Graphite Iron Shafts - Thoughts?

What is the weighting on your KK iron shafts Icey? I remember swinging them in Myrtle and while launching them high, found them to be very stable.

Same goes for the Miyazaki iron shafts. Stable. Not crazy shuddery or flimsy at all.

The KK Blacks are 75. They feel very stable, but at times I wonder if they are just a bit too light. The AMP Cell head's actually helped me in that regard, their forgiveness helped my dispersion for sure.

You hit the nail right on the head though, as long as the graphite shaft feels stable the performance, at least for me, was off the charts compared to steel.

My perception has definitely been changed, I too thought of graphite as for slower swing speeds, and that ihs clearly not the case now. I have been very interested in trying high end graphite shafts, however it is cost prohibitive right now.

This is an interesting thought. Here is the question, does cost dictate to you, on whether or not you could play it because its graphite? Meaning, when testing irons, why not try the graphite?

Are most of the stock options good? Or are they generally junk? Most golfers are only going to hit whats available at there local sporting goods store. If they do try the graphite in a stock option and its no good for them they will probably never consider them again.

I don't think it would matter either way.

Are graphite shafts offered with the Mizuno shaft optimizer? That seems to be the primary shaft fitting tool golfers rely on (if any).

last time I did it PX graphite was an option.

Are most of the stock options good? Or are they generally junk? Most golfers are only going to hit whats available at there local sporting goods store. If they do try the graphite in a stock option and its no good for them they will probably never consider them again.

In the last few years, they are quite good.

I don't really know. It probably is and that will likely get better with more Tour use and marketing to highlight it. All I know is that the MCI's were a fantastic shaft and nobody seemed to care. I think people get mildly interested and then they see the price and turn away.
QFT!!!

I think some people haven't gone of the hill yet to get more interested, but the price tag certainly turns people away that might otherwise get huge benefits from them.

I sure hope companies buy into the trend and offer more graphite shafts as custom options or even stock.

last time I did it PX graphite was an option.

Was that the only one? Need more variety in there for golfers to see that the specs of x graphite shaft meets their needs better than all these steel.

I tend to agree and think both of those things are the issue. However I do know that most golfers never test graphite when buying new irons. Regardless if that means stock option or otherwise. That to me says that they assume they are not for them.

I fully believe that the majority out there feel that way, and I used to be one of them completely and entirely.

My thoughts on them have changed slightly, although I haven't had a lot of in-hand time with graphite iron shafts, from demo'ing the Altitudes with the stock Actionlite stiff shafts I can really see a difference. I would/will absolutely consider graphite at this time if I could get a proper fit in one and could somehow afford them.

You don't think they would like them even if they are good?

No.

Here's an example. Though a little different, it's still the same thing. I watched a Cleveland rep fit a 75 year old guy at my club last year using a launch monitor. He's probably hitting driver 185-200 yards max. They went with a Cleveland Black in 12°. I think it was 12 yards more carry or something like that. The exact number isn't really important, but there was a pretty good gain for him.

The next time I play with the guy he proceeds to complain to me that he hits it too high (40 feet off the ground or so) and is looking for something else. Same guy bragged to me that he wouldn't play the Senior tees, even though he was allowed to in the money games. Ego trumps fitting.

Was that the only one? Need more variety in there for golfers to see that the specs of x graphite shaft meets their needs better than all these steel.

I believe it was. But I won't lie, I haven't done the optimizer in well over a year. I see on their site that the Matrix Program shafts are offered now as well, so they might be included.

My thoughts have def changed. Always thought steel was really the only option. I haven't hit irons with graphite shafts since my set of Kool Kats when I was a kid. I still have them, maybe I should bust them out just for fun :) . Although, I'm sure there's been some SLIGHT improvements since I used those :)

My thoughts really have changed on graphite, not necessarily because I've played a lot of graphite iron shafts, but because I've gotten over the perception that I need to be playing tour shafts (forgive me, I was an idiot before haha). I play KBS Tour now, but I used to think it would launch too high for me when I played Project X, and lo and behold its given me MUCH more bite on greens. Now I wonder if graphite or lighter steel could inject some distance in there as well - but as others have said, the cost for premium graphite is a definite problem.

