Drone Videos and Rules of Golf

Absolutely. Just shows how easily someone could break a rule and not even know it.

I didn't even know that was a rule. I guess with as much time as I spend reading and posting about the game I could take the time to learn the rules

I played in a junior tournament a LOT (ug) of years ago and part of the match was a rules test. Test? On the weekend? In the summer? I thought golf was supposed to be fun AND take place outside. It was open book and all, but we were one of the few teams to score well and that helped us win the team portion. But good grief, even with the book in front of me, it took forever. Also, It's shocking how scared the tour pros are to even breathe on their ball before Rules gets there, even if they are on the cart path or something (seemingly) simple to take a drop from, they won't make a move without the rules official holding their hand.

I've talked about this rule a lot at events. Partly to help inform, and partly because I think it's a really funny conversation starter. Only once did it ever upset my playing partner or opponents, and all the other ones it lead to a nice lighthearted laugh about how obscenely stupid some of the rules of golf can be.

I think this is a really nice sample of what makes THP events so great. I would be decent money that regardless of the outcome, and regardless of who was playing, a rule like this would never factor into a THP event. A slap on the wrist or some smack talk? Of course!!!! But we're all at different levels of golf, and most of the 'vets' recognize that and build a great path for the rest to follow.

Great question cnosil! I actually had a good laugh about the same thing this morning!

If the time is willing,I would love to attend a thp event.But I'm not one to take gimmes and will play all my shots out.Maybe I might offend,but this is the only way I will improve going forward.If I slowed down a thp group behind me I would just wave them thru.And when people gave me gimmes in the past I felt so rushed and uncomfortable.Hope I can attend one and have a good old time

If the time is willing,I would love to attend a thp event.But I'm not one to take gimmes and will play all my shots out.Maybe I might offend,but this is the only way I will improve going forward.If I slowed down a thp group behind me I would just wave them thru.And when people gave me gimmes in the past I felt so rushed and uncomfortable.Hope I can attend one and have a good old time

Chip, there are plenty of ways to play at a good pace that don't involve picking up on the greens. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Drone Videos and Rules of Golf

Groups don't get "waved thru" at THP events.

Pace of play is important, if someone gives you a putt, the hole is over, regardless if you putt it out or not.

Gimmes? We don't do that even in our regular weekly play but I guess it makes sense if pace of play is slow.

Yet all the big money games that take place the day before the opening round of PGA tournaments they are given all the time.

Gimmes? We don't do that even in our regular weekly play but I guess it makes sense if pace of play is slow.

It's match play. It's part of the game.

Match play its up to your opponent to determine when you finish.

I will apologize in advance if my comment is rude BUT if I am out at an event, and you are participating and you aren't following the THP rules and taking or giving gimme's and your group is holding up the entire course, you better believe I will say something to you over and over and over again. If I have the course rangers, head pro and other staff members in my ear about how our group is slowing down their course, I will take issue with the people causing the slow down.

Again, I apologize if that came off rude, but I just want to make sure it's very clear how THP events work. Just like if I see someone leave their cart with their range finder and walk from the cart path to the middle of the fairway and NOT bring their clubs, they will hear from me. Pace of play is extremely important in THP events. We often have dinners planned after the round and people need time to finish their round and shower so they can make it in time for dinner. But most importantly, we have to respect the course and their rules of pace of play. If they have a normal pace of 4 hours and we are taking 5, you better believe they won't be happy, and chances are we wouldn't be invited back. That hurts everyone.

I will apologize in advance if my comment is rude BUT if I am out at an event, and you are participating and you aren't following the THP rules and taking or giving gimme's and your group is holding up the entire course, you better believe I will say something to you over and over and over again. If I have the course rangers, head pro and other staff members in my ear about how our group is slowing down their course, I will take issue with the people causing the slow down.

Again, I apologize if that came off rude, but I just want to make sure it's very clear how THP events work. Just like if I see someone leave their cart with their range finder and walk from the cart path to the middle of the fairway and NOT bring their clubs, they will hear from me. Pace of play is extremely important in THP events. We often have dinners planned after the round and people need time to finish their round and shower so they can make it in time for dinner. But most importantly, we have to respect the course and their rules of pace of play. If they have a normal pace of 4 hours and we are taking 5, you better believe they won't be happy, and chances are we wouldn't be invited back. That hurts everyone.

I was cutting it a bit close on Sunday since Atlanta has massive security lines even when arriving over 90 minutes before your flight.

Damn straight that pace of play is important.

I was cutting it a bit close on Sunday since Atlanta has massive security lines even when arriving over 90 minutes before your flight.

Damn straight that pace of play is important.

And the crew was fantastic this weekend. Every single person. We fell behind a couple of times, every team brought it back together and finished on pace or close.
We will continue to do a better job of making sure the formats are conducive to this as well.

