Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

From what I'm getting, Bigsy just kills the ball!!! I would love some of those numbers with my driver haha.

lol I was thinking the same thing. Awesome driver numbers!

I'm enjoying all of the feedback guys, thanks for sharing.

What is the ETA on these hitting retail shelves? i'm noticing a few of the drivers popping up for sale online.

Another day at the range with my Mashie and more good news. Today I made the exciting (although not surprising) break through that swinging very easy with this club just flat works. I was hitting bombs today that felt effortless. I think the hook problem that I previously described may have been solved by just slowing down my swing speed (which makes me ever more excited to try out the x-stiff at the outing so I can go after it and hopefully hit even bigger bombs). Today felt like a breakthrough with this club and now I'm excited to get it back out on the course (which I should be doing several times this weekend).

One word! MASHIE! Okay, way more than one word. Had a blast out there with the Mashie today. Played the M2 version and used it 7 times with no errors or errant shots. Once off the tee, 5 times from the fairway, and once from the rough. Each one I hit, I just smiled as I got exactly what I wanted with it. Played a draw, fade, and straight ball today and had no issues. The more I use it, the more I want a 2nd one.

Mashie Review- Range Day 1

I finally made it out to a range today. It was the only one that was open around here due to the snow we received on Saturday. They only had their mats open, which really sucked. I did hit a whole large bucket of balls so I could spend a lot of time with the club.

Sound- The sound of this club is so clean it is ridiculous. It is such a soft and iron like sound. It was as if you were hitting a nice AW in to a green from 100 yds. out. I really do like this part of the club. Some clubs out there have loud ping sounds that can get annoying at times. I feel like the sound of this club is like you are smashing it down the fairway! Solid sound.

Feel- This part of the club is so great! You can easily feel where you hit it on the face. This for me is really good, because you can tell if you miss hit it and where you miss hit it. This really helps me know what I need to correct to get the best hits off of the face. Some clubs don’t let you feel this and this club lets you feel it.

Performance- This was amazing. If you hit the club right, the ball seemed to rocket right off of the face and go forever. I was averaging about 205 with it. That is about normal for a 3 hybrid and me. The flight what so penetrating and it didn’t seem like anything could stop it. I was so amazed about this part. I did have some mishits here and there, but those mostly were caused by me trying to crush the ball. I had to keep reminding myself of the advice everybody has said so far, “Just swing easy and the club takes care of the rest.” One crazy thing about this club was at times it seemed like I would send knuckle balls down the range. The ball would fly at a low angle down the range, going up and down all the way. Crazy. I also noticed this happening if I try to bend the ball some. It was as if the club corrects some small mishits for you. I wonder if this is more of a user error or the club doing this. My swing is not the most perfect thing in the world and can vary from hit to hit. If I did want it to hook or fade I really had to put some effort to it. I just couldn’t be lazy in the process or the shot would end up going straight down the range. Again, I don’t have as much experience doing this as some better handicappers, so this could be due to user error to.

Overall Impression- THIS CLUB IS AMAZING! It definitely has a place in my bag over the TM Burner. I was continually amazed ever time I hit this club. My mishits were small and seemed to hardly happen with this club. It seemed like I was just crushing or Mashing! the ball down the range. The hardest part about hitting this club is not trying to put everything you have in to your swings. The club does all the work for you and you have to just swing nice and easy! I am so excited about getting this club on some grass! I hope to make it to a grass range tomorrow and I am supposed to play on Friday if the snow melts off tomorrow. Pray for the heat gods tomorrow!

awesome stuff DMB! and on the first day....the Lord created Mashie
Mashie Review- Range Day 1

I finally made it out to a range today. It was the only one that was open around here due to the snow we received on Saturday. They only had their mats open, which really sucked. I did hit a whole large bucket of balls so I could spend a lot of time with the club.

Sound- The sound of this club is so clean it is ridiculous. It is such a soft and iron like sound. It was as if you were hitting a nice AW in to a green from 100 yds. out. I really do like this part of the club. Some clubs out there have loud ping sounds that can get annoying at times. I feel like the sound of this club is like you are smashing it down the fairway! Solid sound.

Feel- This part of the club is so great! You can easily feel where you hit it on the face. This for me is really good, because you can tell if you miss hit it and where you miss hit it. This really helps me know what I need to correct to get the best hits off of the face. Some clubs don’t let you feel this and this club lets you feel it.

Performance- This was amazing. If you hit the club right, the ball seemed to rocket right off of the face and go forever. I was averaging about 205 with it. That is about normal for a 3 hybrid and me. The flight what so penetrating and it didn’t seem like anything could stop it. I was so amazed about this part. I did have some mishits here and there, but those mostly were caused by me trying to crush the ball. I had to keep reminding myself of the advice everybody has said so far, “Just swing easy and the club takes care of the rest.” One crazy thing about this club was at times it seemed like I would send knuckle balls down the range. The ball would fly at a low angle down the range, going up and down all the way. Crazy. I also noticed this happening if I try to bend the ball some. It was as if the club corrects some small mishits for you. I wonder if this is more of a user error or the club doing this. My swing is not the most perfect thing in the world and can vary from hit to hit. If I did want it to hook or fade I really had to put some effort to it. I just couldn’t be lazy in the process or the shot would end up going straight down the range. Again, I don’t have as much experience doing this as some better handicappers, so this could be due to user error to.

