Cobra KING Tour Irons with MIM Technology

:unsure:..... not a fan of this.
I kinda feel like this is where I may be at with the T100S irons. This kinda reminds me to more seriously consider a blade combo setup for my '21 irons.
The feedback on each strike does so much for me, me thinks. I remember playing the MP68s a number of years ago and I could immediately tell you where the ball was going off the face. With the T100S irons that is a very challenging proposition for me.
Fwiw, I’ve had no strike location issues, and I’m coming from Miura CB57’s to these

I hate to be the negative Nancy but I have to ask...I don't see the intrigue here. MIM is inferior to forging and unless the molds are replaced frequently the tolerances get out of whack. As a process MIM is more similar to casting than forging, which isn't necessarily a bag thing, but it needs to be brought up. I believe that's one of the reasons chatter is much less on these than forged clubs. I have zero doubt these are awesome right now, but what happens if the same molds are used to produce 5000 heads? That's when I think there will be a difference from set to set. Just thinking out loud and in the future...
I do not have enough knowledge to know one way or the other, so I ask sincerely, what is it about a MIM process that is inferior to forging? What raises a red flag that there is not adequate quality control to ensure proper tolerances?

:unsure:..... not a fan of this.
I kinda feel like this is where I may be at with the T100S irons. This kinda reminds me to more seriously consider a blade combo setup for my '21 irons.
The feedback on each strike does so much for me, me thinks. I remember playing the MP68s a number of years ago and I could immediately tell you where the ball was going off the face. With the T100S irons that is a very challenging proposition for me.
I am not nearly the ball striker that @OldandStiff is, but I can certainly tell whether my miss was heel, toe, thin or fat. Maybe his misses are so close to the sweet spot that it becomes less perceptible.

Back in January, we got a look at the new Cobra KING Tour irons with MIM technology at the PGA Show. Then a couple of months later, a pandemic happened that changed the landscape of the golf industry. Today, these irons that have been often discussed, but not available, become official. Oh i just saw this picture. Those look nice, thats not really a cavity back, its similar to what i have but those probably go further given that mine are from 2012

Continue reading...
are these the blade or the mini cavity back ones?

it was a lot harder to tell exactly where on the face I was.

I've read comments like this before about irons and I can't say I've ever hit an iron where it was difficult to tell where on the face it was hit. There's a good chance maybe I'm not as in tune with ball strikes but it's always interesting when I see that comment.

I am not nearly the ball striker that @OldandStiff is, but I can certainly tell whether my miss was heel, toe, thin or fat. Maybe his misses are so close to the sweet spot that it becomes less perceptible.
Could be. I plan to try these for sure

I hate to be the negative Nancy but I have to ask...I don't see the intrigue here. MIM is inferior to forging and unless the molds are replaced frequently the tolerances get out of whack. As a process MIM is more similar to casting than forging, which isn't necessarily a bag thing, but it needs to be brought up. I believe that's one of the reasons chatter is much less on these than forged clubs. I have zero doubt these are awesome right now, but what happens if the same molds are used to produce 5000 heads? That's when I think there will be a difference from set to set. Just thinking out loud and in the future...
Inferior in what way? I won’t pretend to know anything about the manufacturing process. But, why do the mills break down?

I've read comments like this before about irons and I can't say I've ever hit an iron where it was difficult to tell where on the face it was hit. There's a good chance maybe I'm not as in tune with ball strikes but it's always interesting when I see that comment.

Just gonna quote myself on this

Highly individual and probably nitpicky complaints:

Feedback. That amazing feeling came at a bit of a cost for me. This is something that I'm sure people will disagree with, but it's individual perspective based, and compared to some others I've tried recently it was a lot harder to tell exactly where on the face I was. Not bad as a whole, but not as good. Kind of the opposite of how the ZX7 impressed me on that. TPU doing its job maybe a tad too good for my taste, but no big deal.

I'm sure it's my failing, and like I said to @DNice26 I think familiarity with feels plays a role. Compared to what I've been playing lately though, harder. I notice the difference in that between all my irons.

Inferior in what way? I won’t pretend to know anything about the manufacturing process. But, why do the mills break down?
There aren't mills. MIM = Metal Injected Molding. The molds fall out of spec and unless replaced often it's inferior to forging. Ask Voshall next time he's here.

