Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

Love love love this thing. I'm now carrying it along my driver but it's just so good for me.

Perfect flight and the forgiveness is just incredible. Helped me to hitting 10/14 FW's today. Club is going nowhere....for a long time.
It really is amazing how good uou are hitting this off the tee.

Gamed this club today, 14 set to +2/n. Hot it 5 times off the tee, first tee, block to the right but still in play, 5th tee pull left but still in play, 9th tee absolute bomb down the pipe (I'd say almost as far as my best drive today), 14th tee slight push to just right rough but still good distance, 15th tee block right but still in play. Bottom line is the misses did not cost me a penalty with this but when I missed with driver it cost me shots... hmmm

Left the driver at home today and hit this off all tees except par 3s. My bad swings still resulted in slices but a majority of my tee shots were straighter than my usual drives, since they were straighter I usually ended up equal and a few longer than my usual driver yardage but I was in the short stuff instead of the rough. I'm still having pretty darn consistent shots from the deck, enough that I didn't even have to use the 3W for the second round in a row. The best part is the forward roll I get vs side roll with driver. Both the mini and the Alpha 815 are awesome clubs but my swing is not and for now the Mini keeps me out of trouble so I'll roll with it.

I've developed a bad habit with this off the tee. I keep hitting the back of it on the ground as I strike the ball.
That is a trait of a 'cast' delivery. This is not a trait of the club.

I've developed a bad habit with this off the tee. I keep hitting the back of it on the ground as I strike the ball.

Did it actually cause you to develop bad habits, or is it bring bad habits that you already had to light? :curl-lip:

When my ball position gets a bit off I tend to have a habit of playing it too far forward. (Probably because I'm used to playing drivers forward to catch them on the upswing for good launch). Ideally you should be positioning the ball at or very slightly back of where your swing bottoms out (If you have a modern rotational style swing that should be roughly where a logo on your shirt would be, or in line with your target side ear - both are the same place. If you're an old school swinger and drive you legs - like Jack Nickalus then you can get away with a further forward ball position) .

If the ball position is sound then the problem could be your posture changing during the swing. (Spine/shoulders tilting excessively/further away from the target causing your center of gravity to shift back toward your back leg too much. Many times that can be caused by the lower body -ex: legs and hips- shifting too much laterally, and the upper body shifts back to try to maintain balance between it and the lower body. Having good posture with the hips set back - butt out as Nick Faldo and Annika Sorestam commonly advised- and the body rotating instead of sliding are good keys).

Are you settings up with good ball position in line with your target side ear (like Greg Norman face-on setup in the picture linked below), or is your ball position too far forward? Are you setting up with good posture with hips pushed behind the heels, belt line matching shaft plane line, and spine tilted at a right angle to the shaft (like Greg Norman downline setup in the picture linked below), or are you setup in a way that your posture is going to drastically alter during the swing?

http://www.lagpressure.com/lagpressure/greg.jpg

Getting a bit off topic, but just saying maybe its not the club creating bad habits, but the club revealing bad habits...

Did it actually cause you to develop bad habits, or is it bring bad habits that you already had to light? :curl-lip:

When my ball position gets a bit off I tend to have a habit of playing it too far forward. (Probably because I'm used to playing drivers forward to catch them on the upswing for good launch). Ideally you should be positioning the ball at or very slightly back of where your swing bottoms out (If you have a modern rotational style swing that should be roughly where a logo on your shirt would be, or in line with your target side ear - both are the same place. If you're an old school swinger and drive you legs - like Jack Nickalus then you can get away with a further forward ball position) .

If the ball position is sound then the problem could be your posture changing during the swing. (Spine/shoulders tilting excessively/further away from the target causing your center of gravity to shift back toward your back leg too much. Many times that can be caused by the lower body -ex: legs and hips- shifting too much laterally, and the upper body shifts back to try to maintain balance between it and the lower body. Having good posture with the hips set back - butt out as Nick Faldo and Annika Sorestam commonly advised- and the body rotating instead of sliding are good keys).

