Jordan Spieth DQ’D

This is bonkers. I don't believe for one minute he was attempting to cheat.

These situations should not arise in the 21st century. Just give the player the official score to check against. It's not complicated.

Except that pros don't mark their own scores. Your opponent/fellow competitor marks your scorecard and you mark his. It's your responsibility after the round, when your opponent/fellow competitor gives you your scorecard, to ensure that your scorecard is correct before you sign it and turn it in.
Certain penalties are called on the player by himself. It doesn't matter if the opponent, the TV network, and some volunteer with a clipboard is keeping track...every player is responsible for signing a card reflecting their own score. The key word is responsibility.

The volunteer, opponent and TV cameras don't climb in every bunker to see if you grounded the club. They aren't going to check after every hole to see if you hit a wrong ball from the rough.

That sure is unfortunate. I guess we had him to the list of cheaters in golf. /s

Terrible way for something like this to happen though, I agree with the others that it’s a stinky rule but a rule is a rule sort of deal.

If you could change one rule in golf this would not get a single vote. OB, divots in FW, equipment, etc would get all the attention. This will be on place forever and I love people getting DQ'ed for it. It is more rare than an albatross I think. 😆

Like Spieth said " In a post to Instagram on Friday evening, Spieth said, "Rules are rules, and I take full responsibility. I love this tournament and golf course as much as any on PGA Tour so it hurts me to not have a run at the weekend."

I
Like Spieth said " In a post to Instagram on Friday evening, Spieth said, "Rules are rules, and I take full responsibility. I love this tournament and golf course as much as any on PGA Tour so it hurts me to not have a run at the weekend."
Hard to argue with him, not like he had any choice.

Not a problem with the rules ,
or a scorecard ….

Problem is , …. be topical as Tay Tay is playing Melbourne …

“ lts me ,Hi , l am the problem it’s me “

Know what you scored , mark it down ,
Not caddies fault
Not scores fault
Speiths fault

Just because he’s a favourite of some doesn’t mean you get leniency, or wants change the rules…

Here’s a learning moment… don’t f… up again

As for the should be digital etc ,,,,
You can’t frame a digital card and look over it hanging wall . Cards are beautiful memento of a game , a round , a score
They can still have their scorecard it just wont be official

A rule is a rule, but how can you and your caddie not be able to see the score you wrote for that hole was wrong?

This is bonkers. I don't believe for one minute he was attempting to cheat.

These situations should not arise in the 21st century. Just give the player the official score to check against. It's not complicated.
If Speith signed for a higher score than he really got he gets DQ's also. Just a dumb rule. And the comment someone made about making he hole bigger etc is absurd.

A rule is a rule, but how can you and your caddie not be able to see the score you wrote for that hole was wrong?

Right.

How could his caddy (Greller) also miss the scoring error?

Don't they go over the card, hole by hole, together?

I

Hard to argue with him, not like he had any choice.
But like he said, he knew the rules. They had him to rights. The walking scorekeeper at all PGAT events, reports via a pda scores and other data and it uploads via Shotlink during each hole to the score controller, plus the caddies usually at times keep a scorecard and then the other players in the group keep a score of their competitor. And then while in the scoring area, if a error is found, the player may not change their score without the playing competitor agreement or Committee’s approval or both. Once the players leave the scoring area, whats noted on the card is final. So he had chances.

I feel like this antiquated concept is kinda ridiculous. All this does in my opinion is hurt the game. The officials should support a confirmation before the player signs.

If you can't keep score correctly then you don't belong on the PGA Tour nobody's fault but his . Which is what he said .

If you can't keep score correctly then you don't belong on the PGA Tour nobody's fault but his . Which is what he said .
Exactly this. Kick him off the tour!

I think this rule is stupid we have tv keeping track for us why do these guys need to keep score themselves? And if they do why isn’t the caddie doing it?

Yeah it’s his fault and he owned it but doesn’t belong on tour cause of a mistake come on man

I think this rule is stupid we have tv keeping track for us why do these guys need to keep score themselves? And if they do why isn’t the caddie doing it?
I've always wondered why the Caddie doesnt keep score, or at least keep a separate card to compare them to. I can understand losing track of stroke when you shoot a 150, but playing par or better golf and the most having -1 or +1 stroke to a hole is just stupid to mess up.

The rule isn’t stupid, but screwing it up is. “Especially in this day and age” 🤣🤣🤣

Math is hard.

Calculate Figure It Out GIF

I understand keeping score in local tournaments and such where you don’t have score being kept for you and need multiple confirmation signatures but you literally have it being kept live on a board. FFS. Get rid of the stupid rule.

I agree 100%. The spirit of the rule is to protect the field by making it a penal to fudge your score, even if it's an accident. That 100% makes sense in tournaments for tournaments that don't aren't professional events.

But the whole official scorecard ritual is antiquated when you have live scoring provided by the PGA and officials keeping/posting the score on the course/TV.

It's like asking MLB managers to score the game manually and swap scorecards. What's the point?

When you think about it, it's a good way to get your opponent DQ'ed. Write down a wrong score on one hole and hope he doesn't catch it before signing - if he does catch it, claim it was an accident, no punishment to you.
Maybe the guy who kept the score should also be DQ'd as well as the player who signed the incorrect card. More care would be taken in recording the scores.

Maybe not but on the PGA tour ALL shots are recorded by Shotlink. Thats how they determine all the strokes gained stats

Well, without talking to the shotlink volunteer who may or may not be available you can’t trust the shot link data. But beyond that do you really want to make a separate rule based on whether or not a particular tour has the right technology available?

Well in these days of pretty much anything, don't trust anyone with anything. If a person can't keep a simple score on a scorecard, unless he can't count past PAR, he needs to move on. Spieth admitted his mistake, it was his not someone else's. I would think he will never make it again.

Well, without talking to the shotlink volunteer who may or may not be available you can’t trust the shot link data. But beyond that do you really want to make a separate rule based on whether or not a particular tour has the right technology available?
The thing is, this isn't rocket science. There's a thread here on THP from a guy who designed Squabbit, a free app for keeping score in tournaments, and it works great. It can create/live update a leaderboard, and keeps track of all kinds of things even beyond what the Tour would need (skins, etc.). With all the PGA Tour's money and access, it wouldn't be difficult at all for them to find a developer who could code what they need to bring their scorekeeping beyond the 19th century.

Back