DST Compressor Review Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Some buzz out there on this one, even more now that a couple Tour players were spotted using it last week at Doral. Stay tuned as I put this to the test. Came too late to make it to the range with me today, but we'll get it put to work soon.

The DST Compressor Wedge warm up club comprises all aspects of the DST patent pending technology. The scientifically curved shaft replicates the shape of a normal shaft under its maximum load during impact, the DST Compressor forces you into a position where your hands lead the club face through impact and control it until after the ball has been struck. The curved shaft combined with the amended sole angle and Hand Position Alignment Marker (HPAM) enables you to locate a set up position and practice returning the club to the same position through impact every time. The DST Compressor forces you to feel the same movements and sensations as the greatest ball strikers in history and develop a repeatable, reliable movement through impact. The DST Compressor forces you to locate, train and perfect the optimal impact position.

You'll notice a couple things other than the obviously curved shaft. 1) a very wide sole and 2) a line that runs up the hosel. The sole allows the club to sit flush at the address spot and the line helps align the club up correctly with the eyes. Pretty cool stuff. Took a few swings on the practice mat and it seems like there might be something to it, but we'll wait and see.

DSCN6164-L.jpg

DSCN6166-L.jpg

DSCN6171-L.jpg

DSCN6167-L.jpg

DSCN6168-L.jpg

DSCN6169-L.jpg

DSCN6170-L.jpg

It still shocks me to see the bend in the shaft, it's almost like a gasp that the club is broken!

maybe i should watch the video, but can anyone break it down as to why they chose to go with a wedge instead of a mid-iron? just seems like i'm not as concerned with shaft lean on a wedge as i am with flipping my clubs with less loft?

• Staff
maybe i should watch the video, but can anyone break it down as to why they chose to go with a wedge instead of a mid-iron? just seems like i'm not as concerned with shaft lean on a wedge as i am with flipping my clubs with less loft?

There is an 8 iron version.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this training aid

That's a pretty interesting training club. I'd be interested in seeing it in hand, and maybe even taking swing or two with it. Looking forward to your review, Ryan.

• Staff
Well I've confirmed I can actually hit a golf ball with it.

Success! Hahaha

I want to try it, it's intriguing to me.

Good concept, and the line on the hosel is well done and I imagine quite necessary.

The question becomes, how does it feel when you make contact!

I heard that it floats as well! Does it? ;)

Had a Tour Striker a few years ago. Thought it was okay but eventually rid of it and got back into the flipping habit with the mid to long irons. Went ahead and ordered the DST Compressor 8 iron. I received it today and will take it to the range this week. Looks interesting but I imagine it will be very challenging to hit at first.

Ok, so let's talk DST Compressor. Certainly an interesting concept and I've watched all the videos behind it. This is a product that in theory should be perfect for me since I'm prone to flipping at impact. I've been working on a little more of a pivot based swing in the hopes that I can take some of this handsiness away in the downswing, so I guess you could say it came to me at a pretty convenient time.

First, I'm not 100% sure what to think about the setup position it encourages if we are talking all clubs in the bag. The hands sit very far forward. The way the club works is that you line up your hands with the mark on the grip, then set it so the sole is flush. From there, you basically set the hands very far forward (club points mid thigh for me) while making sure the line on the hosel aligns with the white line on the bottom of the club and then with our eyes. Seems to make you want to setup with some tilt away from the target at address, which is a fundamental I'm working on or have been working on.

I took a number of practice swings before I hit balls with and mostly short swings. Pitch shots I guess. Definitely takes a conscious effort to keep the club in front of your body and the hands in front of the club head. If it gets stuck behind you there's very little chance to get it back to the ball. There's a noticeable feeling when you're bringing the club through the right way. Almost as if you are dragging the club head behind the hands - well duh lol.