There aren't mills. MIM = Metal Injected Molding. The molds fall out of spec and unless replaced often it's inferior to forging. Ask Voshall next time he's here.
Auto correct got me. I meant molds. I trust that was taken into account when they decided to produce them this way and if they need to use new molds, they’ll do so.

As I previously mentioned, I am not educated enough on the process to opine, but I would say that I see no basis to assert that the quality control is insufficient to ensure that the molds retain spec or are replaced when they “fall out of spec.” I also would like to know why you believe that a MIM process is inferior to a forging. Isn’t there also a spectrum of forging quality, as well as the process to create a forging? To me, one could argue that a MIM process is superior to a forging. Again, though, you likely know much more than I, but I love to learn knew things and would welcome your thoughts beyond mere conclusory statements.

Just gonna quote myself on this

I'm sure it's my failing, and like I said to @DNice26 I think familiarity with feels plays a role. Compared to what I've been playing lately though, harder. I notice the difference in that between all my irons.
My statement was not a criticism, but a compliment. Some are able to perceive tiny differences in feedback (or lack thereof) that escape me. On such a spectrum, the stories are legendary regarding Tiger’s ability to perceive infinitesimal differences in various pieces of the same equipment.

Honestly, would you expect Mizuno to say anything other than it’s inferior though?

My statement was not a criticism, but a compliment. Some are able to perceive tiny differences in feedback (or lack thereof) that escape me. On such a spectrum, the stories are legendary regarding Tiger’s ability to perceive infinitesimal differences in various pieces of the same equipment.
Oh, I didn't take it as a criticism. I usually know where you come from with things.

I'm excited to take them back out, because the feeling is pretty addicting with them. Since I just did a stick drill in front of the mirror for the first time in what feels like forever, I might need to benefit from some of their forgiveness too. lol

Last edited:
So many awesome reviews that mention how good these feel to go along with good looks and then Cobra tops it off with excellent durability. Yes I’m one of those weirdos that doesn’t like a bunch of chatter but likes the feel of soft forged irons so these sound like they were made for me. Could be one reason I loved the Ping iblades as much as I did

I do not pretend to be an expert in manufacturing processes. I can say for certain that “nothing feels like a Mizuno” has been surpassed by MIM from Cobra.

I do not pretend to be an expert in manufacturing processes. I can say for certain that “nothing feels like a Mizuno” has been surpassed by MIM from Cobra.
I honestly am not perceptive enough to be able to discern small differences. I played MIzuno MP20 MMCs for several months before getting these in my hands and to me, they both feel awesome. I can absolutely confirm, though, that as @Jman has stated, They are as indestructable as any iron out there. That combination is freakish.

Buddy can't handle the shafts in mine, but said 'you can hear how good those feel' after being next to me on this little one, so hopefully it's a good real world sound example for them. Looped it a few times for effect. It's hard to separate the sound and feel awesomeness once you've actually felt them, but I thought it was pretty cool he said that having never hit them. Feels like the sound sticks to them for just an extra microsecond, and it is really pleasing in hand.

OldandStiff
Sounds like pure butter.
I'm wanting to bit them but right now it looks like stiff & regular steel shafts only. I too used to softer graphite shacts.

OldandStiff
Sounds like pure butter.
I'm wanting to bit them but right now it looks like stiff & regular steel shafts only. I too used to softer graphite shacts.
Yeah, I don't love their stock options either. It looks like you can get Recoil 95's for about $15 extra per iron, but it also looks like everything is backordered. 😕

OldandStiff
Sounds like pure butter.
I ordered mine with Recoil 110s. So, when you say only steel shafts are available, are you meaning for demo purposes?

I ordered mine with Recoil 110s. So, when you say only steel shafts are available, are you meaning for demo purposes?
Looking on their web page I only saw steel shafts, didn't see a "custom" area either.

Looking on their web page I only saw steel shafts, didn't see a "custom" area either.
You have to go to the order link. There, it will give you a tab called “product configuration,” which gives you the option of stock or custom. Right now, it looks like all custom sets are on back order, but there are several SteelFiber options and Recoil in either 95 or 110.

Back