Cleveland 588 TT Irons Preview Thread

I agree 100% my misses are on the toe and I am catching greens I normally wouldnt.

That's where my miss is. There and a bit thin at times.

Last week on #7 I hit one if those shots.
Par 3. Pin in the back. Hit it and it didn't feel great but when you look up and it's on a great line so you watch it just hoping its gonna be good. With my R11 the ball would fall out if the air well short.

I hit the front if the green on this occasion. Had a long putt but at least I was putting.

That's where my miss is. There and a bit thin at times.

Last week on #7 I hit one if those shots.
Par 3. Pin in the back. Hit it and it didn't feel great but when you look up and it's on a great line so you watch it just hoping its gonna be good. With my R11 the ball would fall out if the air well short.

I hit the front if the green on this occasion. Had a long putt but at least I was putting.

Chunky better bring his wallet come a few weeks in MB. With you, Jarret, and I gaming some TTs, he's in for a expensive round.

Cool and thanks...I would think they are both high ball flight shafts but with those strong lofts it probably works out with a decent ball flight...two reasons I would lean toward the KBS Tour 90 is I have experience with them and they weigh about 17 more grams (in stiff .370 shafts) and I think I would like something a bit heavier than 85 grams..even though i know the popular thing right now is light shafts...heck Matt Kuchar has won twice on the PGA Tour this year with 95 gram shafts in his irons???

For the Traction 85 shaft that is stock for the MT/TT irons, the true weight at "raw shaft length" is actually 95 grams. That surprising information can be found in Cleveland's 2013 Custom Catalog under "stock shafts for irons" You can view the 2013 Custom Catalog as a pdf file on Cleveland Golf's WebSite...(See page 10 when you open the file).

I thought that was well worth posting here because the shaft's raw length weight is normally the weight used when comparing shaft weights. Elsewhere on Cleveland's site it states the shaft weighs 85 grams but I think that is really just the average weight after the shaft has been cut down from its raw length.

As previously mentioned in this thread, KBS makes these shafts for Cleveland which is likely why it so similar to the Tour 90 shaft, (i.e. very close in weight to the Tour 90 with a very similar mid to high launch).

:angel:

Last edited:
For those that have hit these and the j40 dpc irons...what kind of differences did u experience between the 2.

For those that have hit these and the j40 dpc irons...what kind of differences did u experience between the 2.

Better toe forgiveness on the TT over the DPC. Both in lateral forgiveness and distance forgiveness. I only gamed the DPCs for one round tho, so the sample sizes were much different.

Better toe forgiveness on the TT over the DPC. Both in lateral forgiveness and distance forgiveness. I only gamed the DPCs for one round tho, so the sample sizes were much different.

The toe on the DPCs are much less forgiving than I would have thought/hoped. I may have to spend a bit of time with these in Myrtle.

Cool..I wasnt sure what to think of toe forgiveness on dpc irons til I hit the rocketbladez and saw a huge improvement in forgiveness. I'll have to try these out again real soon.

I've got the TT 9 / PW / DW and I was on fire with them yesterday. There were a lot if chances for me to use them. A lot of scenarios.

Every time I had the chance to pull one I had so much confidence hit some amazing shots with them.

I've got the TT 9 / PW / DW and I was on fire with them yesterday. There were a lot if chances for me to use them. A lot of scenarios.

Every time I had the chance to pull one I had so much confidence hit some amazing shots with them.
That's where I am at with them, Derek. Without a doubt one of the easiest irons I have ever hit. Love these irons.

That's where I am at with them, Derek. Without a doubt one of the easiest irons I have ever hit. Love these irons.

One T smashed these. Stock Stiff even had me sold.

One T smashed these. Stock Stiff even had me sold.
Stock shaft in these are impressive. Remind me a lot of the Tour 90s I have been playing for the past year.

Stock shaft in these are impressive. Remind me a lot of the Tour 90s I have been playing for the past year.

