Ethics in the Golf Industry

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
Whether it be on a club level, OEM level, marketing level, etc..

How do you all feel about what you see on a day to day basis in the game of golf? Have you witnessed any unethical behaviour at a golf course or within your club?

Other than the guys who don't feel the need to count all of their penalty strokes, I haven't seen anything.

Nothing comes to mind. Maybe a little lie fluffing and questionable scoring here and there, but unless it's for money I don't think that's unethical anyway. I guess sandbagging would count, but I've never dealt with that either.

Regarding the industry, I don't see anything that I'd call unethical. I see marketing, but nothing that I don't see elsewhere.

Are you talking sales/marketing? That's in every business. Not much you can do about it, and it's why they have actual college courses on the topic.

I witness rules breaking quite often by some of the older members at my home course, and there are a few who's handicaps are easily 10 strokes more than what they should be.

It's gone as far as they actually hit bad shots on purpose to not go too low. It's laughable that no one ever calls them out on it.

Everything seems pretty ethical from what I see. On the course you see guys that may not be able to count all their strokes or know the rules from time to time....But unless it's a tournament or something of the sort I'm don't worry too much about that.

I think the only thing I find to be a little edgy are all these new clubs that come out month after month, especially drivers guaranteeing more distance and straighter accuracy....but if that's true, people should be hitting the ball 500 yards straight down the middle by now.....

I can think of a lot of examples of ethics issues on the sales and marketing side of clubs. The biggest example I can think of is the golf simulator that is amped up to make it seem like you're all of the sudden hitting your 7i 45 yards further than normal. I see that as fraudulent and misleading. You're basically making a product appear to possess characteristics it doesn't actually have. I can think of other examples of interactions I've had with various salesmen in these stores that it's difficult for me to trust what they're saying and representing to me about the equipment.

As for OEM's, I some times wonder about their representations about the equipment as well. I know there are a lot of instances of OEM's challenging the other's claims of distance, in Court, and when you see how those tests were done to claim a certain club goes further than another, it can get questionable. I also have a hard time swallowing the superfluous claims of each club being the "best ever," when something else will be coming out in a few months that will be better. Just tell me how the club is different/unique and how it can be considered an improvement over previous models.

Yes the golf industry is a business and they are driven by profit like everything else. And yes there is a responsibility on the consumer to be comfortable with the equipment he or she is purchasing while ideally conducting their own research. But there is an equal obligation on OEM's and golf stores to limit themselves and realize there is a line between hype and misrepresentation.

On the course, I generally don't pay attention to what anyone else is doing because I trust they're being ethical. Unless it's a tournament or match play, I don't really care. The times I am involved in a tournament or match play, I don't think I've ever seen anything unethical, although some of the winning scramble scores could be called into question.

I'm not sure if its ignorance or a complete disregarding of the rules. But I see rules infraction all the time. Most of the time I think it is just lack of knowledge on their part. It doesn't affect me one way or they other. I just shake my head and move on.

I can think of a lot of examples of ethics issues on the sales and marketing side of clubs. The biggest example I can think of is the golf simulator that is amped up to make it seem like you're all of the sudden hitting your 7i 45 yards further than normal. I see that as fraudulent and misleading. You're basically making a product appear to possess characteristics it doesn't actually have. I can think of other examples of interactions I've had with various salesmen in these stores that it's difficult for me to trust what they're saying and representing to me about the equipment.

This is in large part why i always bring my current clubs to test on the same simulator. Yeah i'm not sure if it's unethical, but i think TM got some heat for strengthened lofts...but nothing that really bothers me.

As far as rule breakers, lie fluffers, mulligan takers, doesn't really bother me unless it's a game played for money, used for handicapping purposes, or slows down the game. If you're fluffing your lie to make the game more enjoyable for yourself only, doesn't really bother me.

Mostly just the few guys that don't quite play by the rules and there are plenty of sandbaggers around too....In fact I know a guy that plays 4-5 rounds per week minimum, but if you look his handicap scores up, he turns in like 2-3 cards a month...so he is only turning in the higher scores to keep his handicap up.

Im not sure I understand the question. I see that it is in regards to the golf industry, so does that mean golf equipment companies as well or are we talking about country clubs and such? I assume you are not speaking of golfers and the rules since the title says industry.

Good point about the individual sales reps/stores. Never really been an issue for me since I don't buy from those places.

I still don't agree that the marketing is unethical. It's usually based on some sort of test and has a little fine print that explains how it doesn't really pertain to you, just like everything else.

Is it unethical to push gimmicks and junk technology as a revolutionary improvement to the game of golf? Because basically every OEM does that to a degree.

I always thought the golf industry was about as close to the pharmaceutical industry as you could get in terms of companies making claims to improve the well-being/performance of the consumer.

However, the Pharmaceutical industry has the FDA to mandate which claims can be made (only if they are proven) where as the golf industry really has not regulations in terms of marketing.

Is it unethical to push gimmicks and junk technology as a revolutionary improvement to the game of golf? Because basically every OEM does that to a degree.

Isn't that really subject and up to each individual consumer to determine how revolutionary or gimmicky something is?

Im not sure I understand the question. I see that it is in regards to the golf industry, so does that mean golf equipment companies as well or are we talking about country clubs and such? I assume you are not speaking of golfers and the rules since the title says industry.

Anything in golf Josh. Ill adjust the title.

TTing

Anything in golf Josh. Ill adjust the title.

TTing

If thats the case, then all the time. Less on the equipment side than on the country club/course side.
Maybe I am not sure if unethical is the right term as much as something else. Not even sure what the word is, but the amount of people out there that exude this quality staggers me every day. I will leave it at that.

How about the in store putting greens that some retailers use that have grooves under the surface running to the cups. Think its a coincidence that those new putters you try out in the store seem to "can't miss"? But its a different story out on the course. That and jacked up simulators are definitely unethical in my opinion.

How about the in store putting greens that some retailers use that have grooves under the surface running to the cups. Think its a coincidence that those new putters you try out in the store seem to "can't miss"? But its a different story out on the course. That and jacked up simulators are definitely unethical in my opinion.

I have never seen or heard of grooves under the in store putting green. I miss often enough that I don't believe there is an issue. Jacked up simulators are also somewhat new to me. I have been told and hear other customers be told at 3 different golf stores in my area, "These simulators are not 100% accurate. They are just a rough guess. The best thing to do is bring in your current driver for a baseline." Plus, if somebody hits on a simulator and believes they just found the Holy Grail of clubs, well... a fool and his money...

I see players fluffing lies, not counting penalty strokes, taking mulligans, taking gimme's, etc. all the time. Whether that's unethical or not I believe is up to player's playing partners. Obviously a tournament setting is different.

Within the golf business side of things, it's always up to the consumer to believe what they want to about the marketing. Unless a company flat out lies about their equipment being within the regulations as far as grooves, COR, etc., I don't see how the marketing can be unethical.

Only issue of any importance I can remember is having to adjust the shot boost down to normal on a Flightscope machine at a local golf store. I am long, but not 300 yard 5-wood long.

On the industry side..yes..in my mind but others my disagree.
Price fixing.

tappin from my big as note2

Last edited:
On the industry side..yes..in my mind but others my disagree.
Price fixing.

tappin from my big as note2

That's interesting. I've never thought of that but you may have a point. I'd be very interested hearing about price fixing and if it holds water. Bulldog, why do you think there's price fixing?

Back