but it was an interesting question they had a debate about today. Here were my finalists, which all made their top 10.

Tim Tebow
Deion Sanders
Bo Jackson
Herschal Walker
Charles Woodson

Honorable Mention to Mike Vick, Calvin Johnson, Charlie Ward, Derrick Thomas.

The panel was made up of 12 college football superstars from 5 different conferences. They came to the conclusion that it was Deion Sanders, with Herschal as runner up and Tebow was 3rd. What are your thoughts?

Bo Jackson without a doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before reading the results. In my mind I thought Herschel. He just did things that had never been done before. I realize it was post 1980, but Archie Griffin should be considered. Of course that opens a lot more candidates.

Bo Jackson without a doubt.

he was my first instinct before Herschel. I need to go look up their stats. Could be very intersting.

• Admin
Before reading the results. In my mind I thought Herschel. He just did things that had never been done before. I realize it was post 1980, but Archie Griffin should be considered. Of course that opens a lot more candidates.

If you include prior years, it brings in Archie without a doubt, along with so many others including Butkus.

My mind immediately jumped to Bo, but Woodson is very interesting. He had such an impact on all facets of the game...

Fun debate!

Tebow, Sanders, and Walker are the 3 I'd be choosing between. I'm not sure I'd throw Charlie Ward that high(not saying he wasn't a really good player). I'd have to think OJ, Marcus Allen, and Barry Sanders would be up for discussion too. Honorable mention for me, Roger Staubach(yup Cowboy homer).

I think I would say Walker is the tops.

EDIT: I missed that it was since 1980. So my add-ins don't all apply.

• Admin
Tebow, Sanders, and Walker are the 3 I'd be choosing between. I'm not sure I'd throw Charlie Ward that high(not saying he wasn't a really good player). I'd have to think OJ, Marcus Allen, and Barry Sanders would be up for discussion too. Honorable mention for me, Roger Staubach(yup Cowboy homer).

I think I would say Walker is the tops.

A few of those are pre-1980.
I think most said Barry would be the GOAT had it been a full time there.

Barry Sanders wasn't mentioned?

I would go with Barry Sanders and Herschel.

Bo knows

No Ron Dayne? Hehe

For me, it's Tebow.

Second place to Orlando pace.

Barry Sanders wasn't mentioned?

I would go with Barry Sanders and Herschel.

Of course he was mentioned. But his college career was not the same as his pro career. He had one amazing dominating year, 1 very average year and one part time year. Hard to be the best ever with that, despite having a record setting single year in 1988 before turning pro.

People forget they had Thomas in front of him early on.

he was my first instinct before Herschel. I need to go look up their stats. Could be very intersting.

Nah.... It's Herschel.

Bo for sure is my number one witch Herschel a close second.

Tebow, Woodson, Raghib Ishamil would get votes.

Hershel Walker. Hands down #1 in my book.
Bo Jackson is a close #2.
Tebow (as I throw up a little in my mouth).
Vinny Testeverde had a pretty good college career, not on the list.
Deion Sanders, Charlie Ward, Michael Vick and Derrick Thomas.
Brian Bosworth made quite a name for himself in college, which did not carry over into the pros.
I have always thought that Charles Woodson was a bit overrated, but I think that is just me, and I am sure that others will argue that I am insane.

1. Walker
2. Tebow
3. Griffin

I have to go with the big dawg Herschal Walker because I actually watched every game he played. It was amazing stuff!

I honestly think Bo and Walker are 1a and 1b.

I'm about to be called a Homer, but oh well. I know it's a career awards and he only played one season. But I think Cam should be in the discussion. He played in a similar system and Tebow I the same Era, but was a better Passer and runner. I wouldn't pick him as tops, but I would think he is in conversation.

Also would think Jameis would be mentioned. But his picks his second year probably stop that.

1. Joe Montana
2. Tim Brown
3. Joe Theisman
4. Johnny Lujack
5. Johnny Latner
6. Blair Keihl
7. Jerome Bettis
8. Brady Quinn
9. Rusty Lisch
10. Rocky Bleier

I say Bo with Herschel a very close second and both head and shoulders above any of the other "contenders"

It's funny to me that the only QB mentioned is one that shouldn't be allow to watch football much less play football. That is just personal bias but whatever.

I think Herschel and Bo are very solid choices. I would also counter with some consideration for Reggie Bush, Clowney, and maybe even Ed Reed. All in BCS era top 10 lists.

I'd go bo, then walker then tebow

It's funny to me that the only QB mentioned is one that shouldn't be allow to watch football much less play football. That is just personal bias but whatever.

I think Herschel and Bo are very solid choices. I would also counter with some consideration for Reggie Bush, Clowney, and maybe even Ed Reed. All in BCS era top 10 lists.
Tebow? I'm no fan, but to think he isn't one of the best is nuts.

Back