Graphite Iron Shafts - Thoughts?

Already there. Had em in my R11 (Matrix), Adams CBM (Prolaunxh), Amp Cell (stock)
But I'm an ol gezzer

tappin from my big as note2

For those who have had the chance to try the various graphite shafts and recognize the difference, do you think a small (or big) part of the attitude around graphite iron shafts rests in the stock options we see every day?

I for one think it's awfully tough to go somewhere to put a recoil against an aerotech against an x100 against a C-Taper. I think it's even harder to find a place where you can see both numbers and launch. Maybe if these types of shaft variations were more readily available to demo, people would have their eyes opened. For me, I'm probably thick headed enough to need to see it first hand before I buy into it, and I doubt I'm one of a kind there.

I think you are right, Dan. I think people tend to think that no new innovation has come in graphite shafts so the automatically think of the old graphite and dismiss all the new technology.

Also I think it is hard to go and demo a lot of the new graphite. I know in my city the only thing available is matrix programs. I would love to see more options available.

Completely different. I was lucky enough to have the stock Altitude shaft and the MCI's at the same time. Even in the same club. The difference in feeling, both in the swing and in hand, is pretty substantial.

For those who have had the chance to try the various graphite shafts and recognize the difference, do you think a small (or big) part of the attitude around graphite iron shafts rests in the stock options we see every day?

I for one think it's awfully tough to go somewhere to put a recoil against an aerotech against an x100 against a C-Taper. I think it's even harder to find a place where you can see both numbers and launch. Maybe if these types of shaft variations were more readily available to demo, people would have their eyes opened. For me, I'm probably thick headed enough to need to see it first hand before I buy into it, and I doubt I'm one of a kind there.

Very much so. The stock options are likely very good for a group of people but they are not for everyone. It makes it very costly to get the correct graphites shafts installed and very tough to test before the purchase.

I made the conscious decision to go with the graphite shafts in my Rocketbladez and couldnt be happier. They provide me a higher ball flight which is something I always struggle with but the biggest thing is the wear and tear on my body. I have had wrist/hand pain for quite some time and have always relied on Alleve pre and post round. With these irons, I can honestly say I feel no pain during or after my rounds. Its just much easier on me. I don't see myself ever going back to steel shafts.

Completely different. I was lucky enough to have the stock Altitude shaft and the MCI's at the same time. Even in the same club. The difference in feeling, both in the swing and in hand, is pretty substantial.

I did enjoy those MCIs you were testing. And I know you can tell a difference in the same club head between a steel and graphite shaft.

Here then begs the question. When you go to the golf store each year to try irons out like most of us do, why do most only try irons out in steel shafts?

I would play them in an instant if cost was not an issue. I am a strong believer in the dampening benefits as they relate to long term joint health as we get older.

Here then begs the question. When you go to the golf store each year to try irons out like most of us do, why do most only try irons out in steel shafts?

Lack of availability for me but thats to be expected. I do look at RH stock alot and hardly ever see graphite options. The first irons I saw that had graphite options were the Rocketbladez. I have noticed more and more places getting fitting carts to allow for this though.

THis plays into my ego thread a bit IMO. I know I was that way prior to the PGA show this year and actually hearing UST explain their shafts.

Well, I think your initial lead in says it all. When players who pursue new clubs go to the golf store, they go in looking for what they know, and what they perceive to know. I recognize that my pursuit of clubs is probably different than many, where I look for the heavier iron shaft options (115-130g) and there is rarely if ever a graphite shaft that fits that bill even in the deepest custom cart.

For the guys around my course, I think they still look at graphite and think 'senior' flex or something of that respect. Now, I haven't been to a full demo day at my course this year, but I can say that of the ones I've been to, I've seen steel get pushed quite a bit more than graphite -- That is of course a 1-2 year old sample.

I originally switched for distance but then stuck with them for injuries. I love graphite shafts and have been just as consistent if not more than steel. I actually was messing with the aldilas and had tighter dispersion and better numbers than the DG SL that I was fit for originally. They need to push the distance thing to help sell. That is what will pull people in.

I also have been told everytime I go into a store that I dont want graphite by the people that work there. I have to ask to try something with graphite shafts or they won't even test them.
tap tap taparoo

I originally switched for distance but then stuck with them for injuries. I love graphite shafts and have been just as consistent if not more than steel. I actually was messing with the aldilas and had tighter dispersion and better numbers than the DG SL that I was fit for originally. They need to push the distance thing to help sell. That is what will pull people in.

