• Buy local, when possible.

Votes: 39 48.8%
  • Buy local, if cheaper.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Buy local, no matter what.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy online; no tax rocks!

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Buy online, only when unavailable locally.

Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters

Dance_Business

AARP Member :)
Reaction score
Handicap
Practice
I bought a C-130 bag yesterday at a local shop. Paid my sales tax & a premium price. I had never considered this bag, therefore had not researched it. I can get it shipped for FREE, with no tax, for $60.00 less. A savings of 30%! I own a local business & push for people to buy local & support our tax base. Can you see my conundrum?

Specifically to golf clubs, here's my opinion. By buying locally, you almost always get professional opinion from the golf shop people. You will also get fitted for free when buying from them. You can hold your club in the hands and swing it and take it out to the range and sometimes the course before buying. If you end up not liking it, you can take it back. As you said, you support the local economy and give the pro shop guys something to do. One day I walked into the shop and I was the only one there. I stayed for 3 hours and hit every club I could imagine. They even gave me a free wedge that I liked just for hanging and talking golf with them. The only time I would buy online is if I could not find it in any store (Bettinardi for example). And at my pro shop it is guaranteed that they will have the lowest price.

Yeah.. you're afraid of feeling like a hypocrite. I always try to be local but sometimes that isn't possible. For example, say I wanted to buy Bridgestone clubs. I'd have no choice but buy from a retailer on line as there is no place that sells them. Sometimes it can't be avoided and for some a savings of $60 places a bit of food on the table.

Alex

I always try to support local when it makes sense. I expect to pay a little extra and am grateful for their presence in our community. I will however look online for bigger purchases and buy accordingly.

I buy online almost entirely when it comes to golf stuff. It's cheaper, and frankly, the best CS I have ever dealt with have been Zappos, Amazon, and Blind9.

I buy from both but will buy local if I use the expertise of local staff or use their displayed inventory to make my decision. There's nothing worse than using a local store's inventory, staff, and overhead only to walk and buy via internet. I also can't believe the powers that be are allowing millions or billions of tax revenue to vanish on the internet.

Most of my high dollar purchases are online because of the cheaper price and no tax.

I purchase a lot of stuff on sale at local stores.

I buy 99.9% of my golf stuff from my home course. I get good discounts for being a member and the PGA Pro/Owner is a close personal friend. I would much rather give my money to my home course, who needs the support, than to some online guy that I don't know and who could care less about me.

We are sort of at a crossroads in Indiana right now with online sales. Amazon has a huge warehouse here that employs hundreds of people, yet they charge no state sales tax. Our governor gave them this special deal to locate here, but they're time is running out till they have to start charging the tax. They are saying they will leave the state. I say, adios! Time to have a level playing field again with the little guys.

I buy from both but will buy local if I use the expertise of local staff or use their displayed inventory to make my decision. There's nothing worse than using a local store's inventory, staff, and overhead only to walk and buy via internet. I also can't believe the powers that be are allowing millions or billions of tax revenue to vanish on the internet.

Idrops, you hit the nail on the head. I own my own business & HATE it when someone comes in and uses my services to be fitted & then goes online to save $10bucks! I already sell well below retail. That being said, I think I will march into Edwin Watts and ask if they are willing to give me a $50 store credit/gift card. I did not get any real service, so I have no issue there.

Time to have a level playing field again with the little guys.

That simply can't happen though. No store front rent, less returns and more eyeballs on products. According to CNBC yesterday, holiday sales did okay this year, but the biggest growth areas were online sales (growing 32%) over 2011 and digital content (growing 39%) over 2011. Whether those figures are accurate, I do not know, but they seem to make sense. Digital content is the future and starting to be the present.

That simply can't happen though. No store front rent, less returns and more eyeballs on products. According to CNBC yesterday, holiday sales did okay this year, but the biggest growth areas were online sales (growing 32%) over 2011 and digital content (growing 39%) over 2011. Whether those figures are accurate, I do not know, but they seem to make sense. Digital content is the future and starting to be the present.

You are correct JB, but I'm old enough I guess that I don't have to like it. Many of the same people that complain about course's going under or stores in their town closing, are the same ones that buy mostly online. It is the way it is, but it still sort of sucks.

Unfortunately being a college kid the most affordable way for me to upgrade clubs and gear is online. Sucks but just the way it is for now.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Everything is going to online. It's just the way it's heading. Look at the newspaper industry. I try to support local businesses but I also don't like wasting my hard earned money.

I buy everything that is close to the online price locally if its available. Otherwise I buy it online.
I also believe that if you take advantage of the store services you should buy from them if its reasonable to you the buyer. Also, I've found that if you tell the store that you have priced the same merchandise, they will make an effort to match the price if they can. I try to save myself money when I can and get quality products.

I try to buy local, and if its close in price its a no brainer. But I buy the majority of my apparel online. I just can't bring myself to pay anything close to 50 collars for a polo.

I will buy my new clubs locally. I can't in good conscience use the sims at Golf Town or hit clubs at a pro shop and then buy them online, JMHO.

I want to see the product if possible. Most of the time I'll do my research online so I can buy the right item locally. If the price is large enough to warrant waiting I buy online.

I buy stuff at my home course. Last set of irons I bought were $799 (maybe $749) at tgw.com, golfsmith, ect. I paid $600 plus tax.
I also get my Nike 20xi golf balls for $35 tax included.

Let's take this further and look into the crystal ball. What will happen when online sales dominate and brick and mortars go out of business? There will be no physical inventory to touch and feel, no personal service, and no way to try before you buy. Personally, I think e-tailing will evolve to counter those roadblocks but it will mean a whole new way of buying goods. Many facets of our economy will be affected such as commercial real estate, tax revenue, bluecollar workers, construction industry etc. Malls and strip centers will be dust bowls. It will be a totally new way of retailing and it will take a different mindset to accept that. The youngsters will adapt, the old guard won't.

Legislation will eventually catch up and start taxing online retailers. At that point purchases of $100 or so would be similar once tax and shipping is included.

No matter what, physical retailers will always have their place.

I try and buy local whenever it seems possible...I was a business owner in my local area for years and try and keep it local if possible. I like the guys at my course, and will pay a bit more for the help these guys provide.

If it seems illogical, then I look at shopping elsewhere.

I want to see the product if possible. Most of the time I'll do my research online so I can buy the right item locally. If the price is large enough to warrant waiting I buy online.
I do this too.

Legislation will eventually catch up and start taxing online retailers. At that point purchases of $100 or so would be similar once tax and shipping is included.

No matter what, physical retailers will always have their place.
Actually, you are supposed to pay sales tax on items you buy online. It's right there on your tax form. If you aren't charged for it at time of purchase, like most of the time when I buy on Amazon, it includes tax, you are supposed to pay it on your Federal Tax form.

Here in Australia there is a big push for buying locally. I will always prefer to buy local where I can and expect to pay slightly more to do so. However if I know what I want then I can generally get the item for 50-75% cheaper online from the US than I would from buying local. It's not always the case but it is mostly true. Problem is there is usually such a big price difference that it makes little sense to buy local. We all work hard for our money and we aren't just going to give it away if we can avoid it. So like a lot of others have essentially said, I'd like to always buy locally but it isn't always practical or sensible to do so.

I do not want to end the thread, as you guys are raising great points. I will say I am going to keep the bag. I found a $100.00 uncashed check in my luggage! It feels like a subtle hint from the Universe. If I buy locally, only good can come of it. :)

Back