Graphite Iron Shafts - The New Norm?

Here is an interesting parallel. Lets consider that most golfers dont consider graphite shafts "cool"? Meaning they have that stigma attached. THe last "non-cool" item that took off, one could say was the belly putter.

It was around and if you read the early threads on THP, was not well received. Then it started to become a normal thing on tour. Next thing you know, it took off and people were buying them left and right.

It is an interesting parallel. How much of that do you attribute to the fact that guys were winning majors with them? Also you had guys like Phil Mickelson dabble around with one(even though it was short lived).

Unless Graphite is the stock and steel is an optional upgrade, I do not see graphite becoming the norm.

I just don't see convincing a young kid that graphite iron shafts will work as well as x100 steel. The average golfer could care less what shaft they have as long as it's a specific flex and steel, as far as irons are concerned. The general golfing population seems to gravitate to a name more than the make up of the club.

The stigma of being for old people and women is very strong. I'm not sure even tour stars could break that.

I think its the stigma that graphite is for old people and that graphite doesnt perform as well as steel.
Just last week, I was at a golf shop and overheard a salesman advising a customer to stay away from graphite in irons because it doesnt perform as well as steel.

For me its about cost. I am putting Recoils in my Apex and will probably be playing those for a long time. But if I had to go out of pocket for Recoils, I wouldnt be playing them.

What was the price difference between a normal litter and belly putter when the started to come around?

It is an interesting parallel. How much of that do you attribute to the fact that guys were winning majors with them? Also you had guys like Phil Mickelson dabble around with one(even though it was short lived).

A little bit of both I believe.

Unless Graphite is the stock and steel is an optional upgrade, I do not see graphite becoming the norm.

I just don't see convincing a young kid that graphite iron shafts will work as well as x100 steel. The average golfer could care less what shaft they have as long as it's a specific flex and steel, as far as irons are concerned. The general golfing population seems to gravitate to a name more than the make up of the club.

The stigma of being for old people and women is very strong. I'm not sure even tour stars could break that.

Keep in mind they said the same thing about graphite in metal woods. The use of hybrids. And others. Heck even mallet putters in some way.
My feeling is a bit different than the above and I do believe it becomes the norm. Not anytime soon mind you, but it will get there.

I think it'll become the norm sooner rather than later. I think when people can see the performance for themselves--either at a fitting or using a friend's their eyes will open.

I've made the switch and very happy I've done so. I have enjoyed the results with them and would recommend to anyone.

However, the cost is prohibitive and will deter people from making the switch. This isn't just geared towards iron shafts. Matrix (and Im sure others) has +$1000 driver shafts, that is crazy to me. If the cost comes down or if manufactures start offering them in parallel w/ steel, I think the numbers would increase immediately.

I'm leaning pretty strongly towards graphite myself. they really aren't much more expensive when you compare the same categories. For instance, the two shafts I'm trying to decide between are (on golfworks) 36.99 for the steel c-taper and 39.99 for the graphite RIP tour. cheap graphite shafts can be had in the $11 range and cheap steel for $9. it's a shame that OEMs charge about $100 more for the upgraded graphite option, but then on an $1000 set of irons, another $100 isn't a huge increase I guess.

I'm not old or small or weak or young, but I will absolutely game graphite shafts if they are what works best for me. They feel soooo nice, and my arm hurts less... what's not to like?

I think it happens as soon as graphite is offered as standard, or a no cost option on major OEM products.

I think it's a trifecta

Stigma and lack of educated sales people informing uninformed customers about graphite and shafts in general

Cost paying $35 or more per shaft for graphite that will perform for hard/fast swingers is crazy IMO

Tour advertisement we know the ball people play, what driver they use and what irons because that is what is advertised in print & tv ads. Yet there is none saying this shaft one this tournament or this shaft is played by :(&@?!$"

I don't think so as added cost and less weight doesn't work for many players.

I don't think so as added cost and less weight doesn't work for many players.

fwiw, graphite doesn't mean less weight. it makes lighter weights possible, but there are lots of heavy graphite options. compare the 85g steel shafts that lots of OEMs are using these days (dynalite, etc) to the 95/110g recoil, the 115g RIP tour, the 110g steelfiber, etc.

fwiw, graphite doesn't mean less weight. it makes lighter weights possible, but there are lots of heavy graphite options. compare the 85g steel shafts that lots of OEMs are using these days (dynalite, etc) to the 95/110g recoil, the 115g RIP tour, the 110g steelfiber, etc.

