Bushnell Tour X Rangefinder Review Thread

I've wanted a rangefinder for sometime now. I downloaded the swing by swing app and I think for the price whether you use the free or paid version ($15 a year) its great for what it is. I think the rangefinder is still more versatile because you can use it on the course and practice range. Swing by swing by swing gives you wind, slope, score card, etc but its not perfect. The GPS can be slow, I have to carry the phone in my pocket and it eats up battery. The big downside to the rangefinder is the price and that is what keeps me from pulling the trigger. I want one of these bad!

I've wanted a rangefinder for sometime now. I downloaded the swing by swing app and I think for the price whether you use the free or paid version ($15 a year) its great the rangefinder is still more versatile. Swing by swing by swing gives you wind, slope, score card, etc but its not perfect. The GPS can be slow, I have to carry the phone in my pocket and it eats up battery. The big downside to the rangefinder is the price and that is what keeps me from pulling the trigger. I want one of these bad!

Price can be a bit of a hurdle that is for sure. But I've been thoroughly impressed so far. I've never had a range finder that I've been able to feel confident with till this one. And it didn't take long for me to realize this is head and shoulder above the ones I've tried and owned.

Price can be a bit of a hurdle that is for sure. But I've been thoroughly impressed so far. I've never had a range finder that I've been able to feel confident with till this one. And it didn't take long for me to realize this is head and shoulder above the ones I've tried and owned.
With the slope lense included, it's $100 more than other slope lasers. But the accuracy, speed, and simple ergonomics makes the extra cost stomachable.

I think most of us will use a range finder for 2-5 years, easily. I don't think the sticker shock should rule thus device out.

With the slope lense included, it's $100 more than other slope lasers. But the accuracy, speed, and simple ergonomics makes the extra cost stomachable.

I think most of us will use a range finder for 2-5 years, easily. I don't think the sticker shock should rule thus device out.

Good point Blu, I know I won't have the $400 driver that long....

Don't get me wrong, if I keep it for a few years, which I am sure I will it will pay for itself but that intial price shock is hard to swallow. No doubt this piece of equipment is great but unfortunately the money tree is not blooming this year :p

I had my Bushnell 1500 for 9yrs until it had trouble picking up flags over 140yds. I got my money's worth out of that one, I can't see this one being any different.

I had my Bushnell 1500 for 9yrs until it had trouble picking up flags over 140yds. I got my money's worth out of that one, I can't see this one being any different.

This is a good run, depending on the price that is either 33 or 44 or year for usage. Considering you can use it on anything you can point it on compared to GPS that is good!

This is a good run, depending on the price that is either 33 or 44 or year for usage. Considering you can use it on anything you can point it on compared to GPS that is good!

It was easily a 30 round a year investment. It lasted more than long enough for my liking. This is like going from a car from 2000 to a brand new car. They both do the same thing but the efficiency of this is a ton better.

It was easily a 30 round a year investment. It lasted more than long enough for my liking. This is like going from a car from 2000 to a brand new car. They both do the same thing but the efficiency of this is a ton better.

Definitely. The one thing about the rangefinder compared to the GPS is you can point at flagsticks on the RANGE which is invaluable. Otherwise it is usually a guessing game.

Catching up and everyone is bring some quality thoughts on this one. I've have the Tour V3 jolt and now I want this one.

Catching up and everyone is bring some quality thoughts on this one. I've have the Tour V3 jolt and now I want this one.

Yes....you can use it in CA too in a few weeks. Ha!!

I'm glad you boys in here are excited about this Tour X. It really is like driving a Mercedes around.

Hitting the course with BigTex on Friday and have a few ideas I want to try. Will let ya know!

The season around here is getting near the end. I couldn't wait any longer for a end of season sale on the Tour X and bought one last week. I did use the slope feature on two practice rounds that I never got to play all the holes. I was also wearing a GPS watch at the time but forgot to look at it to see what the differences were. My course is very hilly and I've usually under clubbed by 1 or 2 on a few holes and for some odd reason they came up short on the uphill shots. :) There is a par 3 that reads 208 yards on the gps from an elevated tee box. The Tour X had as playing 174 yards. I was a little surprised on the distance readings. I usually come up a little short of the green but I don't know if all the cars in the parking lot a few short yards behind the green side bunker might be playing into my shot.

I had no trouble locking in on a flag even the ones that were not blowing around. The distances measured were between 70 and 220 yards. Switching between the red and black text was no trouble at all and it is easily done. It was pretty dark out on the last hole so I was flipping back and forth between the two. It did take a little bit of time figuring out how to increase the intensity level. My only little complaint was sometimes the diopter adjustment would move on me after taking it out of the bag. I don't know if I was doing it taking it out of the cart bags front pocket or it was being jostled around on the bumpy terrain. A simple little scroll of the wheel and it was back in focus. This rangefinder was a little pricey and I was handling it like it was nitroglycerin. I removed everything else in that pocket (sharpies, markers, extra divot tool) and made damn sure I zippered it back up. The top front pocket on the cart bag is way too small to have the rangefinder in its protective case.

Good feedback.

Definitely. The one thing about the rangefinder compared to the GPS is you can point at flagsticks on the RANGE which is invaluable. Otherwise it is usually a guessing game.
That app you mentioned also has the practice facilities option for distances and does a very good job. However, I still use my V2 to confirm those distances. Guess what I'm saying is I also agree that a RF is the no guess option.