I want to apologize for starting this thread. It was a serious question to understand the atmosphere of a THP event. I know the intent is to have fun and spend time with THPers and find out how serious people are with regards to the rules as I know that everyone has different knowledge levels of the rules.

Again, if I offended anyone, I am sorry.

I think it's a totally legit question, whether you have played in an official THP event or not. I'm glad you asked.

And the crew was fantastic this weekend. Every single person. We fell behind a couple of times, every team brought it back together and finished on pace or close.
We will continue to do a better job of making sure the formats are conducive to this as well.

You guys do a great job keeping us on pace. As matches tighten up we definitely slow down as we look at putts longer, analyze shots more, look a bit harder for a hard to find ball. AS on the back 9 of day 2 definitely helps to get things moving also.

To go with the rules form, being fairly new to competitive golf, what are some of the common rules that are held that people don't seem to realize playing with their friends? I try to follow the rules but I know there are probably some rules that I didn't know of, or even think of (not touching the green about line definitely falls into that category). What are some of the rules that are definitely followed at THP events that I might not be aware of? Sorry if that's off topic and can move this to another thread if needed... I'm just going to my first THP event in April (yayyyyyy) and don't want to hurt my team by doing something I thought was ok, but in actuality was not.

It was a legit question, so no apology needed. It is a rule but I could careless even if his opponent was assisting, I would rather see a helping hand to improvement with 'good' intentions.

To go with the rules form, being fairly new to competitive golf, what are some of the common rules that are held that people don't seem to realize playing with their friends? I try to follow the rules but I know there are probably some rules that I didn't know of, or even think of (not touching the green about line definitely falls into that category). What are some of the rules that are definitely followed at THP events that I might not be aware of? Sorry if that's off topic and can move this to another thread if needed... I'm just going to my first THP event in April (yayyyyyy) and don't want to hurt my team by doing something I thought was ok, but in actuality was not.
Asking the team you are playing against what club they hit. You can ask them the yardage if they have a laser and you don't but not the actual club selection. I haven't been to an event yet but this is one of those things you do without even thinking about it.

Asking the team you are playing against what club they hit. You can ask them the yardage if they have a laser and you don't but not the actual club selection. I haven't been to an event yet but this is one of those things you do without even thinking about it.

I'd ask what Jeff/John spicoli hit so that I could go back to my bag and get 4 clubs more in order to match it. :D

I'd ask what Jeff/John spicoli hit so that I could go back to my bag and get 4 clubs more in order to match it. :D
haha I tend to do the opposite with my dad sometimes, if I notice he's hitting a 7 iron and hit goes pin high, I know an 8 iron is perfect for me... he is literally 1 club shorter than me exactly, I can't count how my times he hits a club (5i, 7i, 9i, etc) and I'm hitting one club lower (6i, 8i, pw) and our balls land right next to each other... his on the fairway mine a little right

I love this post. It's something that should be stated up front in no uncertain terms. I've never attended an official THP event, only a couple of informal outings, but pace of play should be near the top of any group's priorities. If I'm ever fortunate enough to be able to get to one of these events, I would do as I normally do and play to the group's preferences as long as the deviation from the rules isn't extreme.

Most of those here know that I'm strict with myself as far as playing by the rules, but I'm not a jerk about it with others. In a competition environment, I will tend to keep an eye on anyone I play with who is fairly new to competition, and if I see him seeming to be uncertain or about to make a mistake, I'll try to stop him before he makes it. If not I'll try and mention it tactfully at some point when it's convenient and let him decide if he wants to call it on himself. One way or another, I would mention it to the player at some point in the interest of education, not as a punitive measure.

After 22 years of competition in a men's club that plays 100% USGA rules, I find that I try to avoid any deviation from the rules in my own play aside from occasional pace of play considerations in casual rounds.

Easiest way to get to a THP Event is sign up and see how the cards fall
There is nothing else like them in the world and that includes how pace is handled.

Groups don't get "waved thru" at THP events.

Pace of play is important, if someone gives you a putt, the hole is over, regardless if you putt it out or not.
It was match play. Per rules of golf a concession cannot be refused.

You can still putt out assuming you are not slowing up the group behind but yeah I don't understand why you wouldn't want to take a putt given to you in match play. Just odd

So how about those drone videos...pretty cool

FYI, from the handicap rule book:
A player who starts, but does not complete a hole or is conceded a stroke must record for handicap purposes the most likely score. The most likely score may not exceed the player's Equitable Stroke Control limit, defined in Section 4-3. This most likely score should be preceded by an "X." (See Decision 4-1/1.)

I know this because my summer league can be extremely slow and we're always trying to speed up play within the rules.
There are a few examples if you follow the link.

Back