Cleveland CG Black CB Iron Preview

They pass my eye test for sure. I'd be curious to see how they wear over tons of hits. It's just a black coating/paint, right? Guessing chrome underneath? The hit/wear on the bottom and face of the club might make them hard to like after a number of rounds. That's probably just me though.

With that said, as long as they preform, that's the main thing.

I'm not a fan of black, but, these do look good. It's not likely that I'll run across them at a demo day, but, I would definitely try them if I did. I've never seen a Cleveland Demo Day. If we still had the Ultimate Outing and Demo Day they'd surely be there. I miss those. :weep:

They pass my eye test for sure. I'd be curious to see how they wear over tons of hits. It's just a black coating/paint, right? Guessing chrome underneath? The hit/wear on the bottom and face of the club might make them hard to like after a number of rounds. That's probably just me though.

With that said, as long as they preform, that's the main thing.

I'm guessing it's similar if not the same to their wedges. I have black Cleveland wedges and they do wear in, but I kind of like the look. But yes, the wedges are chrome/satin underneath and it just tends to wear at the leading edge of the sole and where you hit on the face. If you're a consistent striker in the center of the face I would imagine it would be quite the wear pattern on them. The rest of the black holds up perfectly though.

I'm guessing it's similar if not the same to their wedges. I have black Cleveland wedges and they do wear in, but I kind of like the look. But yes, the wedges are chrome/satin underneath and it just tends to wear at the leading edge of the sole and where you hit on the face. If you're a consistent striker in the center of the face I would imagine it would be quite the wear pattern on them. The rest of the black holds up perfectly though.

In fairness though, it took quite some time for them to start showing wear. At least over a year or two, and I can't say or not if they started to wear more because I use a wire brush on them, but I can't imagine that helps the finish.

I love the black finish on irons and the size of these heads look good.

Recoils for a stock graphite option make me happy especially at only an increase in cost my $100.

Well damn. I was about 85% committed to the 545s & these beauties show up.

Did I miss the release date?

BTW, the most durable black finish I've ever seen on an iron was the black TAs from several years ago. I'll have to see if I ca find a pic.

BTW, the most durable black finish I've ever seen on an iron was the black TAs from several years ago. I'll have to see if I ca find a pic.

These have not been released yet

Feb 13th.

Feb 13th.
Thanks.

Here are the older TAs I was thinking of.
cleveland_ta7_irons.png

These are looking great. Very clean, and I like the black finish - very reminiscent of the FG Tour M3 line. Great stock shaft in there too - you don't see a lot of Nippons, which is a shame.

really like the two shaft options, Nippon 1050 have a great feel but still very solid at the same time.

Wow, did not expect them to look THAT good. Those are stunning in my books.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

These look very nice and I'd be very interested in hitting these at a demo day. My only concern is the shaft lengths, which seem quite long.

For me ideally D2 is the perfect swing weight for my irons. When it comes to wedges I want something heavier obviously with a lower cg to get that ball sky high. Lighter is better if you're striking the ball well. Granted lighter is a property that detracts from forgiveness but it's nice to have lightweight long irons that positively jet upon impact.

Granted lighter is a property that detracts from forgiveness but it's nice to have lightweight long irons that positively jet upon impact.

This is not an absolute.

Would really love to see how these perform with some KBS tours in them. If they have the right feel and everything, you might see some things in the marketplace from me. I wish more companies offered black irons, but I am guessing the demand for them is very little.

Seeing 2 degree gaps all the way up to 6 degree really has me wanting to know more about the tech. Don't take that as a complaint of strong lofts just something I think is really interesting.

Seeing 2 degree gaps all the way up to 6 degree really has me wanting to know more about the tech. Don't take that as a complaint of strong lofts just something I think is really interesting.

6* of loft at the bottom isn't that out of the ordinary. My current set PW to GW is 5*

I believe most typical in set lofts go 3* difference between 4-5-6, 4* difference 7-8-9, 5* difference PW-GW-SW. Other than the 2* between the 4 and 5, and the 6* between the PW and GW (or DW in this case) it's pretty spot on.

Love the look. I so want all black clubs. If these can perform similarly to the 588 TT the. I would switch just for the color alone. :)

You said these were between the 588 TT and CB - what characteristics do you think make that the case? Higher launch/ more spin than the TT?

Club head size in certain areas in my opinion.
Closer to TT then CB however.

Wow what a price point for Recoils. And very sharp looking for a black club head.

How do these differ from the previous CG offering that was targeted at slower swing speeds with old people of women in mind?
Will they launch a little lower? I notice these at aimed at 90mph or greater swing speeds in the preview.

It gets confusing when they launch the same named irons year after year but aim them at different people.

I love the black heads and will be hitting these against the Wilsons, Titties and Pings when they arrive.

Differences will include:

Smaller head
Probably less offset
Likely less weight low, meaning less help up.
The other offering includes hybrid irons instead of long irons
Little less forgiveness most likely

Just think of these as more of a players type iron (compared to the normal CG Black).

Back