Dent's Driver Shootout 2011

Congrats on the new big dog dent and great write up thanx.

I tried the Machspeed Black with the Project X 6.0 shaft at a demo day recently and loved the way it felt.
Unfortunately, the PS 6.0 isn't a stock shaft for it. Not even sure why they had them all with that shaft at the demo day?

I really like the machspeed but I'm quite surprised it was one of the longest for you, never found that in my testing, it was pretty forgiving but never really the longest. It's always nice to find a club that matches you though, good luck with the purchase!

**Also posted in equipment pondering, was so long I thought I'd make my own thread for questions.

Callaway RAZR Hawk

Usually not a fan of the solid feeling Callaway delivers I had been recently intrigued by the feeling of the compact feeling this driver gives through long term testing. This driver gives a solid "thud" in your hands when struck nicely. I had been playing this driver on the course for a while and sadly got NO distance from this thing. The history I had with this driver made me toss this one to the side for later. Also the fact that I am stubborn and couldn't see myself playing Callaway. Numbers were good, but this thing just didn't WOW me.

(Can't remember numbers)

Adams 9064LS

I started off with this driver first and was pretty excited to hit it after long term testing at the course as well with this thing. I believe this one is an older model but still a goody. At address this is hands down the nicest looking driver on the market today. When this thing is in my hands I just glow with confidence. The shape of this driver is taller than it is wide and I actually really like it. It has a huge face and I have always been a fan of the black face. I have nothing but good interaction with the Aldila RIP shaft as well. This was the 2nd or 3rd best feeling driver that I tried today, but it was not producing the distance that the other drivers I tried were.

Launch: 11-14*
Spin: 3700-4100RPM
Distance (tot.): 245-265

Nike Machspeed Black

A little disappointed that I couldn't find a driver that I absolutely loved but satisfied and ready to put the Nike VR on order I took a quick look at the Machspeed Black driver before I walked out. I couldn't see myself playing it because of the larger size but when I put it in my hands it just looked and felt great. The grip is something else and has a bit of spikey/rough feeling to it. I felt like I could just bomb the thing ironically because of the larger head. I took it to the simulator and the first drive was just RIPPED. It only took me 6 balls to realize this is the driver I want. Only 6 balls and it was sold. I hit all 6 with a small baby draw, nice flight and all consistent distances and numbers. I take a look at the tape and I hit them all in the exact same spot. It looked like I only hit 1 ball. The feel is SUPER soft and responsive. I prefer all my clubs to deliver the softest feeling I can get and this suits me perfectly. Shot dispersion was minimal and the numbers were just flat out impressive. The feel is something I still can't get over sitting at home here.

Launch: 10-12*
Spin (avg.): 3129RPM
Distances: 294,288,283,297,281,279.

You couldn't get any distance with the RAZR Hawk? When I demo'ed it, I gained almost 15 yards over my Nike Machspeed (215-230). Also, my shot dispersion was tighter with the RAZR. Although this might have been because of the smaller head size on the original Machspeed, whereas the M.S. Black has a larger head, I believe?

Now I'm intrigued. I didn't even have the Machspeed on my list. I'm anxious to hear what you find out on shaft options though. I don't think I can manage with a Fubuki set up with 6.9* (not a typo, yes 6.9*) of torque.

I'm hitting this later today to see how I like the feel.

Great testing Dent. Glad you found your driver. Good luck with the new stick!

Love the look of the Machspeed and should have tested one. I went the exact opposite as I found one of those too good to pass deals on a 2.0 about a month ago and have mixed thoughts. I'm going to try a new and shorter shaft in it. Keeps us informed how the Machspeed works for you.

Very nice write up you did. I think you found the right one for you, and I hope it finds nothing but fairways and maybe even greens! Congrats on the new driver!

Nice write up. I've tested the Machspeed too, but didn't like the look of adjustable hosel at address. Seemed kinda bulky to me. Titleist 910 D2 is a great driver IMO.

Did you test these drivers for mis-hits? also, I think golf shop simulators are "inflated" for lack of a better word. Feel & accuracy is more important.

Thanks to Dent's fine review I went to the shop and hit this driver on their simulator last night. For a long time.

My numbers are nearly the same as Dent's with it:

Club MPH-100-105
Ball MPH-145-160
Spin-3000-3100
Launch-10-11*
Distance 275-285, with a few more and few less. After 40 balls the average was 278.

