Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

ALRIGHT!

I finally got to take this driver out for some on course testing, and as much as I was impressed from just range time, this thing has blown me away again. I play my course, and the same 6 hole loop when I am tight for time, numerous times per week. I must say I was learning a completely different game out there. I had shorter clubs into every hole, including the 560 yd par 5 of which I was pin high in 2. I also hit more fairways than I have for a long time. This thing is the absolute real deal. Its super easy to keep on plane--thanks to the weighting--and I seriously think this translates into your other clubs as well. I hit every club in my bag so well today and I attribute it all to the HD. I have never felt like I could overpower a golf course until today, which is truly saying something.

I shot a 38 for my 9 holes. I made some poor choices from yardages I was previously uncomfortable from. But it was a very sneaky round. I was just hummin along, par, par, par, bogey(par 3), par. I had a double on the other par 3. It made the game so easy and any fairway I missed(2 of them) was a tight miss. All were less than 3 yards. But with the accuracy of this thing, you dont only hit fairways, you hit the right spots in the fairway to give yourself some pretty fresh looks at birdies. I see maybe 10 yds loss off the heel and 20 off of the toe. That vs 20/heel and 40/toe with the R11. I can almost guarantee that with the right stiffness and degree combo-it will outperform any driver on the market, period.

This thing is CRAZY long, and CRAZY straight. Snap Hook can testify, as he shot -1 earlier, and Degoins freshly broke 80 too. I am positive that this driver contributed to such feats and I look forward to everyones accomplishments..

If this is not on your shortlist due to the brand name or whatever, it should be. Youre seriously doing yourself a disservice by looking past it. Give it a true chance and get fitted.

I am still madly inlove with the sound and feel. Its just so solid. Something I havent felt since the old Titleist 983k or 905R or R9 fairway woods. It sometimes sounds like an MLBer cracking a home run. The ball does not curve very much off of the face, so any of my misses have been flat pushes or flat pulls with minor english either way. Its going to take more than a laser guided fairway shotgun to remove this from my cold dead hands because with the sound it makes, paired with the feel, and confidence boosting accuracy, this thing is just flatout fun to hit. Go ahead, step up onto the teebox and swing your heart out. This thing will not let me miss a fairway by much. I would be scared to see belbsy or biggsy hit it. Theyd be locks for Morgan Cup sweeps with this in their hands.

Did I mention how much I love this driver? I want+want+want a white one so badly. Sure the headcover sucks, but Ill take the good with the bad for this big stick any day of the week.

Great update Thainer. The more I hear you guys rave about this driver the more I really want to hit it. I'm stoked that its working this well for you, as I've seen you drive the ball and its long.

Great review, Thainer. Went to 3 different shops in Austin yesterday looking for this driver with no luck. Going to San Antonio this week maybe I can find one there to try.

Thanks guys. It really is a sneaky bomber and drives just seem to go for miles. Super straight too.

Roliver, try looking around on their website, maybe contact CS for the nearest location to you?

Just an FYI: there's a picture of the white version up on the Boccieri site...looks nice.

Also, what's the stock grip in the driver? That's the one spec I couldn't find.

Just an FYI: there's a picture of the white version up on the Boccieri site...looks nice.

Also, what's the stock grip in the driver? That's the one spec I couldn't find.

There is a white Boccieri thread. With some gorgeous pictures in it!!

The stock grip appears to be a modified tour velvet.

Nice write up Junior. I won't lie. I'm super intrigued. To the point I might seriously ponder.

Nice write up Junior. I won't lie. I'm super intrigued. To the point I might seriously ponder.

I dont know if they make lefty, if they did I would be almost done pondering.

I dont know if they make lefty, if they did I would be almost done pondering.

I'm sure they don't make a lefty. That would be par for the course.

I went to Golftec and got a free 30 min lesson (thanks Oregon Golfer for posting that) and it was extremely informative. One thing they told me was that I was letting my arms separate from my body too much and I needed to keep the club more upright. So I went to the range yesterday morning to work on this and to continue my testing with the Heavy Driver. These swing changes feel very awkward but I could see that he was totally right. One thing is it has messed up my timing and I am seeing more slices with all of my clubs. I know it is a matter of time and effort to make these changes work. So my range session wasn't the most informative about how the HD was performing. That being said, this driver was trying to fight the slice more than some of my irons were. I will be getting out again soon this week and will update some more on the progress. I am still such a fan! And I LOVE the way the white Heavy Driver looks!

I've been gone the last few days, had major golf jitters. Unfortunately, the golf withdrawal continues this week, since I'm leaving again tomorrow early, and won't be back until Tuesday late. Since I can't test the HD while out and about due to my schedule, I decided this would be a fine opportunity to test the ease of swing memory with this club. It took me about 14-21 days to adjust to this Driver to the point of gaming it exclusively. By the time I get back out to golf this week on Wednesday, I will not have swung a golf club for 7 days. So I will report back on whether I was able to jump in and swing this driver just like I was last week.

Also, loving the others comments on this driver from the other reviewers. Before any of us got the driver, it was said that it was a 'fairway finder.' That is a bold claim for any driver. Many drivers claim massive distance and whatnot, but how many claim they are a 'fairway finder.' Based on my own experience and the reviews of the others, it looks like this driver is living up to that claim.

~Rock

Just received this...pretty cool if you live in the New England area...at Golf Town locations for this week Mr. Boccieri will be in store to discuss the heavy series...also a free heavy fw with purchase of driver or 2 free heavy wedges with purchase of irons...hope this url copy works

http://dcm5.com/t?r=419&c=1645485&l...AA520D5F7C1B212DE3F1BD998EC0FD8C417B4232A781&

Anyone in the area I would jump on this! This is an amazing driver and the FW is awesome as well, and I love the irons too! Great opportunity that you won't regret!

