Ethics in the Golf Industry

Taking advantage of limitations of the masses who for the most part find it hard to pay for enjoyments and simple luxuries that make their families lives more fulfilling is not good ethics if and when there wasn't a need or reason to do it other than greed. Its legal and can be called supply and demand or good practice or whatever but imo can also many times be called unethical.

What is the line between "very profitable," on the one hand, which you say is okay, and "greed" and "unethical," which you say is not?

rollin, no disrespect but please stay out of the retail and sales business sector. Focus on the non-profit sector or public works/government. It's for your own good.

I feel like this thread is going no where. Rollin, no offense whatsoever, but if golf courses were run the way you propose, most would go out of business.

I still don't understand how taking advantage of crowds is unethical.

It would be if the course charged you more when you got there than what they advertised. But that is not what we are talking about.

What is the line between "very profitable," on the one hand, which you say is okay, and "greed" and "unethical," which you say is not?

And what percentage of courses are '' very profitable''

The way I look at it prime time for playing golf is Saturday & Sunday mornings. If you are want to play during those times you have the pay the going premium rate. People who don't want to play during that time period play on Saturday and Sunday afternoons or during the week if you can.

Every area of the country charges more during prime season & less during off season. All supply and demand....if you want to pay less then play when in the summer in FL or in the winter in the north :}

I feel like this thread is going no where. Rollin, no offense whatsoever, but if golf courses were run the way you propose, most would go out of business.

understood but I'm not the one continuing. Only responding to what's being asked or posted to me.

I think I am more confused now than before. Its cool, I think I got my answer. The golf course just needs to change the wording to "30% discount off during the week" and its copasetic.

Jb and others too. You guys didn't know I have been known to cause gridlock in the middle of the desert?

The way I look at it prime time for playing golf is Saturday & Sunday mornings. If you are want to play during those times you have the pay the going premium rate. People who don't want to play during that time period play on Saturday and Sunday afternoons or during the week if you can.

Every area of the country charges more during prime season & less during off season. All supply and demand....if you want to pay less then play when in the summer in FL or in the winter in the north :}

I think we found a pretty decent deal in Fl in the summer last month.

I am not sure why these types of threads take these turns or why people hold onto an idea that would bankrupt most courses. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it has to have some sort of rational reasoning behind it no to evoke a million responses.

I've worked behind the counter at many different courses and there has always been a higher weekend rate. I never ran into anyone that had an issue with the price. It's good business plain and simple.

Have I seen unethical behavior in the industry, yes but it has nothing to do with week or weekend rates.

I am not sure why these types of threads take these turns or why people hold onto an idea that would bankrupt most courses. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it has to have some sort of rational reasoning behind it no to evoke a million responses.

I've worked behind the counter at many different courses and there has always been a higher weekend rate. I never ran into anyone that had an issue with the price. It's good business plain and simple.

Have I seen unethical behavior in the industry, yes but it has nothing to do with week or weekend rates.

What he said^^^^^^^

If you want to attend a Broadway play, they typically charge more for weekend performances than weekday performances, and afternoon matinees are typically cheaper than evening performances. Hotels in Vegas and throughout the country do the same thing, i.e., they charge more on the weekends. I'm sure we could think of lots of other examples where the charges vary by whether it is a weekend or a weekday. It's a common and sensible business practice that is quite pervasive. Never heard it referred to before as "price gouging" or "unethical."

Back