Do You Use/Hit a Water Ball

Do You Use/Hit a Water Ball

• Yes Always

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • No Never

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 36 36.4%
  • Only when im playing an expensive ball.

Votes: 9 9.1%

• Total voters

rrpruett

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok I got to thinking, I wonder how many people take that old water ball out of the bag when having to hit over some water on a par 3.
We have a hole at our club that has lots of water to carry and on occasion ill take out that older e6 and hit it instead of the new one.

So how many of you put that $3.00 ball in your pocket and take out the WATER BALL.

There is another thread on this but i can't seem to find it right now. I hit my regular ball for every shot, to me pulling out a water ball leads to no confidence and indescision.

The only thing I do now and then is pick a ball that is maybe a little more beat up but I still play the same brand & model.

There is another thread on this but i can't seem to find it right now. I hit my regular ball for every shot, to me pulling out a water ball leads to no confidence and indescision.

Sorry I searched for one but could not find one. Im sure someone will let me know.

thanks

Yup. I am not about to throw away a 3 bucker if I shank it. Besides, a distance ball can help on those long carries. I do not see it as a confidence thing, it is a financial thing.

I have played a water ball on the first hole a few times. There is a creek right in front of the tee box that I've been know to blast my drives into and it sucks when it's a new ball. Sometimes I'll play one on the 9th, not so much a water ball but a combination of a water ball and don't play a yellow ball. If I drive it to the right then the yellow ball gets lost/hard to find in the other range balls that have made it out on the course. Then the approach is over water, even though I've put a lot of balls in the pond I don't worry about it too much since I've usually gotten 7 to 8 good holes out of it anyway.

A golfer, now into his golden years, had a lifelong ambition to play the 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Verde, Fla., exactly the way the pros do it.

The pros drive the ball out over the water onto the small green that is on a small spit of land. It was something the golfer had tried hundreds of times without success. His ball had always fallen short, into the water.

Because of this, he never used a new ball on this particular hole. He always picked out one that had a cut or a nick, as did many other "average" golfers when negotiating very challenging holes.

Recently he went to Sawgrass to try again. When he came to the fateful hole, he teed up an old, cut ball as usual, and said a silent prayer.

However, before he could hit the ball, a powerful voice from above seemed to be booming out from the clouds, saying:

"Wait! Replace that old ball with a brand new one."

The golfer complied, with some slight misgivings, despite the fact that this same force seemed to be implying that he was going to finally achieve his lifelong ambition.

As he stepped up to the tee once more, the voice came down again:

"Wait. Step back. Take a practice swing."

So he stepped back and took a practice swing, certain now that this heavenly force was going to make his dream come true.

The voice boomed out again:

"Take another practice swing."

Dutifully, he did. He stopped expectantly and waited ...

A long silence followed ...

Then the voice again:

"Use the old ball."

No, never. If you do you've lost before you even start. Gotta have confidence you're going to hit it over the water!

I used to pull a clunker ball when I had a water shot and I suppose I still might if I had a really long forced carry (on the edge of driver carry). But that was also back when I played what ever I found. Now, I like the confidence of playing the same ball all the time even though that seems to be changing a lot since I joined THP!

Gamer
Gamer V2
E5
TM Blind test
E6 Yellow
E5 again
Now I want to try out the
B330RX which I was fitted for as well as the Srixon Z-Star

This place seems to cost me a ton of money! A water ball is the least of my budgetary concerns.

On "water holes" I often tee off with "yesterdays" ball and put the new ball on the tee at the dry holes. Always the same brand and model just different experience.
I get it, you figure since he stayed out of the water yesterday during the round he must be afraid of the water. I like it. :clapp:

I dont. I feel it would make me think its ok to hit into the water, leading to a poor shot.

I think Jack Nicklaus said something to the affect of use a new/expensive ball when hitting over water. It will give you more incentive to get it over.
I never change balls due to circumstances, I believe that is a rule of golf (unless the ball is damaged).

I used to do change balls until I figured out that it didn't help-THEY ALL SINK!

I did last time but intentionally. It was a 135 yard Par 3. Nobody behind me so I grabbed 3 crappy balls in my bag. Teed off with a sand wedge and drowned them all "just to get it out of my system".

Rule is to play the same brand/type through the round and the same ball through the hole. Changing balls between holes is allowed and, in cold weather, recommended (keep the extra ball warm in your pocket)
I think Jack Nicklaus said something to the affect of use a new/expensive ball when hitting over water. It will give you more incentive to get it over.
I never change balls due to circumstances, I believe that is a rule of golf (unless the ball is damaged).

Last edited:
I try not to think about water at all. We have a hole where you have to leave your bag and walk back to the tees. I always used to put a second ball in my pocket just in case the first flew off into the woods. I stopped doing that too.

it all depends on how im swinging that day
crappy swing brings out the crappy ball

Never. It's like admitting defeat to me. I'm planning on making it over. Doesn't always work out that way, but I'm not giving up in advance.

Only if it is a test shot to see if I can carry the water to a certain point. If I am playing a planned shot then no.

Until January of this year, I did on every water hole because I had a block in my head that I couldn't get a ball over the water. But, something happened in January and I just started ignoring the water. I haven't used a water ball in any of my rounds in the past three months. I guess I'm not scared of water anymore. Now sand...that is a hole other thing

Back