Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

Its 370, I asked Finley on Twitter and he pointed me to Luke Williams for the answer.
Good to know... now I'll know what I fave if I want to reshaft mine :)

After 2 days and 2 rounds these XR Pro's are exceeding my expectations. I have hit 25/28 greens so far with these. The flight is slightly higher and spin is less than my old irons which is maybe my favorite trait of these. Mid irons roll out 5-10 feet after they land on the green and short irons stop within a few feet of their ball mark. Distance is consistent and misses, especially my normal thin miss results in only a very small amount of distance especially compared to my old Wilson FG V2's. The extra distance is very surprising and the thing that I like about it is my 7 iron now carries the same as my old 6 iron(175ish) but is 3/4" shorter so it's that much easier to hit straight.

I didn't order the 4 iron but I will be this week after finding out how stupid easy the 5 iron is to hit straight, high, and long. I missed the 5 iron off the toe from 207 yards on a par 5 approach Tuesday and it still wound up on the green. My old 5 iron would have been in the water hazard short and right of the green. I also hit my 5 iron past pin high on the very difficult 203 yard 15th hole at my home course. In the past it was a 4 iron or my 21* Adams Dhy hybrid. My new 5 iron launches higher, is almost as long, and is 2" shorter than my Adams hybrid which makes it more accurate. The only thing I need to change with these irons is the lie angles need to flattened 1*. My expectations are that these new irons will shave a couple strokes off my index.

I caught those little nuggets. That's good stuff.

When these hit CPO its going to be like boxing day at Best Buy. The constant amazing feedback is impossible to ignore.

When these hit CPO its going to be like boxing day at Best Buy. The constant amazing feedback is impossible to ignore.

Agree with you, here. I played the Apex most of last season, and they are great clubs. For some guys who previously raved about the Apex say the XR Pros are better is really making a point.

I just bought pro combos but now I'm pondering these haha! Reviews have been stellar

Looks like I'll be getting a round in tomorrow with these :)

+1

unfortunately for my wallet

My daily reports on my XR Pro's may be a bit too much but I'm really excited about these and I feel a little foolish about being a forged snob for the last 35 years.

I hit off a lie board yesterday and my suspicions were confirmed, the were too upright. I had the lies flattened 1.5 degrees and was able to get 5 holes in with them last night before the sun went down. I hit all 5 GIR and these XR's are dialed in now!

My daily reports on my XR Pro's may be a bit too much but I'm really excited about these and I feel a little foolish about being a forged snob for the last 35 years.

I hit off a lie board yesterday and my suspicions were confirmed, the were too upright. I had the lies flattened 1.5 degrees and was able to get 5 holes in with them last night before the sun went down. I hit all 5 GIR and these XR's are dialed in now!
It's pretty cool to see your excitement over these. I am currently a "forged snob" so will see how I get along with these :)

Quickly... I had my appointment at Cool Clubs yesterday or my iron fitting and these won out, not to my surprise. The KBS Tour stiff 120g shaft was amazing for me in these irons. I gained about 15 yards on average over my current X-Forged irons. The spin was slightly lower but they were launching about a degree higher and flying about 10-15 feet higher with a steeper landing angle than my irons. I forgot to ask to hit the DG Pro shafts in them though but it would be hard to beat that XR Pro and KBS Tour combo for me. Now I just need to figure how to get the 120g taper tip .355 version of the KBS Tour from Callaway instead of the 130g stiff parallel tip .370 version that appears to be what's available.

As always, Rob LaRosa at Cool Clubs Atlanta was awesome to work with. I highly recommend him.

First round with these in the bag. 3 - aw. Where do I start.... these are looonnngggg!!! Had 188 into a up hill par 3, hit 7 iron and ball landed back of the green (about 10 yds past flag) and on a 175 yd par 3 into the wind, hit a knock down 8 iron that I pulled a bit and landed pin high to the left fringe. Hit 3 iron 3 times off the tee, while all three were very loose swings that either struck low on the face or toe, they all were playable and got out to about 240 ish. One 4 iron off the deck 230 out on a par 5 that I hit very low and toe-y traveled 220 yds landing short right of the green. I had a hard time adjusting to how far these irons were getting the ball out. The aw is turning out to be a great club for me, filling 135 ish gap very nicely. I am definitely looking forward to getting out with these again. I said to J4U many times "man I can game these, just have to get over the look." But in all honesty I didn't once look down and think these are way too big. The fact that the shorter irons have a bit shorter blade length is a big plus for me. The progressive changes into longer irons just provide confidence and incredible forgiveness

Ordered mine 1° flat. With the weather here in NJ. First round was last Sunday. A few range session this week. I'm glad I went flat. These are just amazing irons. Was hoping for a good round tomorrow with them but we just got 5" of Effing snow.

