Graphite Iron Shafts - Thoughts?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
For years, graphite iron shafts were considered to be for older players, weaker players and those that needed something lighter. Over the last 3 years, that misnomer has begun to change with some of the higher end graphite shafts offering incredible solutions in all weights to fit just about any golfer.

We are seeing rise in usage at the highest levels on tour including multiple wins this year, and 6-7 brands are putting out some very high quality products such as UST Recoils, Matrix Program, AeroTech, Fujikura MCI, Aldila and Miyazaki.

Have your thoughts on changed on graphite shafts? Would you consider them if price was not an issue (which it is right now for most)?

I would most definitely play them. But cost is a touch of an issue. I can get a light weight iron shaft with similar characteristics for have the cost.

I don't think it matters to me whether the shaft is graphite or steel, as long as it gives me the right ball flight, I'd be willing to play whatever.

I didn't hate mine, but the distance control was very difficult.

I would love to have graphite shafts. A higher ball flight and less strain on my elbow would be great. Expecialy the elbow part.

With the advent of the Recoils and the MCI's I am 1,000,000% a believer. Graphite that plays with the consistency of steel and in multiple weight ranges with all the dampening benefits of graphite, one would be crazy to not like that. If I could find the exact graphite match to what I'm playing now for what they give me on the course, I would switch in a heartbeat.

Clearly though, as mentioned, cost can become a bit of an issue.

Cost is such an issue that it's almost not fair. Triple the price of high end steel in some cases.

My observations are that they are more accepted now, but the buzz is very low, even for the more educated consumers we see here.

I don't think it matters to me whether the shaft is graphite or steel, as long as it gives me the right ball flight, I'd be willing to play whatever.

I whole heartedly agree with this. If it fits my style of game and helps me out, i'd use just about anything. The problem I have when hitting them is distance control also.

I haven't tried graphite iron shafts since the TaylorMade Bubble 2. I can only imagine that they've come a long way since then, and I'd bet they would benefit a lot of players.

Most assuredly and have had my eye on some recoils for a while. One day it will happen and my body will thank me.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Cost is such an issue that it's almost not fair. Triple the price of high end steel in some cases.

My observations are that they are more accepted now, but the buzz is very low, even for the more educated consumers we see here.

Agreed on all counts. The Recoil review TRULY opened my eyes. I'd like to get my hands on the MCI's at some point too.

Do you believe that this is because of the misnomer that still exists about their intended clientele?

I have been thinking more and more about graphite shafts since I first gamed the CG Black irons with the C Kua shafts back in December of 2011. Since then it seems some companies have really come out with some solid offerings. Cost is certainly a factor in them though. Down at the MC I was able to hit the Kuro Kage shafts which I liked and the Aerotech Steelfibers, which also felt pretty good in the DPCs. I have not hit the Matrix or the MCI's that Hawk reviewed, although they have me seriously intrigued.

When my Cobra irons came in with steel PX shafts I quickly learned why feel is important. To me they felt awful and my wrist/forearm needed to be iced after every round. I installed shaft dampeners to help alleviate some of that and they did. But I'm pretty sure my next set up with have some graphite in them.

My thoughts have not changed until I can afford to put them in my own clubs to test and see!

Playing graphite in the Altitudes has changed any perception or misnomers I ever had about them.

Every bit as stable as steel for me and they just plain work.

Cost will likely keep me from experimenting more though.....some of the prices are ridiculous.

Having hit both the recoils and the aerotechs, I think the 'flimsy weak' factor should be thrown to bed. Also, the benefits of increased weight graphite shafts have been an awesome change as far as I'm concerned. That they are not exclusive to those seeking lighter shafts is awesome.

I get an inkling to play them just to prove a lot of people wrong. The course I belong to has Scotty everywhere, white drivers, khaki, and basically tee it backward. I love the idea of confusing some people.

Do you believe that this is because of the misnomer that still exists about their intended clientele?

I do. I really do. I don't know what it will take to get people over that other than a) hitting them and b) them showing up in pro's bags

Having hit both the recoils and the aerotechs, I think the 'flimsy weak' factor should be thrown to bed. Also, the benefits of increased weight graphite shafts have been an awesome change as far as I'm concerned. That they are not exclusive to those seeking lighter shafts is awesome.

I get an inkling to play them just to prove a lot of people wrong. The course I belong to has Scotty everywhere, white drivers, khaki, and basically tee it backward. I love the idea of confusing some people.

The flimsy weak thing needs to curl up and die.

Agreed on all counts. The Recoil review TRULY opened my eyes. I'd like to get my hands on the MCI's at some point too.

I happen to believe they are better having tried both, but that's just one guy and one swing.

I don't really know. It probably is and that will likely get better with more Tour use and marketing to highlight it. All I know is that the MCI's were a fantastic shaft and nobody seemed to care. I think people get mildly interested and then they see the price and turn away.

I think the benefits of graphite shafts in your irons out weigh anything else.

The first step is getting over that mental hurdle and just trying them. And the proof is in the pudding, they flat our perform and will change your game for sure.

For me personally I'd love to try a little heavier version of graphite, but I know I won't be going back to steel any time soon!

I think the benefits of graphite shafts in your irons out weigh anything else.

The first step is getting over that mental hurdle and just trying them. And the proof is in the pudding, they flat our perform and will change your game for sure.

For me personally I'd love to try a little heavier version of graphite, but I know I won't be going back to steel any time soon!

What is the weighting on your KK iron shafts Icey? I remember swinging them in Myrtle and while launching them high, found them to be very stable.

Same goes for the Miyazaki iron shafts. Stable. Not crazy shuddery or flimsy at all.

I don't really know. It probably is and that will likely get better with more Tour use and marketing to highlight it. All I know is that the MCI's were a fantastic shaft and nobody seemed to care. I think people get mildly interested and then they see the price and turn away.

I tend to agree and think both of those things are the issue. However I do know that most golfers never test graphite when buying new irons. Regardless if that means stock option or otherwise. That to me says that they assume they are not for them.

My perception has definitely been changed, I too thought of graphite as for slower swing speeds, and that ihs clearly not the case now. I have been very interested in trying high end graphite shafts, however it is cost prohibitive right now.

I tend to agree and think both of those things are the issue. However I do know that most golfers never test graphite when buying new irons. Regardless if that means stock option or otherwise. That to me says that they assume they are not for them.

Are graphite shafts offered with the Mizuno shaft optimizer? That seems to be the primary shaft fitting tool golfers rely on (if any).

Are most of the stock options good? Or are they generally junk? Most golfers are only going to hit whats available at there local sporting goods store. If they do try the graphite in a stock option and its no good for them they will probably never consider them again.

If we take the small number of golfers that I would consider educated out of the equation, there is really no doubt that is the case. Meeting so many avid golfers at my club last year really showed me that the level of knowledge out there, even for people that play all the time, is extremely low.

Back