Are you settings up with good ball position in line with your target side ear (like Greg Norman face-on setup in the picture linked below), or is your ball position too far forward? Are you setting up with good posture with hips pushed behind the heels, belt line matching shaft plane line, and spine tilted at a right angle to the shaft (like Greg Norman downline setup in the picture linked below), or are you setup in a way that your posture is going to drastically alter during the swing?

http://www.lagpressure.com/lagpressure/greg.jpg

Getting a bit off topic, but just saying maybe its not the club creating bad habits, but the club revealing bad habits...
Oh its absolutely me. I never had it creep up with my Amp 3 Wood off the tee. But the first week I used it for 3 rounds it never happened. The last 2 weeks it started to happen often. Again I know I'm to blame not the club lol

Ordered mine today, but the transaction is not quite complete thanks to a little confusion on the shaft which I'm working through. I can't wait for this to get here and get it into the bag.

Last hole of the day. 236 to the middle of the green on my second shot on the Par 5, 15-20 MPH wind in my face, put this 4 yards past the hole. Had enough height on it that the ball stopped 3 feet from the divot.

Yeah, I've figured out how to tame it off the deck.

Last hole of the day. 236 to the middle of the green on my second shot on the Par 5, 15-20 MPH wind in my face, put this 4 yards past the hole. Had enough height on it that the ball stopped 3 feet from the divot.

Sweet! I tried mine once yesterday and it wasn't pretty. First time I haven't caught it decently off the deck. But at 11* what can I really expect?

More reason for me to play smarter I suppose.

Sweet! I tried mine once yesterday and it wasn't pretty. First time I haven't caught it decently off the deck. But at 11* what can I really expect?

More reason for me to play smarter I suppose.

Its become a trend for me, I can legitimately hit it really really well off the deck, its crazy and mind bending at times. Being at +1 (15*) and D helps though.

Its become a trend for me, I can legitimately hit it really really well off the deck, its crazy and mind bending at times. Being at +1 (15*) and D helps though.

Fantastic weapon to have when the green light is there. I know it's a beast off the tee but is it also longer for you compared to other 15* fairways?

Fantastic weapon to have when the green light is there. I know it's a beast off the tee but is it also longer for you compared to other 15* fairways?

Off the deck? I hit it about the same length as my XR 3w when I was messing around last week. But, the lie has really got to be a solid setup where I can hit from more situations with the 3w comfortably of the deck.

Anyone gonna have one of these in KC I could try???

Need a short hitting old dude as a partner in KC :glasses-cool:

Need a short hitting old dude as a partner in KC :glasses-cool:
Only if you want a guaranteed good time!

I'm falling more for this club by the day, bad swings yield bad results, nothing changes that, but its becoming a great option for me on these windy days.

Only if you want a guaranteed good time!

I'm falling more for this club by the day, bad swings yield bad results, nothing changes that, but its becoming a great option for me on these windy days.
Can't imagine a round with you is anything but a good time. And a leak at some awesome gear.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

This club continues giving me joy: Played a par 490 par 5 by hitting the mini from the tee and then from the deck. Result: putting for eagle. I am not a long hitter to begin with. This things loves going long and straight.

Had a so-so day off the tee today, but the same can be said about driver.

Hit it off the deck on two par 5's though, hit one green and was 10y front of the other.

Woot woot.

One of the best clubs I have gamed, just a solid option off the tee and become a weapon off the deck

I am stalking one now, might put the 60 deg out to pasture (or on vacation) and put this in. I like my 3 wood, but with my gaps being so close at the top of the bag I just don't know. I am going to see David W. tomorrow and see if he has one in the test bag.

I am stalking one now, might put the 60 deg out to pasture (or on vacation) and put this in. I like my 3 wood, but with my gaps being so close at the top of the bag I just don't know. I am going to see David W. tomorrow and see if he has one in the test bag.
There's one in the market place right now.

Back