Brand Talk - Wilson Staff

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Love it that Wilson is once again in the forefront of serious golfers minds. Wilson made my first ever golf clubs and I will always have a soft spot in my heart for them.

This was a good watch. I think the correct intent is there but something has still gotta change although I'm unsure what it is. I viewed Cobra in a similar light until 3 years ago with the AMP cell line and where they've grown since then.

I think the D200 line still lacks in the looks department so I personally just don't have that urge to try it out.

• Admin
This was a good watch. I think the correct intent is there but something has still gotta change although I'm unsure what it is. I viewed Cobra in a similar light until 3 years ago with the AMP cell line and where they've grown since then.

I think the D200 line still lacks in the looks department so I personally just don't have that urge to try it out.

Interesting thoughts here.
The bigger question is, did the Cobra brand grow? The answer might surprise you.
Wilson has done very well with golf balls, but the club line needs to continue to improve. I love where they are headed and saw first hand at #PersonalDistance THP Event how open minded the THPers were about their gear.

Definitely a fan of Wilson and the THP event last year was truly eye opening. A little something for everyone and as Michael says they continue to grow their "stable" of golfers on tour as well.

Really cool video and gives me flash backs of sitting there taking in all the awesome I formation Mike gave us at #PersonalDistance. Really exciting for the brand and even more exciting for us as consumers

Passion was my take.
I believe Wilson Staff will be making huge leaps in 2015 and I am excited to give their lineup a go this year.
Great watch.

I think image is something that Wilson struggles with.
In general I think people think of Wilson as "Box Set" from Walmart clubs.
I hope people give Wilson a try, I hit the D200 irons last weekend and was pleasantly surprised.

Gaining traction in the market I think would be helped by a perception change by the golfing public.

This may be a discussion for another thread, but imo there were two things to save Cobra and that's Rickie Fowler and Puma. The flashy brand is now hand in hand with cobra and Rickie has made Cobra a style now.

I personally asked Tim Clarke about Wilson's approach to getting back towards the top in gold equipment. For example, why pride yourself on irons when people (normal people lol not THPers) only change irons every 5 years or so and not focus on marketing new flashy drivers where people are more prone to buying new every year or two. His answer was simple and solid. "We are an iron company. That's how we started and that's what we want to be". And I loved that answer. But it just showed that they are willing to continue to make strides at the pace they are without getting away from their roots.

Brand Talk - Wilson Staff

I can honestly say it was due to Following the Personal Distance event last year that I paid attention to Wilson's 2015 line.

If I hadn't seen and heard all the great comments from the attendees, I might have had my same old impression. That they weren't relevant to today's golfer.

Boy that was wrong. The D200 line is aimed right at the average player.

Sure a bit more tour presence will definitely help as well.

And more Guy Johnson would be a good thing....Seriously!!

I think image is something that Wilson struggles with.
In general I think people think of Wilson as "Box Set" from Walmart clubs.
I hope people give Wilson a try, I hit the D200 irons last weekend and was pleasantly surprised.

Gaining traction in the market I think would be helped by a perception change by the golfing public.

I think the image is improving. But the perception of the brand is going to be a hard one to shake. Without the trip to WS HQ, there's probably no way I have WS clubs and balls in my bag. Hate to say it but it's the truth. Sometimes you just have to see it to really understand how great it is. I think they're headed in the right direction as far as general perception and the success on tour early in the season will help that.

nice piece. never really considered wilson for irons or woods until following the #PersonalDistance event. The look of the FG tour irons is nice but way out of my league. The other lines haven't really caught my eye from a look perspective yet.

Looking forward to watching what happens with this brand since i have a friend whose dad was a Wilson staff member on tour back in the day.

Phil,
Did anyone ask, if they are an iron company and that's what they want to be, then why spend the dollars in R&D, Product, marketing dollars, etc in the metal woods category?

It seems if they want to be an iron company, every effort on a company resource should be focused on accomplishing just that.

Phil,
Did anyone ask, if they are an iron company and that's what they want to be, then why spend the dollars in R&D, Product, marketing dollars, etc in the metal woods category?

It seems if they want to be an iron company, every effort on a company resource should be focused on accomplishing just that.

I'm not sure if that exact question was asked but they speak of the entire D200 line as a whole. Not just metal woods or irons. Just a very flexible line for a large majority of golfers.

Now the marketing of the D200 driver is understandable. It's the lightest adjustable driver ever. That's something you would want to market

One thing to add, Michael Vrska is huge part of the improvement of the equipment. If you have gamed or still game Adams irons or hybrids up until about 2012, they were developed by Vrska.

Good thoughts in here Phil, thanks for sharing. And my previous comment is 100% in line with your opinion before you went to #PersonalDistance, it was through your guys great updates that I came away with a much different and improved impression. Now getting that change of opinion out to the masses (not just THP) will be an interesting challenge for Wilson.

I think they will definitely have to get better distribution in the major retailers, and committing to some sort of demo day program like Bridgestone is doing with the B Fit demos would be huge as well....Yeah, I'm great at spending other peoples money :)

Dean does such a great job with these interviews. I remember growing up with Wilson sporting goods. My first leather basketball was from wilson, my first tennis racket and my first baseball glove. I don't have these memories in regards to golfclubs. I did play wilson golf balls early on but never the clubs.