Unfortunately, the problem with these clubs are that hardly anyone carry's them. And who buys something before they hit it anymore? I would love to hit this driver but no one around here has them.

Unfortunately, the problem with these clubs are that hardly anyone carry's them. And who buys something before they hit it anymore? I would love to hit this driver but no one around here has them.

It is going to take people like us talking to our local golf stores, big and small, and requesting they get this driver in.

I got out for an hour and was working on my swing changes and hitting the Heavy Driver. I am happy to report that I had a great day with my new changes. I was seeing a very consistent ball flight and it actually felt really good trying to make these changes permanent. It started out a bit rocky and I realized that I was standing too close to the ball and I just didn't have the space to finish my swing. Once I got it figured out with my wedges and irons, I went to my drivers with this new swing and it definitely translated. I feel like I am getting more SS and a more consistent swing path. I am not having to do the crazy recovery move in my transition that was causing so many issues. I hit both my R11 and Heavy D about a dozen times each and had really good results. I had one big pull with the R11 and one slice with the Heavy D, but other than that very consistently down the middle. I hit a couple of BOMBS with the HD. Like so far it made my jaw drop. This driver just continues to perform time and time again. I hope to be able to get out on the course soon so I can see it perform there. It is just so exciting to have a driver that I can feel confident in.

It is going to take people like us talking to our local golf stores, big and small, and requesting they get this driver in.

Agreed, I spoke to the manager at my local Edwin Watts about Boccieri line of clubs. While they do have a few wedges in stock, he said they did not carry the full line due to the lack of demand.

After a brief hiatus from round recaps, I'm playing an evening 9. Carded a par on #1. This is a Boccieri-only 9 holes.

I plan on taking my Heavy Driver back to the range this weekend to try to find my groove swing again. I was killing it on the range the last few weeks, but that swing never could be found on course. I'm hoping a smaller backswing thought will bring back my consistency. Will keep you guys updated.

Well, I played nine holes, as I said, and ended up shooting a 37. I had 6 pars, 2 bogeys, and a birdie. The Heavy Driver was treating me well. I struggled to find the fairway on a few holes but my drives were long enough to make up for it. I was hitting it straight but just kept aiming it in some dumb places. Still, I scrambled and ended up playing a really solid round. I'll recap it and post a few pictures in a bit.

Also, the ever-so-awesome Mr. Boccieri shipped me a Heavy Putter today. It should be here in a few days. How great is this guy??

I had a fantastic round on monday with the HD at Liberty National. It put me into some great positions to make birdies, of which I converted a couple of them. I had some 300+ drives with the HD and only missed 2 fairways. This thing is awesome. I truly feel by playing this driver, it makes me a better golfer. Everyone has good rounds and bad rounds, but every round always seems to be a good ball-striking round. I attribute this directly to the HD. Its made all of my club swings better.

I honestly think the HD gives you all of the benefits of something similar of the Taylormade Speed Sleeve. It keeps you on plane and help keeps the unnecessary movements out of the golf swing. You get to use it on almost every hole on the golf course and it helps improve your plane, speed and promotes consistent contact. Its a constant reminder of the good feelings in a golf swing. This driver is a benefit to any golfer who decides to swing it, and I think that this driver shines even more in an industry that is trying to go "faster, lighter". I truly hope everyone gets the chance to have a range session with it because it will make you a better golfer!

There is only one thing that I wish was different, I wish it was an inch longer. My miss is thin, and an inch or even 3/4" would do me well. But I dont want to sacrifice my results right now.

I had a fantastic round on monday with the HD at Liberty National. It put me into some great positions to make birdies, of which I converted a couple of them. I had some 300+ drives with the HD and only missed 2 fairways. This thing is awesome. I truly feel by playing this driver, it makes me a better golfer. Everyone has good rounds and bad rounds, but every round always seems to be a good ball-striking round. I attribute this directly to the HD. Its made all of my club swings better.

I honestly think the HD gives you all of the benefits of something similar of the Taylormade Speed Sleeve. It keeps you on plane and help keeps the unnecessary movements out of the golf swing. You get to use it on almost every hole on the golf course and it helps improve your plane, speed and promotes consistent contact. Its a constant reminder of the good feelings in a golf swing. This driver is a benefit to any golfer who decides to swing it, and I think that this driver shines even more in an industry that is trying to go "faster, lighter". I truly hope everyone gets the chance to have a range session with it because it will make you a better golfer!

There is only one thing that I wish was different, I wish it was an inch longer. My miss is thin, and an inch or even 3/4" would do me well. But I dont want to sacrifice my results right now.

Great stuff Thainer.

You guys have really got me wanting to try out SOMETHING from the Heavy line between this and the hybrids. Good stuff.

The irons are the same story Jman, Mr. Boccieris entire line is unbelievable.
Great stuff Thainer.

You guys have really got me wanting to try out SOMETHING from the Heavy line between this and the hybrids. Good stuff.

the same time, I'm building great confidence in the Heavy Driver in a pretty short period of time.

I'm really finding out that the Heavy Driver is for real. I see it as a great working class club. No flash, no fancy graphics just a great little driver. I like that idea a lot. You don't need any of that fancy stuff. The ball has no idea, nor does it care.

Great reviews on this driver. But do working class and $399 (cost of the driver) go together? lol Browsing prices on drivers they are defintely at the top of the pricing chart for off the rack drivers currently on the market.

Back