Ethics in the Golf Industry

It's been this way for hundreds of years. It's supply and demand, not price gouging.

Old Tom Morris paid two chicken and a pig on the weekends and just one chicken during the week...hehe

Agreed. But I guess those who don't understand also complain about ladies night at the bar and early bird specials before the dinner rush at restaurants.

Sometimes its not a matter of understanding. I undersatnd both views. And its just viewing from different perspectives. No need to send out sarcasm with sincere intent to belittle.

Sometimes its not a matter of understanding. I undersatnd both views. And its just viewing from different perspectives. No need to send out sarcasm with sincere intent to belittle.

I'm curious how you feel about early bird specials. It's the same principal. Are eateries gouging on non early bird times?

Food and beverage costs are never fixed. Simple as going to the grocery store from week to week and seeing the change in prices. It's no different for restaurants, golf courses, etc.

That food and beverage isn't stored in containers like freezers and coolers that are captial equipment? Component was the key word there.

Naa, that's for another thread :D
Why would you sell something for $7? You don't have to sell to them.

This added no value to the conversation at all. I didn't say I did or didn't have to sell them. I simply responded to a post with my opinion.

Maybe one day UNICEF will get into the golf business, but until then, they're the people to see.

(solid Joe Dirt reference)

This added no value to the conversation at all. I didn't say I did or didn't have to sell them. I simply responded to a post with my opinion.

Disagree. You said it was unethical for Golf Smith or PGASS to offer you a certain price for used equipment. Freddie said that it wasn't, that you can say no to the offer and not sell. I'm confused I guess

Great Friday entertainment up in here.

Disagree. You said it was unethical for Golf Smith or PGASS to offer you a certain price for used equipment. Freddie said that it wasn't, that you can say no to the offer and not sell. I'm confused I guess

Go re-read my comment. I specifically said it was not unethical. This should clear up your confusion quickly.

surrendering-emoticon-animated-white-waving-flag.gif

Snark usually doesn't like snark, but I found this pretty darn funny. Well played, sir.

No. But game recognizes game.

So rollin, you say they should settle on a median price to charge every day. So, if I work weekends, and can only golf on weekdays, is it unethical for me to always take advantage of weekday prices that are lower than what they should be?

Look guys, its not like there is a right or wrong way to feel about this imo.

There is no way most everyone here does not believe (golf or life in general) that price gouging and/or other unethical things happen every day in business. We all have fallen and will fall victim to now and then weather we know it or not or weather or not we believe it.

There is a bitterness I feel when (anywhere in life) things are done to make money by means of what I consider taking advantage of people. I think we'd all feel badly about that. But it can also imo be the case for things we may consider a luxury too. Sometimes they are obvious and a lot of times they are not. Deception, misguided reasoning, perception, and acceptance are all things those who do this count on and use so we may not realize. I am sure most anyone is not naïve enough to believe these things are not happening although that in itself is part of what is counted on. Its part of life imo and unfortunately for us it exists too much. My general feeling is that when things are inflated on weekends it is done (not always) but too often out of greed and takes advantage of people's limitations and imo yes even though that thing may be a luxury. Just because something is a luxury doesn't mean imo you cant be taken advantage of.

Weather or not you would agree this applies to a luxury such as golf or anything else is matter of opinion. But these things happen all the time regardless.

Just the way I feel about it. You may feel differently. I'm not trying to dictate how you have to feel. Just explaining how I feel. No right or wrong feeling any way about it unless of course we have absolute fact about a specific place of business we are accusing. But this always was more a generalization which I feel happens too much and isn't right when it does.

Just so we are clear, you said might not fit the unethical bill but certain places extremely under value the clubs.

My response was spot on, if you feel that way why would sell? You feel they are taking advantage of the situation, true or not?

Just so we are clear, you said might not fit the unethical bill but certain places extremely under value the clubs.

My response was spot on, if you feel that way why would sell? You feel they are taking advantage of the situation, true or not?