Right but if you like the 130 range- options are limited right now.

Graphite can be made in just about any weight out there.

Probably true. I feel like the old curmudgeon on the Nike commercial. I'll never play that....... hahaha

More Tour usage (to drive away stigma) and cost. It'll need some names attached for validation and the price will have to be reasonable enough that OEM's include them as stock offerings.

I agree good buddy on that one! Right or wrong, it moves the needle.

I think they could, but I think the manufacturers need to do a better job of getting the improvements and benefits of switching to graphite understood by the individuals selling and fitting them. I know even amongst Callaway's custom offerings, there are 17 steel model choices and 4 graphite model choices (ignoring different flexes in both counts). I saw a similar distribution of options available to be tested when I went for fitting. I don't know if this speaks to the plethora of quality steel shaft options, an intentional marketing strategy by the manufacturer, or just a reflection of customer demand.

If the quality graphite shaft options were the same pricing as the steel options, I think that would help as well, but fitters and store employees don't seem to even think of them unless you are complaining about joint issues or the like.

I don't agree with the stigma argument that graphite shafts are seen just for older golfers and women (slower swing speeds). The reason is that everyone uses graphite in their drivers and metal woods, and in most hybrids as well. So people own and use graphite shafts every time they play golf. Moving graphite to their irons will take three things - cost reductions and more tour pros using them are the first two. The third would be an advertising campaign that promotes the benefits of adopting graphite in irons.

What I think would do it would be for True Temper to go after the graphite iron shaft market, either by developing their Project X brand or by purchasing one of the boutique manufacturers of graphite iron shafts that are getting all the attention recently.

What I think would do it would be for True Temper to go after the graphite iron shaft market, either by developing their Project X brand or by purchasing one of the boutique manufacturers of graphite iron shafts that are getting all the attention recently.

Doesnt that completely cannabalize their marketing efforts however?
I mean they do have PX graphite iron shafts, but marketing them heavily goes against their bread and butter.

I am of the belief that the stigma still exists in a big way.

Doesnt that completely cannabalize their marketing efforts however?
I mean they do have PX graphite iron shafts, but marketing them heavily goes against their bread and butter.

I am of the belief that the stigma still exists in a big way.

I think the stigma still exists but outside of the online community how many golfers in the world actually know that a graphite iron shaft is out there in other options other than just light weights. I think it needs to be a combined effort between the OEMS and the shaft company to make a few of the better graphite options the stock option in some clubs. Not just in game improvement irons either but also in players irons (I hate that term) to touch that type of golfer.

Anyone think the limited second hand market has something to do with it as well? You can only pull graphite so many times and only if you have a puller so not only the cost of the shaft but now the cost of supplies to do it right and you have limited options to pick up cheap good pulls

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I think it's a trifecta

Stigma and lack of educated sales people informing uninformed customers about graphite and shafts in general

As long as big box stores dominate equipment sales (I assume this is the case currently), poorly educated sales people will always be an issue.

As for customers being uninformed ... that of course is entirely on them. Not sure why people don't research the products they're buying.

Cost and in store availability. When the cost is the same, and you see as much or more graphite in the store as steel, then people will automatically switch.

I really think that when they become a similar price to Steel they will surpass steel for normal golfers but most sets seem to be s couple hundred higher with Graphite

A little bit of both I believe.

Keep in mind they said the same thing about graphite in metal woods. The use of hybrids. And others. Heck even mallet putters in some way.
My feeling is a bit different than the above and I do believe it becomes the norm. Not anytime soon mind you, but it will get there.

I guess I am curios what data points to this. Are club companies seeing an increase in Graphite orders. Given enough time anything can change but if given the option I don't seethe consumer changing. It would have to be forced by the manufactures.

Metal woods took over because companies limited their production of persimmon woods. The consumer didn't have much of choice.

I agree that eventually things will change but I guess I just don't see it happening in the next 20 years. (probably could have lead with this last statement)

Back