I was a staff pro when at the Biltmore and really tried to get people to try their Fatshafts. I loved those irons. Sadly people wanted the big 3 and some up and coming brands like Yonex before Wilson. I hope the mind set of the average golfer changes or I fear Wilson will be the best brand not make the mark the want.

You could easily tell in that video that Michael is truly excited about where Wilson is heading. The key, though, is how to get the average golfer to be excited to play their product. I think their irons, for instance, going back to the D11, would suit average golfers extremely well, and the reviews on THP would bear that out. (That thread is actually how I found THP and became hooked). But, there is still a little something missing, IMO, I'm pulling for them. Wilson is a great company and have been good to THP.

Interesting thoughts here.
The bigger question is, did the Cobra brand grow? The answer might surprise you.
Wilson has done very well with golf balls, but the club line needs to continue to improve. I love where they are headed and saw first hand at #PersonalDistance THP Event how open minded the THPers were about their gear.

The Wilson balls have done well and that is an area where I will be purchasing product this year (new Duo Spin).

I have no idea if the Cobra brand grew from a sales perspective but I know from THP'er feedback, the line of clubs have continually improved and the feedback here has personally made me purchase and try product. Until something with Wilson changes, I just don't see them talked about to the extent that I'm gonna try them.

You could easily tell in that video that Michael is truly excited about where Wilson is heading. The key, though, is how to get the average golfer to be excited to play their product. I think their irons, for instance, going back to the D11, would suit average golfers extremely well, and the reviews on THP would bear that out. (That thread is actually how I found THP and became hooked). But, there is still a little something missing, IMO, I'm pulling for them. Wilson is a great company and have been good to THP.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I bought the Di11s based on that epic thread, and that's when I started posting here a few years back. I really enjoyed them and definitely hit the ball better, the only reason I moved on was because I found irons that fit my swing better. They were a fantastic value, and still are for slightly older irons.

I'll say the same thing I've said in multiple threads on W/S - distribution. Can't find them at Dicks up here, and both the Golfsmith and Golfers Warehouse near me only have a few iron sets on clearance. No drivers, no hybrids. If W/S can get their gear in front of more people, I think the visual appeal and pricepoints will gain them a lot of new customers.

Michaels enthusiasm alone makes me want to try the 2015 line from Wilson. Great job again by my buddy Dean.

This may be a discussion for another thread, but imo there were two things to save Cobra and that's Rickie Fowler and Puma. The flashy brand is now hand in hand with cobra and Rickie has made Cobra a style now.

I personally asked Tim Clarke about Wilson's approach to getting back towards the top in gold equipment. For example, why pride yourself on irons when people (normal people lol not THPers) only change irons every 5 years or so and not focus on marketing new flashy drivers where people are more prone to buying new every year or two. His answer was simple and solid. "We are an iron company. That's how we started and that's what we want to be". And I loved that answer. But it just showed that they are willing to continue to make strides at the pace they are without getting away from their roots.

Without a doubt there is a correlation with Puma, Ricky, etc. Cobra found something and are taking advantage of it.

What has Wilson found? Paddy, Streelman, Ricky? They just don't move the needle. While the #seriously stuff was funny for awhile, it ran it's course and I'm unsure if it really helped their cause.

Without a doubt there is a correlation with Puma, Ricky, etc. Cobra found something and are taking advantage of it.

What has Wilson found? Paddy, Streelman, Ricky? They just don't move the needle. While the #seriously stuff was funny for awhile, it ran it's course and I'm unsure if it really helped their cause.

We also asked why not go after the big name on tour. They were "close" but couldn't get the W/S logo enough exposure. They feel more comfortable spreading the funds around to up and comers to expand the brand instead of putting all their eggs in one basket. Risky imo but could pay off if guys like Merritt and Steele and Streelman catch fire

The Wilson balls have done well and that is an area where I will be purchasing product this year (new Duo Spin).

I have no idea if the Cobra brand grew from a sales perspective but I know from THP'er feedback, the line of clubs have continually improved and the feedback here has personally made me purchase and try product. Until something with Wilson changes, I just don't see them talked about to the extent that I'm gonna try them.

Have to admit I am genuinely curious about this. So for you it is about tour validation and tour players you connect with? I truly get that and think more feel that way. Although their staff has more wins than Rickie (by a huge mile), nobody would think they move the needle more.

I thought the way THPers were raving about the different parts of their line got me excited (so much so that I was playing the D200 irons). Completely understand the tour thing, just not sure I understand the THPer thing, as so much of the feedback has been positive on the new line.

Dean does such a great job with these interviews. I remember growing up with Wilson sporting goods. My first leather basketball was from wilson, my first tennis racket and my first baseball glove. I don't have these memories in regards to golfclubs. I did play wilson golf balls early on but never the clubs.

I was a staff pro when at the Biltmore and really tried to get people to try their Fatshafts. I loved those irons. Sadly people wanted the big 3 and some up and coming brands like Yonex before Wilson. I hope the mind set of the average golfer changes or I fear Wilson will be the best brand not make the mark the want.
Like you Freddie, I grew up with Wilson footballs and basketballs all around the house. Same with baseball and softball gloves, it's all I owned. The Wilson T5000 was my first and only tennis racket.

I didn't try it's golf clubs until the Wilson Deep Red came out in about 2002 or so. I think it was 365CC one of the largest at the time. I played it for a couple years before moving on. I will try out the D200 driver along with a couple other new ones that are out this year, and go with which one gives me the best results. But it will get an honest look and trial.

Back