GolfBuddy CT2 Micro GPS - THP Review

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review is the impressively compact Golf Buddy CT2. There are a variety of elements involved in this one despite being barely larger than the size of a golf ball. The price for the GolfBuddy CT2 is 149.99 (http://www.golfbuddyglobal.com/products/CT2.asp) and is available in white/blue and white/green.

From Golf Buddy

#1 RANKED MICRO-GPS - The CT2 is the latest addition to the full line-up of distance measuring devices from GolfBuddy. The CT2 is a pocket-sized GPS with a versatile design and loaded with golf features. It has best-in-class battery life, with up to 17 hours of golf in GPS mode. It’s compact with a tactile design and an ideal gadget for the golf course.

screenshot_03.jpg
screenshot_04.jpg
screenshot_05.jpg
screenshot_06.jpg
screenshot_07.jpg

Versatile design fits in pockets & clips to towel rings, belts, lanyards, golf bags, etc.
Dynamic green view with pin placement and distance readings from the golfer’s perspective
Distances to front/center/back of the green
Distances to hazards and layups
Digital scorecard
Automatic course/hold recognition
Legal for tournament play
Rechargeable battery provides up to 17 hours of golf GPS
Time
GPS Odometer
Waterproof up to 10 meters
Lanyard included

In Hand Photos

0114161037-XL.jpg

0114161039-XL.jpg

0114161039b-XL.jpg

0114161041a-XL.jpg

0114161043a-XL.jpg

0114161044-XL.jpg

0114161042a-XL.jpg

0114161040a-XL.jpg

0114161038-XL.jpg

I think models like this are a nice alternative for people who don't want something on their wrist, but still quite portable to have on yourself all the time as you move around the course, I'll be curious how that clip holds up long term with pulling it on and off the belt/pocket.

very compact indeed. 17 hour battery seems nice.

OK, I kind of really like this.

As a person who doesn't like wearing a watch, this could work for me. The key is (as for all of these) will they work on the small courses I play here in the middle of no where, Kansas. If they DO, do they work well enough to offset a laser, at least within 5 yards or less.

I would be afraid I would get to the middle of the fairway and it wouldn't be clipped to my hat/belt/pocket and I'd have to go back to look for it.

I'm good with having mine on my wrist but having a battery lasting 6 rounds would be convenient for sure.

Last edited:
Does it measure shot distance?

This is a GPS device I would use. Hate wearing a watch while I play, hate hand helds too. Clip this on and go with it.

I like.

This looks really good. LOTS of information in a very sleek affordable package.

Neat looking unit.

Seems like this would do what I would do with my Garmin GPS watch, just easier. Clip it right to the bag, and have easy, spot on distances right away.

Not having to wear a watch and get all the same info plus around 7 extra hours of battery life is a bonus. If the distances are accurate I could see me getting this over another watch

Battery life is most impressive, looks to be a great compact unit.

Kind of surprised by my reaction to this unit, but I actually love it.

Personal preference, but I do not care for it attached to my belt/pocket really. This is going to depend on the individual because the unit isn't all that big, and won't really hinder anything during the swing. Rather, I've got it attached to the lanyard provided, connected to my bag with a carabiner... Really surprised they didn't include one with the unit because I think it's perfect. It's always right there grab and check when I put my bag down by the ball -- Couldn't be more pleased with that.

To the unit itself, I am shocked with how much info they've added. I found myself using it a great deal throughout the round for certain elements that not only give me good numbers to the green, but also exactly where on the green the numbers are being generated from.

First, the simplistic front/middle/back is useful, but I found myself consistently selecting the top left button which changes half the screen to show the green shape along with the exact positions that are considered by their definition to be front, middle, and back. It's that added element of confirmation that makes a huge difference and I bet I hit it every single time I used the CT2 for a measurement.

f5dc35a89686fd63f67e49150fc6203d.jpg

The hazard screen is also quite useful, showing front and carry totals when on the tee trying to cover the distance of a bunker. What shocked me on the 9th hole was the hazard screen showing me the distance to the cart path that crosses as the fairway ends before the hazard. I thought that was awesome that I didn't have to worry about a number to the hazard, but rather the number to the element I certainly didn't want to hit to. Very very cool.

f6a6b4f7b9c1c09c0480ddc304411886.jpg

The shot tracker was extremely easy to use. Holding down on the top right button starts the feature, and simply pressing that button again briefly shows the total yards traveled. Holding down resets. So easy, so useful.

I'm a fan of this device. Absolutely. If it holds true on the 17 hours of run time, I'll be leaving it on the bag for the long run.

Great update.

One of my favourite design elements of the CT2 from GolfBuddy is the ability to move the hole location (or where they define the center of the green) on the fly. It takes a bit of extra time, but if you're really not that confident about the line given, you can actually move the center point to a different preset on the green.

screenshot_05.jpg

It's not the easiest thing to do, and I'd love to see them make it easier, but that it's even an option is very smart. I continue to be extremely impressed with the value of this unit. Had they included a carabiner with a hoop for it to latch onto my golf bag, I would argue it's as good as it gets in terms of micro GPS design.

The size in intriguing. I could never play with anything on my wrist. But with this on my belt, probably wouldn't even notice it was there. Nice review Dan. 17 hour battery and shot distance. Pretty stout Micro GPS right there.

As a person who doesn't like wearing a watch, this could work for me. The key is (as for all of these) will they work on the small courses I play here in the middle of no where, Kansas. If they DO, do they work well enough to offset a laser, at least within 5 yards or less.
I have the VS4,(older version) I have never been on a course that wasn't loaded into the unit. You just have to make sure when you get it that you do a course update before using.

Great review Dan. I recently purchased a GPS watch. However, if that experiment doesn't work out this looks like a great option.

As a staff writer on THP, I relish the reviews that write themselves and leave me feeling good about my work. I think the CT2 was one of the more enjoyable reviews I've had the opportunity to write, purely based on the value this little GPS offers for anyone not looking at a watch or a rangefinder. It was easy to focus on the elements that I require when golfing, because they are completely useful in every way.

Basically, it has exactly what I need, without the frills, and without the hassle. I hope you enjoy my thoughts when they are published.

Love reading that Dan.

Nice review. I've been using a half watch in my pocket for a while, having something even smaller and with real green view and hazards is going to be nice!

No subscription with golf buddy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back