Driver vs Mini Driver

Never thought about it this way. Makes so much sense though!

This is something I'm going to do post MC with an old ladies Amp Cell head, set it to 14*, shaft to play about 42" or something in that realm, and get it swing weighted properly. Could be good for some laughs if nothing else!

This is something I'm going to do post MC with an old ladies Amp Cell head, set it to 14*, shaft to play about 42" or something in that realm, and get it swing weighted properly. Could be good for some laughs if nothing else!

This is so far up my alley. I gotta try it. Already have a stock stiff shaft from a R1 I could use....just need a head.

I can only hope it's an awesome color like sky blue or pink!

This is so far up my alley. I gotta try it. Already have a stock stiff shaft from a R1 I could use....just need a head.

I miiiiiiiight steal Amanda's AC head and just give it back when she plays, which likely won't be anytime soon.

Havent tried one, nor have I had the desire, I need all the forgiveness I can get

Havent tried one, nor have I had the desire, I need all the forgiveness I can get

My take as well, that's why I'm going to tinker with the driver head. It'll be short lived, but it will sure be fun.

I'm not a huge fan of the mini driver, personally. Nothing wrong with them, at all, it's just I'd rather have a little more forgiveness off the tee than what those clubs give me. If I'm wanting to give myself the same feel, then I just grip down an inch on my driver and swing easier.

I stopped playing a driver a few months ago for 2 reasons. 1) I am incredibly inconsistent with it and it kills my round and 2) I hate looking down at a 460cc head. To remedy this, I picked up an old TM 300ti head a bit ago for next to nothing. Going to give this 300cc head a shot shafted with a steel x100 or possibly a bimatrix x stiff shaft. The last drier I hit well had the Bimatrix so I may give that shaft another chance to shine. I hit my 7w about 240-250 pretty easily off the tee and my home course doesn't call for more than that.

Not a chance. Less forgiveness.
If I want to change to something to add accuracy, take a regular driver in the same loft as that mini and shorten the shaft. You will get the same thing you are seeing with more forgiveness.

I know you do this for a living, but once again I'm impressed how quickly you come in, boil the issue down its essence, and give a practical way to begin thinking through it.

My take as well, that's why I'm going to tinker with the driver head. It'll be short lived, but it will sure be fun.

I play with a couple of scratch guys, and even they say they want all the forgiveness they can get out of equipment geared for their performance level.

One of them made an insightful comment one time: "amateurs and mid/high handicappers are always trying to get into less and less forgiving gear to try and prove something to themselves. It's odd, but it's an epidemic. Par players don't have that obsession. We simply want to hit the best and most forgiving shots we can at out skill level. So I need to work the ball and get distance, but if I could get that 9/10 times with a frozen marshmallow on the end of a tire iron, I'd do it and never buy another club."

I'm not a huge fan of the mini driver, personally. Nothing wrong with them, at all, it's just I'd rather have a little more forgiveness off the tee than what those clubs give me. If I'm wanting to give myself the same feel, then I just grip down an inch on my driver and swing easier.

I think some of these "Mini Drivers" are being marked so as people think they are driver replacments when they should market them as for use off the tee fro distance control and accuracy

I think some of these "Mini Drivers" are being marked so as people think they are driver replacments when they should market them as for use off the tee fro distance control and accuracy

That is technically on only TaylorMade right? Arent they the only company that has a "mini driver"?

Why not just dump fairway woods all together? Play multiple drivers at different lengths?

Why not just dump fairway woods all together? Play multiple drivers at different lengths?

Because people hit fairway woods more than just off the tee?

I was actually thinking this a few hours ago.

Give me a normal driver (m3) then a 12-14* driver at 42 or 43" before going into 3 hybrid.

Could be looking at 235-240 with driver and 215-220 with 2nd driver.

Give me a normal driver (m3) then a 12-14* driver at 42 or 43" before going into 3 hybrid.

Like JB said tho, are you guys going to hit those drivers off the deck? That would be bad news for me haha! I need 3w for that

Because people hit fairway woods more than just off the tee?

Cookie picked up on what I was saying.

I rarely hit fairway woods off the deck, as in, never. So why not dump fairway woods, play multiple drivers and different lights (more forgiveness is better) and then go straight to hybrids.

Cookie- I would be interested to see how this setup would work for you.

Like JB said tho, are you guys going to hit those drivers off the deck? That would be bad news for me haha! I need 3w for that

As I and many others have said in between the mocking of mini drivers and they are pointless, some of us don't hit fairway woods off the deck, so why not get more tee only options that offer more forgiveness than a smaller 3w, 5w, etc.

Cookie picked up on what I was saying.

I rarely hit fairway woods off the deck, as in, never. So why not dump fairway woods, play multiple drivers and different lights (more forgiveness is better) and then go straight to hybrids.

Cookie- I would be interested to see how this setup would work for you.

I know a guy at a major OEM that does this very thing. Has a 10.5 and a 12* (set to 13). One is 45" and the other is 42.5".
In some ways I think the Cleveland Mashie FW did this very thing by making a FW that was closer in shape to a hybrid giving the mental confidence to pick it up and give it a go.

Absolutely not.

I don't play fairway woods at all. I can hit a 2h decently but am interested in what a high lofted shortened driver could do off the tee for hitting that tweener yardage. I'm content with 200 off deck with 3h, any longer I likely shouldn't be trying.

I know a guy at a major OEM that does this very thing. Has a 10.5 and a 12* (set to 13). One is 45" and the other is 42.5".
In some ways I think the Cleveland Mashie FW did this very thing by making a FW that was closer in shape to a hybrid giving the mental confidence to pick it up and give it a go.

And the Mashie FWs were A LOT larger (face, shape) than just about any other fairway I have ever played. also one of the best I have ever gamed.

I gotcha, makes total sense. Definitely no sense in carrying a club you don't use.

And the Mashie FWs were A LOT larger (face, shape) than just about any other fairway I have ever played. also one of the best I have ever gamed.

Agreed, I think its why I was so successful with it, its actually what put a fairway wood back into my bag looking back.

As I and many others have said in between the mocking of mini drivers and they are pointless, some of us don't hit fairway woods off the deck, so why not get more tee only options that offer more forgiveness than a smaller 3w, 5w, etc.

I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I'm seriously going to do this after the Cup. 10.5 or 11 degree driver and then a 14 degree driver at 42". If I'm not going to hit my 3w off the deck it makes sense to try.

Back