No reason to try them as I'm super happy with the KBS shafts in my Wilson Staffs. Heck, I'm only on my 4th set of irons in the last 33 years. It's certainly not the steel shafts in my irons that is holding me back from shooting lower scores, it's my flat stick!:act-up:

I really can't see myself buying clubs w/o graphite going forward. I really enjoy the Kuro Kage shafts in my AMP Cell's. I am having trouble trying to play the KBS Tours in my J40's and I was a huge fan of the KBS Tours before going to graphite. My SS is faster and I never feel pain or fatigue like I would get once and a while with steel.

I really can't see myself buying clubs w/o graphite going forward. I really enjoy the Kuro Kage shafts in my AMP Cell's. I am having trouble trying to play the KBS Tours in my J40's and I was a huge fan of the KBS Tours before going to graphite. My SS is faster and I never feel pain or fatigue like I would get once and a while with steel.

What would you look at if you were to switch shafts in those j40's?

When I get my next irons they will more than likely be graphite shafts in them. I would even give up a little distance if that would be the case. My elbow and wrist are my main reason for wanting them. When I bought my last set graphite a wasn't even considered because they where for old men, not a guy like me.

What would you look at if you were to switch shafts in those j40's?

I would love to try a few options but I think I would end up with something close in weight to the KK's. I really like the lightweight yet they are still very stable.

When I get my next irons they will more than likely be graphite shafts in them. I would even give up a little distance if that would be the case. My elbow and wrist are my main reason for wanting them. When I bought my last set graphite a wasn't even considered because they where for old men, not a guy like me.

I really don't think this should even be a concern with the options out there today.

I happen to think you'd do extremely well with them having played with you. You'd probably gain distance by virtue of a higher ball alone, depending on what shaft you went with.

I would love to try a few options but I think I would end up with something close in weight to the KK's. I really like the lightweight yet they are still very stable.

I still would like to try those out.

I would certainly play them if they fit my game. After testing the recoils for the last couple of months, I know my view has changed. Money or not, if they are the best fit, I will play them.

But for me right now I still am looking for a set that would fit me. While the recoils were great I just don't think they were right for me. But I wouldn't hesitate to get fitted into a set.

Have been playing a set of Mizuno JPX 800 Pros for the last year or so, found a set of Nakashima NP5s with SteelFiber Pured shafts and bought them. Distance increase of approximately a club, not as harsh on mishits and comparable or slightly better control. When I get back down to the desert in Nov, will have to visit the Nakashima clubfitter studio at the College of the Desert driving range to see what we can do for similar set to play down there.

For those who have had the chance to try the various graphite shafts and recognize the difference, do you think a small (or big) part of the attitude around graphite iron shafts rests in the stock options we see every day?

I for one think it's awfully tough to go somewhere to put a recoil against an aerotech against an x100 against a C-Taper. I think it's even harder to find a place where you can see both numbers and launch. Maybe if these types of shaft variations were more readily available to demo, people would have their eyes opened. For me, I'm probably thick headed enough to need to see it first hand before I buy into it, and I doubt I'm one of a kind there.

For those who have had the chance to try the various graphite shafts and recognize the difference, do you think a small (or big) part of the attitude around graphite iron shafts rests in the stock options we see every day?

I for one think it's awfully tough to go somewhere to put a recoil against an aerotech against an x100 against a C-Taper. I think it's even harder to find a place where you can see both numbers and launch. Maybe if these types of shaft variations were more readily available to demo, people would have their eyes opened. For me, I'm probably thick headed enough to need to see it first hand before I buy into it, and I doubt I'm one of a kind there.

I hit on this a bit in my Recoil review, the graphite shafts like the Recoils, MCI's, Steelfiber's, etc are TOTALLY different beasts to me than many graphite shafts that come stock. Those, to me, are meant to play like graphite (lighter, more active tip, etc.) while the Recoil's for example are graphite DESIGNED to play like steel (more firm tip, slightly heavier weights than "traditional" in some cases, more steel like launch).

Back