Told you Kang.

Told you Kang.
It's just crazy. Yeah I'm in altitude but to see a big jump in carry distance is eye opening. I had a feeling so I took 3w out and had driver, 5w, 3-aw, 54, 58 and putter. It actually set up the bag really well. I'll need to get more acquainted to figure out if the 200 yd 7 iron is a fluke but these are what you said... FUN!

kang those numbers are filthy buddy. Wow.
Altitude numbers, gotta remember. Still they are a club longer than what I normally hit. Just nasty irons

I had a hell of a fun day with these today, its a recurring trend that word, fun.

I'm a big fan of the ball flight I'm seeing, lower spin, high launch, and carry for days. So many talk about the fear of lower spin holding the greens, well I was hop and stopping them from 5i to AW today with copious amounts of sand on the greens. On a normal green, I've seen some fun action on my shots.

Distance is what I've been seeing, 8i is my 170 club, its silly and fun (hey, there's those two words that keep coming up). 9i sits 160, PW 150, AW is my 140-130 club, and this blends fine into my wedges, no vaunted gap issues but I full swing my wedges all the way to the 58 so its all good there.

Stand by my review points on the standard XR sound/feel wise here with the Pro's, more firm, more click, but not harsh.

They're....FUN. They really are, it was gong to take a hell of a lot to move me from my Vapor Pro Combo's out of the bag but these have. Longer, and just as accurate for me, which was why I was so in love with the VPC's in the first place. Extremely happy I threw the money down on these.

Fun is awesome. Love it man.

And from reading feedback from others, you aren't alone in your thoughts.

Remember when we discussed how/could Callaway improve on the Apex? Sounds like it has happened.

Fun is awesome. Love it man.

And from reading feedback from others, you aren't alone in your thoughts.

Remember when we discussed how/could Callaway improve on the Apex? Sounds like it has happened.

I'm eager to see what they do with the Apex this next year, I anticipate a new version (pure speculation by me). Give me the feel of the Apex with the Cup-360 in them? Holy hell.

After being in GG and running into the Callaway rep and her talking these (and the standard) XR's up and then reading the last four pages of this thread, I'm going to have to give this line a good look.

I'm eager to see what they do with the Apex this next year, I anticipate a new version (pure speculation by me). Give me the feel of the Apex with the Cup-360 in them? Holy hell.

For me, these are different than the Apex. First off they are quite a bit smaller at setup. While that does not necessarily mean less forgiveness due to construction, its still a smaller head. For some that works, for some that doesnt.

For me, these are different than the Apex. First off they are quite a bit smaller at setup. While that does not necessarily mean less forgiveness due to construction, its still a smaller head. For some that works, for some that doesnt.

Oh no, I agree, I'm not comparing them to the Apex, I'm simply saying the tech we are seeing with the Bertha and now the two XR iron lines is legit, and if they somehow can implement it into an Apex style head, that would be special.

Do you have a comparison of head size in these to the XHot Pros?

I didn't really look at the irons on hand in store today. I was mainly looking at drivers.

Oh no, I agree, I'm not comparing them to the Apex, I'm simply saying the tech we are seeing with the Bertha and now the two XR iron lines is legit, and if they somehow can implement it into an Apex style head, that would be special.

Very true. I love the Apex. Its the perfect blend of forgiveness and style.
I love what XR brings to the table. I enjoy seeing companies push the technology envelope and there are a few that are doing it really well right now.

Very true. I love the Apex. Its the perfect blend of forgiveness and style.
I love what XR brings to the table. I enjoy seeing companies push the technology envelope and there are a few that are doing it really well right now.

Yep, to me, ALL AROUND the Apex are still the best iron on the market still, all business. These bring a new level of fun to the table in a profile you would NEVER expect it.

I love club technology, I adore it. Companies are doing ASTOUNDING things right now in that area, and those who say they aren't, are on something.

Back