I also have been told everytime I go into a store that I dont want graphite by the people that work there. I have to ask to try something with graphite shafts or they won't even test them.
tap tap taparoo

Isn't that the truth.

I remember my first full season playing. I had my eye on these Nickent cavities that were on deep discount. They had graphite shafts. I went in with money in my pocket, asked about them, and the guy basically insulted me and the idea that I would want to buy them. I turned right around and haven't bought a thing from those morons since.

tap tap taparoo

been there man. Used to see it all the time when I worked at GG and still do when I am in there.

First and foremost, the golf shops around me do not carry graphite irons unless the MSRP < $900 or something. Again probably comes down to cost.

Then there's the weight issue. Other than the Programs and Recoils there is no heavyweight graphite, especially as a stock option.

Im a big fan of graphite shafts in irons. Ive owned a couple Nike iron sets with graphite and they worked really well. I found that I get more distance with them and really, it didnt effect my dispersion much.
IMO, there will come a day when steel shafts are phased out in irons just like they were in woods.

Im a big fan of graphite shafts in irons. Ive owned a couple Nike iron sets with graphite and they worked really well. I found that I get more distance with them and really, it didnt effect my dispersion much.
IMO, there will come a day when steel shafts are phased out in irons just like they were in woods.

I used to think no way to something like this, but with the development and R&D that went into the Recoils and MCI's along with how they actually perform, maybe it is possible someday.

I used to think no way to something like this, but with the development and R&D that went into the Recoils and MCI's along with how they actually perform, maybe it is possible someday.
I dont think that people are ready for it now or probably any time in the next maybe 5 years but I think the day will come. IMO, when the day comes that you see tour pros switching to graphite, it will happen because of how much tour usage dictates perception in the golf industry.

This is probably the main factor in delaying my purchase of new irons. I definitely want to go to graphite. At 60 there are just to many little aches, pains and some tendonitis in the elbows and shoulders that I think will be limited by using graphite. I've tested out the Recoil and Aerotech but want to check out a few more. I think I might be settling on the 825 Pros with the Recoils but we'll see!

First and foremost, the golf shops around me do not carry graphite irons unless the MSRP < $900 or something. Again probably comes down to cost.

Then there's the weight issue. Other than the Programs and Recoils there is no heavyweight graphite, especially as a stock option.

Honest question. You go into a golf shop and they had the Ping Anser irons in there with KBS Tour 90s. THey were over $900 I believe and my gut feeling is that you would have tried them right? Yet people see those same irons in graphite and think "Meh, its not for me".

We have been programmed that way due to years of average at best performance and graphite geared towards a different sector.

Honest question. You go into a golf shop and they had the Ping Anser irons in there with KBS Tour 90s. THey were over $900 I believe and my gut feeling is that you would have tried them right? Yet people see those same irons in graphite and think "Meh, its not for me".

We have been programmed that way due to years of average at best performance and graphite geared towards a different sector.
No because the Anser irons are an outrageous $1300 haha. I did try the PX95 in the Callaways, however. I do see your point and I still think like that. Even with what I do know exists currently. When I see a stock graphite iron shaft I immediately think too lightweight, high launch, high spin and will not even try it. It's just reactive.

Do you think that the stock graphite shafts are geared towards better players now or that they have improved to the point that they can fit a broader range of players? I tried the stock graphite in the AMP Cells and did not like them at all. I am a huge fan of the Kuro Kage shafts which happen to come stock in the Coverts.

Do you think that the stock graphite shafts are geared towards better players now or that they have improved to the point that they can fit a broader range of players? I tried the stock graphite in the AMP Cells and did not like them at all. I am a huge fan of the Kuro Kage shafts which happen to come stock in the Coverts.

Sure do. Just like their driver counterparts. I think that most people on golf websites dismiss standard options as inferior when it is really not the case completely. To quote a great equipment person, there are people that overthink their equipment, and those that do not think about it enough. Shafts fit that bill more than anything.

I guess I'm caught in the "Demographics" mentality, have always believed these where best suited to the older age groups or those with hand/arm issues. I really do want to give graphite shafts a chance, but cost and availability has kept me out of the running.

This is an interesting thought. Here is the question, does cost dictate to you, on whether or not you could play it because its graphite? Meaning, when testing irons, why not try the graphite?

I have tried them repeatedly, I liked the Aldila NV, and was thinking of going that direction for the MC, but the only graphics offered were the cg shafts, abd those were no bueno.

Back