Yeah man. I thought I'd hate them but really enjoyed them. Cleveland did it right

Well, these irons wer eteh reason I found out about this forum so I figure i should post some thoughts.

I have had them for a couple of weeks. 4i-DW, stock shafts, 1* flat, 1" short. I am 5'6" and not a long hitter. My favorite irons I ever played were Titleist DCI Blacks a long time ago.

I don't get out to play much. House, wife, 2 little kids. In my playing days I was probably a 10 handicap. Now, who knows. I usually shoot mid-high 80s.

Played these 2x. Never took them to the range.

1st Time:
Played 12 holes before the lightning started. They felt very comfortable in my hands. Ball jumped off the club. Very forgiving. Or at least WAY more forgiving then the muscle back Titleists I gave up on. My last Titleists were very inconsistent for me. They were 2* flat and not shortened. I would hit my 6i anywhere from 165 yards to 140 if i miss hit.

Never had that problem with this club. It also is an easier club for me to swing which may have had somehting to do with it. I wasn't carrying a 6i 172 like I was on the sim but I was close to that. Obviously still trying to get a feel for the irons.

Hole 2. Hit 3 wood to about 128. Thats in between a P and 9i for me so I pulled out a 9i, choked down a little and eagled. Ball flew, hit the green once, then I heard it hit the pin and figured it rolled off the green. Walked up to see it in the hole.

Another par 3. 130 to the pin. Teed it up a little to get it up in the air and a little shorter and completely flew the green but it felt great coming off the club, I just misjudged how I hit the club. Shot a 36 on the front. (+1)

2nd time:
Week later, same course, played the "blue" tees instead of whites. Shot 79 but more due to my short game and how easy the course is. Irons felt great again. No mis-hits I remember except one off the toe. Hit 5 iron on 2 tees. One hit about 185 and basically stopped on the fairway. Other I hit off the toe a bit and still hit it about 175 and on the fairway.

Couple of fairways missed caused me to get creative and hit a couple of recovery shots with the irons. One I hit a low rising fade around some trees with a 5 iron and it did exactly waht I wanted it to. The second was a low running 4 iron with a little hook and again, it did exactly what I wanted.

My mid-irons I have a tendency to draw a bit and I still have that but with my old irons if I missed I would hook hard. Never really had that happen.

Still no idea what D stands for in my D wedge :) Nor do I know my lofts in my 2 wedges.

The only other wedge I have is a Volkey 56. I need to buy a 60 and am torn if I should buy another Volkey or buy a 56 and 60 in the new Cleveland RTX CB.

The true test comes on Monday when I play Bethpage Black!

Yeah man. I thought I'd hate them but really enjoyed them. Cleveland did it right

I'm glad these are TMex approved, I am really loving my mixed set. I thought I would love the MTs and kind of struggle with TTs, but I have seen the opposite so far. Almost makes me want to buy a few TT singles to fill out the top of the bag.

I really cant say enough about these irons for my game. I had a few issues off the tee today, but the TT irons had me hitting some great recovery shots. Best results come with a smooth, fluid swing. No need to try and muscle up on my shot to get it there, a smooth stroke gets me the result that I need. Easy to hit, and just stay on their line.

I'm in a pretty good place with the TTs. I had quite a bit of a struggle switching from a muscle cavity to a full cavity iron, but I think that is a lot more about me as a golfer than it does with the clubs themselves. After some adjustments and a whooooooole lot of range balls, I'm back to finding some more consistent flighting and some good accuracy.

There are a couple of mis-hits I have dealt with between an over draw or a blocked shot that heads straight, maybe 5-10 yards right of my anticipated target. I find both to come out more when I am laying off my shot, whereas I find an ideal straight/soft draw when I get after the shot.

I also feel like these clubs promote more of a 'high-five' style contact into the turf rather than opening the door for large divots. I think it takes quite a bit of work to really dig in with these and frankly, isn't needed for solid contact or spin.