Laying a ball down after that made it relatively easy to get solid impact. What I noticed was a tendency to hit squirters and even the occasional shank if I resorted to flipping it (as I worked on a longer swing). Still though, a focus on a controlled pivot without letting myself get all disconnected resulted in pretty repeatable impact. From there I grabbed my own PW and was able to replicate the feeling until I felt myself get sloppy and then moved back to the DST. Eventually I tried to use longer clubs as well and it was pretty good, but I will say that I'm not 100% sure the setup position jives so well with the longer clubs. I just don't know that I feel right with so much lean at address with longer clubs. I'm no expert there, but I seem to remember my instructor and Freddie saying that a hybrid for example shouldn't be leaning so far target side at addres. In that case I wonder if just having the wedge is the best way to go about it or not. And I wonder is the 8 iron putting you in the same position as the wedge.

Those of you familiar with the Impact Ball or similar devices should know that I used both the DST and the IB at the same time yesterday and it was really just a very good practice session for me. Truly an excellent way to feel all the things I need to feel right now - hands in front of me, no flipping, turning all the way through, etc. I went to practice shortly afterwards at the course and it got me started off nicely. Feeling sort of faded as time went on. I had moments of regression and I had some setup issues with longer clubs at times, but in total it led to a pretty productive session.

More to come. I will stop short of making any conclusions here for awhile. Early thoughts are that I like the setup it encourages for shorter clubs especially and it certainly seemed to make me not want to flip it.

Im guessing that might be way they make an 8 iron as well.

Im guessing that might be way they make an 8 iron as well.

Yea I figure it's got to be similar at least. And really - I was happy with what I saw with a normal 8 iron in hand. It was more as the clubs got into longer irons and hybrids that it felt a little off to me.

Bump for any questions or suggestions on what you might like to see while I'm testing this.

Bump for any questions or suggestions on what you might like to see while I'm testing this.

Not really a question, but more just looking forward to observing this. Will it really allow you to make better hands forward contact? I am a bit skeptical of this thing, but if it works I could see myself getting one (provided they are made in LH)

Not really a question, but more just looking forward to observing this. Will it really allow you to make better hands forward contact? I am a bit skeptical of this thing, but if it works I could see myself getting one (provided they are made in LH)

I've thought about this a little, especially after watching a feedback video the company put out. They have a number of people that are flipping at impact use this and then they end up with a better looking shaft angle on video. However, and I think it's a pretty big however, with the way the shaft is built, I'd think it's almost a given that the head is going to be behind the hands compared to the control samples (using their own clubs). How does that translate to them then swinging their own club is the question that needs answered, because you can't just use the DST on the course.

I'll see if I can get some video stills or something. I think I may be able to arrange that with my home setup.

I've thought about this a little, especially after watching a feedback video the company put out. They have a number of people that are flipping at impact use this and then they end up with a better looking shaft angle. However, and I think it's a pretty big however, with the way the shaft is built, I'd think it's almost a given that the head is going to be behind the hands compared to the control samples (using their own clubs). How does that translate to them then swinging their own club is the question that needs answered, because you can't just use the DST on the course.

I'll see if I can get some video stills or something. I think I may be able to arrange that with my home setup.

That would be cool to see. Ya I mean if they reinforce or train a shaft lean at impact, and that training can be taken to my clubs, I imagine it will lead to increase consistency and distance.

I hit mine on Friday without seeing the video. The first thing I noticed is how heavy the clubs are. I could launch them easily, but all the shots were big pull hooks. I felt like I was swinging a club with 6 inches of offset. I'll have to watch the video to see what I was doing wrong in the setup.

I hit mine on Friday without seeing the video. The first thing I noticed is how heavy the clubs are. I could launch them easily, but all the shots were big pull hooks. I'll have to watch the video to see what I was doing wrong in the setup.

Wonder if you're setting up the face closed or if there's a grip issue.

I would like for you to try an arm swing vs a full upper body rotation swing. My guess with this club is that the arms and torso really need to be in sync and the hips have had to release in order to achieve the desired response.

Back