Most shocking is that I love the factory shaft, despite the specs saying it is the worst fit in history for me. It flat worked and in a regular flex!

Hitting it 1 more time this afternoon at the range. If it goes the same way, I'm buying it on the spot and putting it into play.

Now I'm intrigued. I didn't even have the Machspeed on my list. I'm anxious to hear what you find out on shaft options though. I don't think I can manage with a Fubuki set up with 6.9* (not a typo, yes 6.9*) of torque.

I'm hitting this later today to see how I like the feel.

Thanks to Dent's fine review I went to the shop and hit this driver on their simulator last night. For a long time.

My numbers are nearly the same as Dent's with it:

Club MPH-100-105
Ball MPH-145-160
Spin-3000-3100
Launch-10-11*
Distance 275-285, with a few more and few less. After 40 balls the average was 278.

Most shocking is that I love the factory shaft, despite the specs saying it is the worst fit in history for me. It flat worked and in a regular flex!

Hitting it 1 more time this afternoon at the range. If it goes the same way, I'm buying it on the spot and putting it into play.

This goes back to something that a shaft expert said on the THP Radio show. Torque is the most overused term for consumers when in reality it will affect so few. Add to that the measurements of the torque are even screwier across the industry and many should worry even less about it.

Nice writeup. Thanks. Enjoy the new stick.

Though I must say that your testing was incomplete since it did not include the Srixon Z-Star driver, which is obviously superior to all others. :D

Congrats on finding a driver Dent and a great write up to boot. The Black's numbers were very impressive and I hope you found a permanent fixture for the bag.

Hit it again today at a different golf shop and found the same results, but better. Bought a 9.5 with regular shaft.

I owe Mr. Dent a cold beer or beverage of his choice.

Nice to see you found the same results 4's. I actually did order the driver yesterday with the Aldila RIP shaft upgrade because I have been a big fan of this shaft. While I don't think the shaft would have affected me much I just went with a nice upgrade just incase. I am hoping to get it soon and then will update this thread with some more info on it. Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

I have the Nike MS Black Square with the stock regular shaft & think it is a very nice driver. I cut mine down an inch so it is only 44.75" long.

Just for gee-whiz...does cutting down the shaft make it stiffer or change the swing weight?

Nice write Dent, glad to hear you found a driver you like! Let us know how it goes once you take it to the course.

I have the Nike MS Black Square with the stock regular shaft & think it is a very nice driver. I cut mine down an inch so it is only 44.75" long.

Just for gee-whiz...does cutting down the shaft make it stiffer or change the swing weight?

I am not 100% sure but I do believe it makes the shaft a tad stiffer. Nothing noticeable though.

My R11 plays to only 43.5" with a Diamana BB Stiff in it and I can't tell too much difference at all in it. It feels a bit more stable and less whippy but still really kicks into the ball like any other S flex and even some stiffer playing R flexes. Distance loss was non existent as I am always near the sweet spot now instead of banging em' off the toe with an extra 1-2 mph of SS from the longer shafts.

Edit: trying to help with bobgeorge's shaft question.

My R11 plays to only 33.5" with a Diamana BB Stiff in it and I can't tell too much difference at all in it. It feels a bit more stable and less whippy but still really kicks into the ball like any other S flex and even some stiffer playing R flexes. Distance loss was non existent as I am always near the sweet spot now instead of banging em' off the toe with an extra 1-2 mph of SS from the longer shafts.

Whoa...Really? Im assuming that is a typo.

Dent: I hope you like your Machspeed Black as much as I like mine! Congrats...when you go all 'black'...can you go back?? :D

One thing...do you have the square or round version? I have the square version, but I rarely see it in the stores anymore. Probably because most people can't get over the shape. I think for OEMs square is a phase that has passed on. Will white drivers fad away in a few years also?

Thanks guys for the shaft answers also!

Dent: I hope you like your Machspeed Black as much as I like mine! Congrats...when you go all 'black'...can you go back?? :D

One thing...do you have the square or round version? I have the square version, but I rarely see it in the stores anymore. Probably because most people can't get over the shape. I think for OEMs square is a phase that has passed on. Will white drivers fad away in a few years also?

Thanks guys for the shaft answers also!

I went with the round version bob. I found even the round one to be pretty big for my liking, but I'll get used to it.

Back