Overall Impression- THIS CLUB IS AMAZING! It definitely has a place in my bag over the TM Burner. I was continually amazed ever time I hit this club. My mishits were small and seemed to hardly happen with this club. It seemed like I was just crushing or Mashing! the ball down the range. The hardest part about hitting this club is not trying to put everything you have in to your swings. The club does all the work for you and you have to just swing nice and easy! I am so excited about getting this club on some grass! I hope to make it to a grass range tomorrow and I am supposed to play on Friday if the snow melts off tomorrow. Pray for the heat gods tomorrow!

well, another happy camper so far. good stuff dmb, glad you enjoyed what you saw so far. do you guys think that it's just the fact that there's a nice, high end shaft in it that makes it so sweet, or is it that plus a combination of things? any thoughts? this goes to any others that have hit the mashie as well.

DMB awesome! Glad youve foynd the swing and are feeling the love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, another happy camper so far. good stuff dmb, glad you enjoyed what you saw so far. do you guys think that it's just the fact that there's a nice, high end shaft in it that makes it so sweet, or is it that plus a combination of things? any thoughts? this goes to any others that have hit the mashie as well.

I personally think the shaft play a LARGE part in the performance of this club, but it's the total package that makes it great because I don't think the shaft effects the sound or the feel at impact (of course the shaft effects the overall feel, but I'm referring to the feel of the ball on the clubface).

I personally think the shaft play a LARGE part in the performance of this club, but it's the total package that makes it great because I don't think the shaft effects the sound or the feel at impact (of course the shaft effects the overall feel, but I'm referring to the feel of the ball on the clubface).

thanks AHA....although i have yet to hit the Mashie, i would agree with your assessment of the shafts role. i love my kusala black so i am just giddy at the chance to hit this bad boy. you guys are getting me fired up for sure. it's been a while since i've hit a hybrid, it'll be nice to dip my toe back in those waters with a Mashie.

I do have Mashie fever now! I am in the same boat as JB and want another Mashie in my bag!

Edit: I don't think I would be as intimidated with the 18* as I am with my 3w.

the shaft is obviously a big part, but the shaft is not what causes the pleasant sound, or lack there of, that we are all enjoying. The make-up of the head of the club has to do with that. I think the engineers at Cleveland just got it right with this one.

interesting! thanks for the replies fellas. so basically, everything about this club is just good. sounds like a winning package to me. no doubt that cleveland will make a huge splash in 2011, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that they are willing to put an upgraded shaft in their product.

it begs to ask the question, do you see other OEM's following suit? could be tough for them imo, mostly b/c miyazaki and cleveland operate under the same rooftop (kind of). perhaps they are using this to their advantage. whatever it is, i like it.

good stuff guys, really. this has been a fun thread to follow so far.

I do have Mashie fever now! I am in the same boat as JB and want another Mashie in my bag!

Edit: I don't think I would be as intimidated with the 18* as I am with my 3w.

I agree with that bold part. The Mashie is super easy to hit and we all know the 3W can be a challenge at times. Damn all this Mashie love really has me wanting one or three.

I agree with that bold part. The Mashie is super easy to hit and we all know the 3W can be a challenge at times. Damn all this Mashie love really has me wanting one or three.

i have no doubt that it's driving you nuts! from the first day at the outing, you've been hooked dude. in due time my friend.

I have a feeling that KellyBo will have two or three of these bad boys in the bag by the end of January. I am getting all giddy like a dawg in heat just thinking about the 15.5 mashie. I bet that dawg will hunt :golf2:.... Cleveland Golf has raised the bar with this new hybrid:thumb:.. Really good posts here and very informative. Looking forward to the long term reviews on this amazing club.

Edit: KellyBo said the clubs (Mashies) will not be officially out until they are released so that's when she will be gaming two or three of them.

Last edited:
The shaft is a huge part of the performance, but the head is nice too. I like how it sets up to the ball and the sound/feel is really great for a hybrid.

Question for the testers: I found that (on cold days) the Mashie could be a little harsh on my hands for thin shots and toe shots. Anybody else experience the same thing?

The shaft is a huge part of the performance, but the head is nice too. I like how it sets up to the ball and the sound/feel is really great for a hybrid.

Question for the testers: I found that (on cold days) the Mashie could be a little harsh on my hands for thin shots and toe shots. Anybody else experience the same thing?

It was about 45 degrees today and I didn't notice harshness. I will see on Friday when I play earlier in the day.

Just on the toe shots for me. Its not terribly bad, But I can definitely feel the difference. Which I should for hitting that poor of a shot. I mean its not like it hurts my hands real bad, but its more of a hey moron dont hit it here or its not going to feel that good. lol

I got some stinging in the fingers when I hit poor shots in the cold. Same with my irons though. Just curious if there was anybody else that noticed it.

Just on the toe shots for me. Its not terribly bad, But I can definitely feel the difference. Which I should for hitting that poor of a shot. I mean its not like it hurts my hands real bad, but its more of a hey moron dont hit it here or its not going to feel that good. lol

Agreed. It's good feedback, which is kind of rare (in my experience) with hybrids.

I completely agree Hawk. And Ive hit some on the toe and it definitely resonates.

TC, I think the shaft really really helps. The feel during takeaway and downswing are phenominal. Impact its felt too. The head is amazing too. Clevelans hit a home run on all parts of this club imo. Im even digging the stock grip. I dont want to mess with the set up by doing an aftermarket grip lol
Agreed. It's good feedback, which is kind of rare (in my experience) with hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking the mashie out for some more range time today. Course is still pretty wet with all the rain we got, so instead of hitting mud balls all day figured id get some more mashie time in on the range.

For any of the testers:

How does the Mashie compare to the Adams Super Black Hybrid?

For any of the testers:

How does the Mashie compare to the Adams Super Black Hybrid?

Sorry SMG I have never hit the Super Black. I do know that OEM used to have a super black and he has also hit the mashie so maybe he could help out here. Im also pretty sure that JB has hit the super black and could help you out to.

Back