The issue wasn't wether or not I would sell, therefore your response was irrelevant. The point I made is that stores like Golfsmith and PGA SS undervalue trade ins. I never said that I would or would not trade them my clubs in with those retailers. If there was any implication that could be taken from the comment at all, it would be that I am likely to NOT trade them in to those retailers for that very reason. You are trying to read more into this comment than is actually there.

The issue wasn't wether or not I would sell, therefore your response was irrelevant. The point I made is that stores like Golfsmith and PGA SS undervalue trade ins. I never said that I would or would not trade them my clubs in with those retailers. If there was any implication that could be taken from the comment at all, it would be that I am likely to NOT trade them in to those retailers for that very reason. You are trying to read more into this comment than is actually there.

How does one read into ' I sold a club for $7 and they were selling for $100' I'm confused. This tells me despite the fact that you feel like they don't offer fair value, you did it anyway.

Not offering fair value would be along the lines of unethical, true or not. Whether you go back or are inclined not to use them again is irrelevant.

Ethics in the Golf Industry

Well I seem to have misread mastapp's quote and responded to what I thought I read in this thread. I apologize for my response to his post.

If there is any truth to the putting greens and simulators being rigged at certain retail outlets I'd say that's pretty disgusting. How any store manager can do that and still sleep at night is beyond me.

If there is any truth to the putting greens and simulators being rigged at certain retail outlets I'd say that's pretty disgusting. How any store manager can do that and still sleep at night is beyond me.

yes it would be disgusting imo too.
But this is why when I checked out clubs at times would also bring my driver and an iron or so also. This way I can hit and compare the difference in clubs regardless if the sim is long or whatever. And you can still see any differences.

I know when I was on my club searching quest last winter. It was like every 7iron I hit wherever I went was like 180's and plus more. Even my existing one at the time too and I know that in reality I hit it like 165 when a sweat strike. I don't know if its done on purpose or simply too inaccurate. Either way it almost always seems to be on the long side though which makes me wonder.

Look guys, its not like there is a right or wrong way to feel about this imo.

There is no way most everyone here does not believe (golf or life in general) that price gouging and/or other unethical things happen every day in business. We all have fallen and will fall victim to now and then weather we know it or not or weather or not we believe it.

There is a bitterness I feel when (anywhere in life) things are done to make money by means of what I consider taking advantage of people. I think we'd all feel badly about that. But it can also imo be the case for things we may consider a luxury too. Sometimes they are obvious and a lot of times they are not. Deception, misguided reasoning, perception, and acceptance are all things those who do this count on and use so we may not realize. I am sure most anyone is not naïve enough to believe these things are not happening although that in itself is part of what is counted on. Its part of life imo and unfortunately for us it exists too much. My general feeling is that when things are inflated on weekends it is done (not always) but too often out of greed and takes advantage of people's limitations and imo yes even though that thing may be a luxury. Just because something is a luxury doesn't mean imo you cant be taken advantage of.

Weather or not you would agree this applies to a luxury such as golf or anything else is matter of opinion. But these things happen all the time regardless.

Just the way I feel about it. You may feel differently. I'm not trying to dictate how you have to feel. Just explaining how I feel. No right or wrong feeling any way about it unless of course we have absolute fact about a specific place of business we are accusing. But this always was more a generalization which I feel happens too much and isn't right when it does.

Just curious, but if you were offered a raise at your job, would you take it? Couldn't that be considered taking advantage of your employer as your employer could get the same production out of you for a lower cost?

I'm not trying to change how you feel, just trying to understand your view of it.

I feel like this comment got lost in the discussion. Is there any truth to this? This is probably the most morally damning as anything I have seen posted in this thread.

I've personally opened and seen greens under construction at one Golfsmith, two Dicks Sporting Goods, and one Sports Authority. I have never seen this, or honestly heard of this. Sounds to me like disgruntled customer rumor.

Unfortunately, good profitable business equates to greediness in our current society. This is one of the many things that is ruining our nation.

Unfortunately, good profitable business equates to greediness in our current society. This is one of the many things that is ruining our nation.

Yup. Its the same reason that a very successful business man could never win presidency. They will be mauled as disconnected from the lower and middle class. But I wont turn this political.

I will say that I had never heard of the practice green thing until this thread and also have never seen that.

Back