Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

I am pondering this one pending the demo again. Wish it wasn't an indoor LM to actually get a true number.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that this is the most forgiving driver I have hit in a number of years as it pertains to laterally across the face.

I'm pretty sure that this is the most forgiving driver I have hit in a number of years as it pertains to laterally across the face.

I was thinking back to the drivers I've played over the years and only the Cobra with the E9 face came close to forgiveness and ball speed retention on mishits. I'm a better player now than when I gamed my Cobra, but this GBB is pretty fun to hit. I cannot wait to get a professional fitting and unlock this thing to the fullest.

You've tested way more than I have ever tried, but it's by far the most forgiving for me. Ask Winchell if he can hit it 280+ off the heel of another driver. cause he did with the GBB. It was crazy to see his drive and then see where he hit it.

I know that the data I have recorded with a TON of drivers on monitor and via the eye tells me the same thing.

Sorry to be a skimmer,I was wondering if anyone has compared the GBB and the 815 ? I love my 815,but these reviews are hard not to make me ponder. I tested out for 3 wood when it first arrived in store and saw 10 yards off the bat differance. The sound off the face was money I enjoyed that something I look for when choosing a gamer. This one is a ponder ,but how great of a ponder will come from more demo at the store.

The 815 was a solid driver but it's no GBB. It was forgiving but not as much as the GBB. It was long but not as long as the GBB. The GBB is a stroke of genius imo and stands along side the 816 Alpha. Two of the best drivers I have hit to date.

Totally agree. I laugh sometimes at the results of a bad shot and at the reaction of some guys when I make a comment about not catching one on center.

I finally got round to hitting this with a shaft that actually makes sense for me over the weekend. Hit the 10.5* head with TiNi stiff against my Vapor Pro and the R15 12*. Really think it's a super solid driver and I could game it in a second, but honestly it didn't bowl me over and tell me I needed to buy it right now.

Things I really like:
-Sound. Pretty close to perfect IMO, though I don't like it quite as much as the VP here. A nice solid thwack with the slightest metal "ting" to it (which I like) and no reverb.
-Forgiveness. It's pretty silly forgiving, particularly low on the face.
-Feel. Explosive but solid is the best way I can describe it.

Things I'm indifferent on:
-Looks. I really like the sole side, but I'm not crazy about the matte black honestly. I could get over it though.
-Distance was good, but not better than what I have, and spin was a little higher (though not a ton) with similar launch (10.5* set +2). I think I'd need a fitting.
-Similarly to the 2014 Big Bertha, I noticed some draw bias when set +2 loft with weight at neutral. Not sure if trying the 13.5* head cranked down to 12.5* would alleviate this, but possibly.

In short, I think it's a good head but with my current data I prefer other offerings. I think I'd need a legit fitting to get optimized here, and even better would be a brand neutral fitting like Club Champion/Modern Golf to really compare across several brands' heads and determine whether this driver would be right for me.

The 815 was a solid driver but it's no GBB. It was forgiving but not as much as the GBB. It was long but not as long as the GBB. The GBB is a stroke of genius imo and stands along side the 816 Alpha. Two of the best drivers I have hit to date.
Thanks Freddie,I am seriously pondering this one now. All signs point at the GBB being in my 2016 bag

I love me some cookie but he hit everything but the middle of the face on Saturday morning. He was right there with us. In the afternoon he found that middle and hit some peaches. Forgiveness in spades!!

Has anyone tried hitting this off the deck?

I aim a little more left of target and the ball goes to smoke city!

All this talk about forgiveness really has me psyched. Especially for those of you that have already put it through it's paces. So, it's not just a honeymoon phase.

Finally got to hit my GBB on a monitor and it was bad. Duck hooks with everything. Tried full fade setting and didn't work.

9d5822e98758a074e859158f35b662f0.jpg

cce053c05697bfcf9de1b70aa3fcb321.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my numbers from Trackman today. Average numbers were:

Launch: 11*
Spin: 2100
Carry: 235
AoA: +3*

Looks like 9* head won't work. I'll need a 10.5*

Which shaft Alez?

Which shaft Alez?

Fuji speeder 66x. I'm thinking a 10.5* at N/S will be the better choice of head

Fuji speeder 66x. I'm thinking a 10.5* at N/S will be the better choice of head

Guessing your miss on the face is on the toe? Have you tried a have a higher launching shaft maybe in a softer flex? I had that same issue last week the first time I put a Rogue in play after coming out of a more mid-mid shaft. More toe miss, and hook city.

So, I'm hoping to get out with this one this weekend and give this PX THP shaft a whirl. Lime shaft and a blue head will definitely turn heads LOL

So, I'm hoping to get out with this one this weekend and give this PX THP shaft a whirl. Lime shaft and a blue head will definitely turn heads LOL

They'll think you're a Seahawks fan LOL

Guessing your miss on the face is on the toe? Have you tried a have a higher launching shaft maybe in a softer flex? I had that same issue last week the first time I put a Rogue in play after coming out of a more mid-mid shaft. More toe miss, and hook city.

lately, toe has been the constant miss with this. Currently I have two more shafts to try with the head but at this point, based on what the fitter was telling me, I will try and trade for a 10.5 head

I gave the GBB one more try, this time with lightweight Bassara shaft, boy what a difference for me. 10.5 degree head, set to full fade it was nice high fades all day. I didn't fight the left except for one shot that got way too quick on. It was a fun club to hit today, weather permitting I'll grab it from the Pro Shop again on Sunday to see if it was real or just a good swing day.

I gave the GBB one more try, this time with lightweight Bassara shaft, boy what a difference for me. 10.5 degree head, set to full fade it was nice high fades all day. I didn't fight the left except for one shot that got way too quick on. It was a fun club to hit today, weather permitting I'll grab it from the Pro Shop again on Sunday to see if it was real or just a good swing day.
That pretty well correlates with what I have seen. The lighter the shaft the more I miss right. With the Bassara I lose everything right. Can't seem to feel the club head. With the Rogue, a 25 gram heavier low spin shaft my miss is much more pronounced left.

That pretty well correlates with what I have seen. The lighter the shaft the more I miss right. With the Bassara I lose everything right. Can't seem to feel the club head. With the Rogue, a 25 gram heavier low spin shaft my miss is much more pronounced left.

I wish that was the case with me. The lighter the shaft, the farther left it went.

Back