Can we discuss the 6x magnification? Really makes picking up the flag easy. Especially on second shots on par 5s. Combine that with the ergonomics, really makes lasering the flag or target easy.

Played on an unfamiliar course with a lot of elevation change today. I could not be happier with how the slope functionality works on the Tour X. On well struck balls, I had reasonable chances for one putts on all of them. If only really had a chance to use it on courses I knew - you really appreciate the functionality on courses you haven't seen before. There were a few times I took clubs that I definitely wouldn't have chosen otherwise.

One of the features I love is the ability to change from black to red. At first I thought this would be more of a "its neat and fun" kind of thing, but when playing early in the morning and the sun conditions and brightness outside changing quite a bit, its a fantastic option to have. Darker out or no sun, I am on the red setting. Bright out or facing the sun, I am using the black.

Just another feature that I think really speeds up the ability of the unit and player.

Great reviews everyone! Love this thread! I've never owned a rangefinder or GPS unit and a laser rangefinder is #1 on my list to get this off-season. Initially I was psyched when the Tour X came out because I figured the prices of the V3's would drop into the "awesome deal" range. But after reading all the posts (twice) - now I'm praying for a good Black Friday deal on the Tour X!

I really apreciate all the thought & insight that you guys have posted here. I know it will be a lot more $$ to get the Tour X, but unless someone gives me a V3 for free, I think I'd regret going the frugal route. I just know it would bother me every time I used it - knowing I could've gotten one that's faster, has slope, has red and black visuals, etc.

Normally im not one to second guess these kind of purchases, but as much as I'd use this on the course and for practice, and knowing that I want to be as fast as possible so I'm not ever making someone wait, it just feels like it's a no-brainer to get the Tour x.

One of the features I love is the ability to change from black to red. At first I thought this would be more of a "its neat and fun" kind of thing, but when playing early in the morning and the sun conditions and brightness outside changing quite a bit, its a fantastic option to have. Darker out or no sun, I am on the red setting. Bright out or facing the sun, I am using the black.

Just another feature that I think really speeds up the ability of the unit and player.

Really cool option, I can see how for somebody like me who has color blindness issues that would help a ton. Also if it's sunny/cloudy out. I still can't bite the bullet on the price tag but feels like they thought of almost everything wit this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really cool option, I can see how for somebody like me who has color blindness issues that would help a ton. Also if it's sunny/cloudy out. I still can't bite the bullet on the price tag but feels like they thought of almost everything wit this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the price tag is mostly a sticker shock issue. Break it down like Mward, and other have done in this thread and it's a much more tolerable. But I do understand, where that comes from.

I've avoided talking about this: For years I've avoided the laser based devices because of the frustration in using them because of my shaky hands, which for me is a medical conditions that will only get worse. When we were playing in the THPLegacy I had my laser with me, and it was very frustrating to get accurate distances. The worse time it was on the 10th hole from 125 yards to the pin. It felt like it took me 5 minutes and multiple attempts to "settle for a yardage" With this device I've yet to get to the point of frustration. The combination of the 6x magnification, and the speed in which it lacks onto a pin is pretty awesome. The biggest thing I attribute the ease of operation is the ergonomics that Blu and others have touched on. It's really a complete package. I've toyed around with it while playing just to see how far I can pick up a flag. So far I've picked up a flag with the jolt technology at 625 yds. Which was the flag on an adjacent hole. This thing is like the "Cadillac" of lasers. Lots of bells and whistles, but they all make sense and make this a really solid tool to carry for any golfer.

You're very right Kevin. This is the Cadillac of lasers. What I really like is that none of the features feel like fluff. Every bell and whistle has a purpose and is very useful

Coincidence that my 69 round on Friday came with my 2nd use of the Tour X?! I kid....but maybe I'm not?! It's a pretty good feeling knowing you are getting the most accurate information before each shot.

Another thing I started using the Tour X for is not even laser related. The 6x magnification is awesome! So clear and gets you so close to the objects you are viewing. There were some instances where I would use the rangefinder and could tell the undulations in the greens, esp. inside 150 yards. Really useful tool that helped narrow my focus on the course.

Last note, continue to love the vibrating pulse feedback. It is instant and confident. Love it.

Played with a few THPers this weekend, and I think the biggest hit with the device was the ergonomics. I think O'Carroll said that the thumb indentation is probably worth the price of admission alone. Again, like many things about the device, it's a really small thing that makes a tangible distance. Easier to hold = steadier hand, which allows for quicker operation. At this point, I've almost moved entirely away from using my phone/watch GPS and I'm back to shooting everything.

I'd be interested to see someone who takes issue with speed of operation with rangefinders give this one a shot. I think it would change some minds.

Played with a few THPers this weekend, and I think the biggest hit with the device was the ergonomics. I think O'Carroll said that the thumb indentation is probably worth the price of admission alone. Again, like many things about the device, it's a really small thing that makes a tangible distance. Easier to hold = steadier hand, which allows for quicker operation. At this point, I've almost moved entirely away from using my phone/watch GPS and I'm back to shooting everything.

I'd be interested to see someone who takes issue with speed of operation with rangefinders give this one a shot. I think it would change some minds.

Its something I never really thought much about, but I think he's right. It makes the entire device, just so easy on the hand.

Back