Jack Nicklaus and the request for a ball roll back

While not exaclty, I do think many of the people who are fast naturally that can do LD will just develop the rest of their game and we will absolutely see more than 1-3 monster hitters on tour
I don't buy it. Sadlowski brought on an era of speed despite size that, while it has developed nicely, has not greatly impacted the tour game.

There is SO much more about golf than bombs, and most recognize that. Jack is crutching on distance to make his courses relevant again, when in reality, he should just... you know.. design them better.

If the ball rolls back, Bryson will still hit it further than Kisner...

I don't buy it. Sadlowski brought on an era of speed despite size that, while it has developed nicely, has not greatly impacted the tour game.

There is SO much more about golf than bombs, and most recognize that. Jack is crutching on distance to make his courses relevant again, when in reality, he should just... you know.. design them better.
I do think he is referencing those learning the game (kids) in which case he is correct, they are being taught now to swing fast and hit it hard, because control can be learned.

It was the one thing I sought out in Lotte starting to take lessons, I told them I want her to learn to hit it like a man, and we will learn control as we go.

What if rolling the ball actually helps the long hitters more and that's what Jack wants? :unsure:

Like moving the 3pt line back helps curry.

I do think he is referencing those learning the game (kids) in which case he is correct, they are being taught now to swing fast and hit it hard, because control can be learned.

It was the one thing I sought out in Lotte starting to take lessons, I told them I want her to learn to hit it like a man, and we will learn control as we go.
Oh, I got the sense that he was talking about the here and now.

Yeah, I mean I guess current youth development has an opportunity to progress as we've seen since the last wave (Tiger wave) was in full steam. But guys like Berkshire, who are a brilliant mix of mechanics and power, aren't even sort of threatening courses. How does someone produce the best of both worlds?

My second career, as a course designer, is actually now longer than the 44 years I spent competing in professional golf. The work has been deeply fulfilling, and, to this day, design still inspires and energizes me. The greatest pleasure of the work is seeing golfers enjoying themselves on something I helped create.

That might surprise some of you. When I first started working as a designer, in the late 1960s and into the early 1970s, I’d occasionally hear people say, “Jack designs golf courses only he can play.” In other words, challenging courses that favor left-to-right shots, the ball flight I preferred my entire career. That might have been true early on, but I figured out something pretty quick: A good golf course needs balance and variety. The average golfer doesn’t want to get beat up. And the best players in the world appreciate good strategy and shot values. And yet, they can and will still shoot 65, no matter how difficult the course you give them.

Jack has been consistent on this train of thought since prior to Tiger even being around. He came out with his Cayman Ball back in the 80's and was trying to move the needle on control of distance via the ball. His personal style of instruction has always been learn how to hit it really fn hard and then learn control.

What if rolling the ball actually helps the long hitters more and that's what Jack wants? :unsure:

Like moving the 3pt line back helps curry.

Jack has been consistent on this train of thought since prior to Tiger even being around. He came out with his Cayman Ball back in the 80's and was trying to move the needle on control of distance via the ball. His personal style of instruction has always been learn how to hit it really fn hard and then learn control.
To be fair, since that time he has released numerous golf balls, none of which have any sort of distance restriction. From the media event we were at.

"What we are offering them is a chance to play the best ball they can get that will give them the most distance, the most playability, and the most control for their swing speed."

It blows my mind that a guy with his resume can only think in straight lines.
Especially as a guy who could only hit a fade.

To be fair, since that time he has released numerous golf balls, none of which have any sort of distance restriction. From the media event we were at.

"What we are offering them is a chance to play the best ball they can get that will give them the most distance, the most playability, and the most control for their swing speed."
What is your point? He should have mass produced balls with no market? My point is that Jack has been consistent in his speak to his vision of the best way to control distance.

What is your point? He should have mass produced balls with no market? My point is that Jack has been consistent in his speak to his vision of the best way to control distance.
It was noted that he was consistent even releasing balls based on control.
He then released a golf ball lineup talking about maximum distance.

While he has been consistent in rolling back, it would seem rather easy to not release a golf ball line...

He could have consistent principles inspite of profits.

The options seem relatively simple

For Pro Golf:
1.Do Nothing. Pro Golf becomes Drive/Pitch & Putt events on all but the longest courses.
Build longer courses in the middle of nowhere (that's where the land is) and the regular guy only gets there on a destination vacation.
You could make the case that you dont need to lengthen, but to make them more penal off the tee would actually be a better solution.
Challenging rough, creative designs, etc.

It was noted that he was consistent even releasing balls based on control.
He then released a golf ball lineup talking about maximum distance.

While he has been consistent in rolling back, it would seem rather easy to not release a golf ball line...
I can't speak to his or the company he was aligned with regarding releasing balls which were endeavoring to be best legal balls for distance etc. It does seem like common sense to have stood on side lines....

He could have consistent principles inspite of profits.
Do you apply that logic to Tiger? Do you know Jacks profits via golf balls?

Back