How Are Golf Shafts Made?

Even after following the Handcrafted Experiences, watching the tour and hearing from Don about how shafts are designed/produced never gets old.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I remember when, I believe it was the Hand Crafted was just coming out. Grafalloy had a contest and I was one of the ones selected. I have a handcrafted prototype of the ProLaunch Red shaft. One of my favorite shafts I've ever used.

I think the guy who created the Ron Swanson character met me at some point in time and used the interaction to create Ron Swanson.

One of my old bosses has said the same about me. The physique and facial hair certainly help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finishing the video, Don may be one of my favorite people in the golf shaft industry. Dude is crazy smart about golf shafts and great at explaining things, but just horrible with his baseball allegiance. I guess two out of three ain't bad.

That was a fun watch, the whole process is just so cool. The fact the man takes the time to even visit with us is great. He probably talks with Tour Pros all the time about these same things and still is just a regular guy towards us mortals.

Great video and info! The entire series will no doubt be fun (and educational) to watch!

Gems like these are why I enjoy following you on Twitter, DB! :D
If you have time to keep your office clean it means you aren't getting enough done.

I currently have 32 unheard voice mails. Leaving a voicemail is like sending an AOL IM or using a carrier pigeon. I don't need to listen to someone blather on for 5 minutes when a 100 character text could accomplish the same thing.

#grumpyoldmanrant

Loved this !
Before my current field of IT, I was in composite air duct manufacturing for Boeing, so seeing the shaft building going on brought back some great memories.
You call it celo tape, we call it shrink tape, you call them flags, we call them plies, but it's pretty much all the same. We even use the same brand of cure ovens.

Question 1 - Does the cure cycle of the shafts have a mandatory temperature ramp up and ramp down, or is it just a constant temp cure ?

Question 2 - Along with the graphite pre-preg, we also use a lot of kevlar in certain applications. Has kevlar been used or considered to be used in shaft building or is it just too heavy ?

I really want a chance to build my own shaft !!

Loved this !
Before my current field of IT, I was in composite air duct manufacturing for Boeing, so seeing the shaft building going on brought back some great memories.
You call it celo tape, we call it shrink tape, you call them flags, we call them plies, but it's pretty much all the same. We even use the same brand of cure ovens.

Question 1 - Does the cure cycle of the shafts have a mandatory temperature ramp up and ramp down, or is it just a constant temp cure ?

Question 2 - Along with the graphite pre-preg, we also use a lot of kevlar in certain applications. Has kevlar been used or considered to be used in shaft building or is it just too heavy ?

I really want a chance to build my own shaft !!

Q1- Yes, we do ramp up our oven not just jump straight to max temp, if you do that the layers cure before they have a chance to consolidate. We don't ramp down, cured is cured.
Q2- Kevlar has minimal benefits in a golf shaft. It isn't as strong or as stiff as carbon fiber, its more expensive and it is really hard to cut. But besides that it's awesome.

This makes me want to get in the handcrafted event SO BAD! Awesome video, thanks Don and Dean!

I really enjoyed the video. A ton of good information. Was blown away by the painting process haha.

Glad people enjoyed Episode 1 and it is only going to get a whole lot better from here.

Glad people enjoyed Episode 1 and it is only going to get a whole lot better from here.

With these kinds of reviews I might need to renegotiate my per episode salary.

Great first episode.

Really good episode. I would love to be left alone in Don's office for 10 minutes. heheheh.

Don has some knowledge. Loved hearing about how they use different materials, the hand rolling, the painting process. all of it was excellent.

Now about Don's Office....

Very good episode and I came away smarter than I went in. It's amazing to me how they can pump out a shaft "by lunch" if they really need to, and it's also amazing how the Hzrdus Red and Black are so similar yet so different.

Very well done and full of information. In a second life I would be doing everything I could to go join that company. Love the science that goes into the seemingly limitless options for shaft structure.

Great video. After going to True Temper's factory in Amory, it was cool to see how the graphite shafts were made. It was interesting listening to how they work with PGA Tour players to tweak shafts to fit changes in the golf ball and driver as new models are put out each year.

Just finishing the video, Don may be one of my favorite people in the golf shaft industry. Dude is crazy smart about golf shafts and great at explaining things, but just horrible with his baseball allegiance. I guess two out of three ain't bad.

If by horrible you mean enlightened, then sure.

Great video - the turn around time on a shaft if they really need it is pretty good I mean I could go with out graphics

Great video - the turn around time on a shaft if they really need it is pretty good I mean I could go with out graphics

Thanks. We think people are really going to like where this series takes them.

It is really good. For THCE last year, we left the shop late Thursday afternoon. When we got there Friday morning, our unpainted shafts were there waiting for us.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That was a great one. So much learned and DB does a great job explaining things. I wanted in the PX HC experience before, but even more so now!

Love this so much. I never get tired of seeing or hearing about how shafts are made. It is such a neat thing. Really enjoy hearing DB talk about the tech that goes into the design and creation of shafts. He is so sharp and really does a great job of explaining things. Also dug that he had a skateboard on the wall in his office. :)

Thanks for the great episode. I am really looking forward to more!!

Love this so much. I never get tired of seeing or hearing about how shafts are made. It is such a neat thing. Really enjoy hearing DB talk about the tech that goes into the design and creation of shafts. He is so sharp and really does a great job of explaining things. Also dug that he had a skateboard on the wall in his office. :)

Thanks for the great episode. I am really looking forward to more!!

That is one of the skateboards that Danny Way used to break the world record jump in half pipe.

Back