Got a good tip from a pro golfer on wedges

McKillian

Reaction score
Lanna-Drevviken, Stockholms Lan, Sweden, Sweden
Handicap
Here´s a drill I got from a pro golfer on connecting solid with wedges and short irons. Take an alignment stick and put it through the butt-end of your club or hold it along the shaft in your grip. The stick forces you to keep your hands in front of the ball making you connect solid on the ball. I tried it on the range and later hit some really sweet wedgeshots on the course.

It helped me b/c I tend to get handsy with my wedges

Sounds like you are on to something. Might help someone handsy or who is a flipper.

thanks for sharing.

i reckon this would also stop you releasing adding to the spin

I have used that as a training tip before, it works.

It also helps make your arms and body work together, but it's a great drill. I used to move my hands way down the shaft and do it in my pre-shot routine.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

It also helps make your arms and body work together, but it's a great drill. I used to move my hands way down the shaft and do it in my pre-shot routine.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

great tip for when you´re on the course. Gonna try that as I like the drill on the range.

I also saw something that Luke Donald does on the range. He takes and alignment stick and puts it through his front belt loops. I think he said it was to control his hips and posture. I think the drill works but as soon as you go out for a round it's possible that you will forget and start playing poorly.

How much of the alignment stick should protrude above the club shaft? somewhere between left elbow and wrist, maybe?

It's funny the things you forget, this is an excellent drill that I need to revisit.

Make sure that you don't have the alignment stick extend too far past the butt end of the club. If you have it more than a foot past that end and you flip instead of having your hands ahead of the ball at impact, then you're going to smack yourself in the side of your chest with the aligment stick.

Our old pro here had me do that several years ago. We used a wooden dowel that just fit into the hole in the grip. It did help me quiet a bit.

He has other simple gadgets to use as well. hold a soda straw in your mouth pointing down while practicing putting. You will keep your head steadier. I've seen him with students gripping balloons between their forearms and swinging as well as using some other things such as short 2X4, nerf balls, towels etc. in various drills.

Make sure that you don't have the alignment stick extend too far past the butt end of the club. If you have it more than a foot past that end and you flip instead of having your hands ahead of the ball at impact, then you're going to smack yourself in the side of your chest with the aligment stick.

That's the point of this drill, to not hit yourself at any point during your swing. If you're too using your hands too much with little body rotation, you will hit yourself. This drill is good for the full swing as well, but obviously you want to start with a slow speed so you don't break a rib.

That's the point of this drill, to not hit yourself at any point during your swing. If you're too using your hands too much with little body rotation, you will hit yourself. This drill is good for the full swing as well, but obviously you want to start with a slow speed so you don't break a rib.

You are spot on about the short game. Not sure I would use this drill for full swing. There are arm swingers and body swingers and then theres both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are spot on about the short game. Not sure I would use this drill for full swing. There are arm swingers and body swingers and then theres both.

That's true, I'm more of a body swinger so I guess it would fit better to that type of swing. Although, it could help with both types of swingers with releasing too early or casting.

i just was using this in my golftec lesson a couple days ago.... my instructor calls it the PUNISHER cause if you don't keep your hands forward you smack yourself in the ribs with the stick! thought it was funny and actually made one with my old lob wedge when i got home been practicing with it in my free time. this is a great tip. been trying to get it to become second nature i have always just scooped the ball with my wrists for years!

That's true, I'm more of a body swinger so I guess it would fit better to that type of swing. Although, it could help with both types of swingers with releasing too early or casting.

True dat!!

That's the point. :D

My problem with my 60* and 64* is that I scoop. I make okay contact but I'll scoop the ball is this a result of what is said in this thread or is it just hitting it fat or is it just the degree of loft and I just need to keep hitting it

My problem with my 60* and 64* is that I scoop. I make okay contact but I'll scoop the ball is this a result of what is said in this thread or is it just hitting it fat or is it just the degree of loft and I just need to keep hitting it

if you scoop the ball you're using your wrists this is exactly what i was doing. my instructor said its more consistent when you use this shot instead of scooping the ball. depending on how you end your follow through can change if the ball rolls out or checks up. so thats how im trying to do my pitching and chipping now. it has been more consistent when i do the shot correctly. i have done the scoop for so long its not second nature yet but this has helped my short game a lot already.

Back