Distance wise I am seeing around what I would expect out of my iron length. I wouldn't go as far as categorizing these irons as 'distance' irons, simply geared towards simple, flush contact.

One aspect that really shocked me was the ability to generate spin. I am putting some SERIOUS backspin on my shorter irons, as well as stopping and pulling back all the way up to the 4. I can bring the ball back upwards of 10-15 feet with the PW/9 iron, more commonly though, around 3-5 feet. It's been great with the exception of coming up a bit short on a front pin and having it spin off haha!

The irons that really seem to shine for me are the 6-7-8-9 irons. Most of the time contact feels very pure, and I had a few 7 irons today land within 8-10 feet of the hole. Great stuff there.

The one thing I can't really talk about is thinning shots. I haven't done much of that, and certainly haven't felt that dampening/numbing feeling that many get when hitting a ball thin.

That's crazy spin Dan. I'm getting land and stop right there spin, but you probably hit it a little crisper and a touch steeper than I do.

I've noticed that with the right shaft, these things just want to go straight.

Great stuff Dan, really glad to see that you are getting back to where you want to be with these.

These are without a doubt the standout of the 2013 Cleveland line to me.

Great stuff Dan, really glad to see that you are getting back to where you want to be with these.
That's crazy spin Dan. I'm getting land and stop right there spin, but you probably hit it a little crisper and a touch steeper than I do.

I've noticed that with the right shaft, these things just want to go straight.

I think I got pretty steep upon receiving them because I was so used to deeper turf interaction.. Stepping away from that has been a struggle, but I think I am finally getting back to more expected results.

Even with the steeper argument though, I am not sure I've ever seen this much backspin off 8/9/PW of a set before.

I really cant say enough about these irons for my game. I had a few issues off the tee today, but the TT irons had me hitting some great recovery shots. Best results come with a smooth, fluid swing. No need to try and muscle up on my shot to get it there, a smooth stroke gets me the result that I need. Easy to hit, and just stay on their line.

I could take the second half if that and post it in the MT thread. I have a feeling that carries true through out the entire line. I just get happy when I put myself in the range to use these. Confidence is fun.

Last night was a very productive session with the TTs for me. After hitting them really well on the range, I decided to get on course to see if I could just take confident, aggressive swings with them and find my target.

On course I was tested quite a bit. most of the shots I took did not need to be 'worked' one way or the other, however I seem to hit these best with a tailing draw in the flight.

PW to 15 feet.
3/4 PW to 8 feet.
8 iron layup perfectly down the line.
9 iron from 155 with a perfect draw flight, landed, biting, and spinning back towards the hole.
4 iron out of the rough with solid flight, carrying through to nearly the green 210+ away.
7 iron from 177 landing just short and rolling out to about 5 feet away.

These were the true highlights of the evening for me, with striking generating a high, sailing left turn in the air that was enjoyable to watch. They were also a touch longer than i was anticipating.

There were some less than impressive shots, hanging right and high rather than turning over. I'm still trying to get a read on what's causing that, but I would attribute it more to how I am swinging over anything else. If I put a good confident swing on these, they go where I want them to, and that's a nice feeling.

Turf interaction remains best when it's minimal. I think these irons are best suited for a sweeper style swing, but that's just my opinion and probably indicative of how I am swinging. I also think that comes from years of playing a minimal head shape that more easily cuts through the turf after the ball has departed.

I'll be back to it either tonight or tomorrow if you guys have specific questions. I'm excited to feel like I can put the right swing on these and produce much like I was with my previous gamers. It's such a great feeling knocking one close and knowing that the club performance is playing a role in it.

I second the shallow turf contact yields the best results. If you get too aggressive, the ball doesn't seem to go as far and plus it stings a little bit.

I second the shallow turf contact yields the best results. If you get too aggressive, the ball doesn't seem to go as far and plus it stings a little bit.

I'm not getting much stinging in the hands, but I've been playing on some pretty soft conditions due to all the rain here. I'll keep an eye on that buddy.

Back