Charl Schwartzel wants to cook the Champions Dinner

I like that! Makes me want to smoke a rack of ribs and grill some good red meat.

Pretty cool idea, hope it don't rain!

Cink needs to win, I understand he is a bar b q Zen Master

That's pretty cool. I wonder how many he's gonna have to cook for.

That's pretty boss. Great stuff Charl!

Then the headlines come out past champions not able to play Masters due to food borne illness! Take out the competition. I am sure Charl will cook up a great meal that is a huge undertaking and will certainly be a unique champions dinner.

That's a great idea Charl !
I'll take a Springbok steak.

Maybe they'll be serving leftovers on Thursday! Man, I hope I get to attend this year.

This is really cool. Go Charl! What a fantastic idea!

It will look unusual having a South African pit barbecue in the backyard among their standard white tables, chairs and umbrella's. I hope he get's to cook his braai. Schwartzy is a player!

I'm not sure where you got that info from, but we don't do pit barbecue's mate, in fact the Weber is probably the most popular braai (bbq) in South Africa.

I think this is a fantastic move by Charl and although everyone barbecue's (even the poms when the weather allows it) we have some pretty unique items that go on the braai.

For example we have boerewors, which is a traditional sausage made from ground beef mince, but can include pork or lamb, with a mix of spices.

Another favourite is lamb rib chops and I'm sure Charl will add some venison to the menu, most like Springbok like someone mentioned or even something more exotic like Warthog ribs or even Crocodile.

Regardless of the menu, it should be great fun and very relaxed and sociable.

I remember when Trevor Immelman did the Champions Dinner, his menu consisted of Bobotie and Melktert.

Great idea. Hopefully he'll have a couple of ice buckets filled with brews too.

Sadly, this story will not have a happy ending. From this morning's edition of the Global Golf Post:

Earlier this year, Global Golf Post was the first to report that defending Masters champion Charl Schwartzel not only wanted to serve braai (South African barbecue) at the Tuesday night Champions Dinner next month at Augusta National, but that he wanted to cook it himself.

He has finally gotten word back from Masters officials on his request. “It’s not going to happen,” Schwartzel said at the Transitions. “Well, I can’t do it myself; put it that way. They are still going to do it but they are going to have a chef doing it ... I didn’t know what to expect. They said that it would be nice if we can all just chat more instead of someone (a player) cooking and stuff.”

The challenge now for the Augusta National chefs will be coming up with the goods. The braai skills are a matter of national pride in South Africa.

Ah well. He can now spend the time telling everyone his cooking would have been better.

It's a bit of a shame, cos Charl's plan was pretty cool.

Haha Im always amazed at the way Scots come up with their solutions.

It was between that and 'get drunk and storm the kitchen', but it's Masters week after all.

This is very cool and they mentioned it a few weeks ago in the broadcast. It's a big meal with a lot of very important people and i give him all the credit to do it himself!

Tapaway!

Back