rbarthle17

One-length advocate
Reaction score
Handicap
cold rain
So I guess this is the "About Me" post.

I took up golf my senior year in college. Until then, my life was baseball. A friend of mine introduced me to golf, and then I learned that my dad was a 3 handicap and had given up golf when I was born. Wish he hadn't done that! I played, but didn't take seriously, for the next 15 years.

About 5 years ago I was tired of struggling to break 100 regularly, and started really working on my swing. In 2012, I felt I had improved enough (was shooting in the 90's 95% of the time) to warrant investing in equipment. I bought my first set of new clubs ever, RAZR X's, replacing a set my dad built for me when I took up the game (he is a USGA rules official now, and dabbles in club making via Golfsmith still). I did not carry a driver in my bag until this summer, when I bought the R1.

I play about 3-4 times a month. I am a father of 4, so that limits time severely. I typically play tees about 6000-6300 yards in length. My drives are around 260-275 on average. I can routinely putt in with 2 putts or fewer. My scores were becoming directly tied to my tee and second shots. Put a 7-iron or higher in my hand, and I have a good chance at going for the GIR and a good score. If my tee shot leaves me needing a 3-6i, I was in trouble. And long par 3's were score killers for me. Even with all that, I had a really good summer this year, breaking 90 for the first time ever with an 85, and following that up with another 85 two rounds later!

Full of confidence, I took my first ever trip to Pinehurst, and played my first rounds ever on bermuda grass. I was not prepared for that. Had no idea grass makes that big a difference. It was like I had forgotten how to play. Coming off the best season of my life, I broke 100 one time out of 5 rounds, and that was averaging less than 2 putts a hole! Wow. My nemesis of long irons killed me. For the week I played the par 3's at -2 total (easily a record for me), and had 5 birdies on par 4's for the week. Still couldn't break 100 4/5 times!

So, I went back home and decided that I need to fix this long iron issue. I've tried practice to no avail (though admittedly don't focus on long irons anywhere close to what I spend on my short game), so I decided to look at equipment for help. The last month, I found Adams a12 OS hybrids on sale, and replaced my 3-6i with them. In the two rounds I have gotten to play with them before winter set in, it was night and day difference. I am excited to practice with these over the winter and hopefully I can get back into the 80's routinely next summer.

Well, that's all. I guess I babbled plenty, huh? Glad to be on here!

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Welcome to THP!

Welcome to the forum, rb17. Stick around, you'll like it here.

:welcome:

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome to THP, from the west side of the state.

Welcome to THP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP and congrats on finding the clubs to replace your long irons.

:welcome: rbarthle17, those Adams a12OS hybrids are pretty awesome for sure. Glad you have solved the long irons problem with your game. Happy golfing.

Welcome to the family!

Welcome to THP! Go Buckeyes!

Welcome to :thp: rbarthle17!!

Welcome to THP

Welcome to Paradise!

Welcome to the party

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

Welcome to THP! Glad you found it. You'll find that many of us have similar experiences either past or present with our games. Good call on getting some hybrids in your bag. They can be life changers!

Welcome to THP. You're going to love this place.

Back